Who's watching the World Cup?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I predict Netherlands vs. Spain in the final, and if it happens, that's going to be an exciting match. Still, I can't rule Germany out... I just wish Jens Lehmann was capable of being the GK this time around, miss watching him play.

eunoia

Partition Master
Spain putting on a passing clinic (except for near the end hahahaha.) Re-read all the reporters talking about the awesome German squad today, pretty funny eh?

David Villa moping around the field all game was painful to watch, Spain will need at least one striker against Netherlands, Puyol can't do everything.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yeah it was little surprise that Villa ended up coming off. I wish Fabregas was relied upon more... he's hardly been played the entire WC. I still wear my Fabregas shirt each match though :D

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Spain Champions! by 1-0 Again!! man the first 80 min suckd! nothing but yellow cards n kicking n fouls! the last 10+30 min were nice! :D

GFreeman

Coastermaker
Well this has been a major dissapointment for us dutchies.. But still I'm proud of how far we came. I think Web shouldn't be involved with finals. Yes we can't blame the ref, but his influence on the game was enormous. He wasn't capable of being in control. I miss a good referree with the caliber of Colina. Colina didn't hold up the match as much. Before the goal there Sneijders freekick obviously was a corner kick. Then there was an offside moment before the goal.. The many yellow cards we got and freekicks against us was unreal. On the other hand Nigel de Jong was completely out of control with his foul.. Yes he should have gotten a red card for that, but then so should Iniesta when he overreacted after Van Bommels foul..

I had to feeling we would have reached penalties even with 10 guys on the field. I'm very dissapointed, but the fact is the best team has won. I congratulate Spain for that. Although from my point of view we deserved the win.. :(

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I have to agree with Doomsday in that the first 70 - 80 minutes were rather boring... I just couldn't believe that not a single goal was made up to that point. The Dutch were far too aggressive, but in the end, it could have been anyone's game. Even that goal could have been saved, if Stekelenburg's hand was just a bit firmer. In the end though, I'm glad it didn't go to shootouts, and even if it had, I think Spain would have had the upper-hand there.

GFreeman said:
Well this has been a major dissapointment for us dutchies..

No kidding! I was so torn between cheering for either team, because I love so many of the players on each. I thought of you as soon as Spain goaled, haha... I know how that kind of disappointment feels, to come <em>so</em> close and not bring the trophy home.

To be honest, I felt that Webb did a rather fair job. The Dutch players were far too agressive as I mentioned, and I didn't see a single card awarded that wasn't well-deserved, for either team. I do agree that some of his calls were off though, but I am not sure changing them would have changed the outcome of the game. Neither team did anything useful with their free or corner kicks.

The thing that bothered me most the entire match was something done by the Dutch manager, Bert van Marwijk. After being awarded a medal by Dutch royalty, he walked down the steps and immediately took it off from around his neck. Talk about an dick move! Your team played their hearts out to get THAT far, and in truth, the game could have been ANYONE'S, and THAT'S how you show your appreciation? It's disgusting, and shows an utter lack of sportsmanship. Knowing FIFA, they'd probably try to find some way to fine him for his actions, haha.

Either way, it was a good World Cup overall, despite the numerous downsides and upsets. Just sad it's over :(

GFreeman

Coastermaker
The thing that bothered me most the entire match was something done by the Dutch manager, Bert van Marwijk. After being awarded a medal by Dutch royalty, he walked down the steps and immediately took it off from around his neck. Talk about an dick move! Your team played their hearts out to get THAT far, and in truth, the game could have been ANYONE'S, and THAT'S how you show your appreciation? It's disgusting, and shows an utter lack of sportsmanship. Knowing FIFA, they'd probably try to find some way to fine him for his actions, haha.

I think it's understandable as dissapointed as he is now. But you made a point there. I guess people make mistakes when being dissapointed. I think as a coach he's done excellent for our team.

The thing about Web I don't like much is that he interupts the game too often. He doesn't apply the advantage rule like Colina did often smartly. It kept the game going. And if there was no immediate advantage he would give a freekick and cards of needed anyways.. Not very strange the game was boring for 80 minutes lol..

Oh well It wasn't meant to be for us.. :( I hope some day we win the cup...

Last edited:

GFreeman

Coastermaker
The upshot of it.. It's better for the Europian economy that Spain won lol.. :p Yes it is dissapointing our team has that image of "almost" if you ask me. It was van Bronkhorst his last game.. he was a great defender. He had to fall out yesterday with a minor injury.. I saw him making a lot of useful interceptions.

orthancstone

Obliviot
Got to hand it to the keepers yesterday, they both played beautifully despite the game itself being quite ugly. Sure, you could say there were numerous bad touches on the ball when players should've been putting it in the back of the net...but hey, keepers still have to make the play and they both did several times.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ugh, that's disgusting :-/

It has little to do with the World Cup, though. Just has to do with animals being animals.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ugh, that's disgusting :-/

It has little to do with the World Cup, though. Just has to do with animals being animals.

GFreeman

Coastermaker
To be honest, I felt that Webb did a rather fair job. The Dutch players were far too agressive as I mentioned, and I didn't see a single card awarded that wasn't well-deserved, for either team. I do agree that some of his calls were off though, but I am not sure changing them would have changed the outcome of the game. Neither team did anything useful with their free or corner kicks.

Have a look at Nigel de Jong his latest foul, he broke Ben Arfa's leg and has been EXPELLED from the Dutch selection for good reason.. It is sad we are being associated with aggressive play we never used to play aggressively in the past. Well I guess just one or two players can make a change in that.. I also think van Bommel made a couple of nasty fouls in the World Cup..

Anyways enough said it's not a really decent video but it'll explain it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQhlHzeom6I

Last edited: