Who's watching the World Cup?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
First and foremost, if you want to get an interactive schedule for the World Cup, you can check out eunoia's thread :D

So, who out there is watching the World Cup? I have noticed that this time around, there seems to be a LOT of support from those who generally don't care too much about football. Unbelievably, even my own bank is celebrating, by giving out little noise-maker things. And Canada isn't even in it (no surprise)!

The World Cup for me is a bit of an addiction, so I pretty much have my entire month laid-out, with one or two games per day that I plan to watch. The fun part will be working around them, it will be difficult to concentrate, haha!

There have been some good games so far, with Germany vs. Australia in particular being my favorite up to this point. I don't at all believe AUS' Tim Cahill deserved a red card, and think the ref was a bit card-happy, given that there were also five yellows given out the same match. It's a bit upsetting that the first game I watched turned out to be a relative snoozer, Uruguay vs. France... just expected a lot more there.

England vs. USA was interesting, but for the wrong reasons (GK screw-up). The US played well though, so if they keep it up, they might go far in this competition. England on the other hand needs to up their game. It seems as though they didn't expect too much of the US, and once they were found themselves lacking a groove, it was damn hard for them to get it back.

Netherlands vs. Denmark was quite a good match also, but I was expecting a bit more of Denmark. There were a couple of close goals, but the Dutch play some serious football and are difficult as hell to overpower... the team's line-up is drool-worthy! I can't believe the team waited so long to bring Eljero Elia on the pitch, though. They need to start him next match, because that dude can seriously play, and is a blast to watch.

Italy vs. Paraguay on in a couple of minutes...

I love the World Cup :D

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It hasn't been that boring! You must be watching the wrong matches ;-)

To be fair, about half of the games so far have been a bit lackluster, but others, such as GER vs. AUS and NED vs. DEN have been quite interesting. I missed JPN vs. CAM today, but it looks like that was a rather good one as well.

Tomorrow should be a good day for matches. There's Ivory Coast vs. Portugal during midday and then Brazil vs. People's Republic of Korea in the evening. Should be good! Really amped up for Spain vs. Switzerland on Wednesday as well.

eunoia

Partition Master
Difficult not to get caught up in WC fever. Watching the CBC NZL-SVK stream right now, a blessing really since I don't have a T.V. (and sports bars generally aren't serving at 7:30 A.M.:)

As dominant as Germany started, I still like what I saw from The Netherlands, they're my team this time around until the (bitter?) end.

Go Orange!

eunoia

Partition Master
That game was worth watching, New Zealand ties in the 93rd minute. Gotta love the underdog...

Go North Korea! :D

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
damn! Cote'd Voire Vs Portugal was a good match, shame to see none score though!

Brazzillllallalalaaaa!!

eunoia

Partition Master
Oh man, North Korea came so close to beating Brazil, if snipers hadn't shot Jong Tae-Se in the thigh, and capitalist running dogs stunned their goalkeeper with a satellite mind ray...

At least that's how the Supreme Leader will tell it. :D

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Haha, I've been watching SO much football, it's insane. I almost feel like I need a break, with nine games watched since the beginning. I'm joking, I love this :D

So far there's been a couple of good matches, but I can't believe the end scores are remaining so low! My favorite match so far has to be changed from Germany vs. Australia to Brazil vs. North Korea. You're right eunoia, NK could have had it if they were just a bit luckier. Their defense was unbelievable. In my head, I called them the Great Wall of Korea. Anytime Brazil got in their box, they huddled around the player like peas on carrots.

The Spain vs. Switzerland match was a bit disappointing... I expected a lot more out of the Spaniards. I mean, come on... just LOOK at their line-up! They should have dominated the Swiss, but it just didn't happen. Kudos to Switzerland nonetheless though, that was an... interesting goal :D

I liked Soccernet's headline for the match: "No holes in Swiss D: Switzerland tops Spain"

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Germany lose to Serbia, damn it! Damn u Ref, u burn in hell! :D

Oooh Engy, what happened art thou Engy!? u couldnot even defeat Algeria! What do u expect when u start with Heskey, with Joe Cole and Crouch on the f****in Bench!!!

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am starting to wonder if the World Cup is even worth watching, because there have been some MAJOR mistakes on behalf of the refs in a couple of games, and FIFA just refuses to overturn the ruling. Last night's Brazil vs. Cote d'Ivore match was riddled with unruled incidents, such as Fabiano's dual handballs that resulted in a goal, and then Tiote running into Kaka, being knocked down, and then Kaka getting the red! To make it worse, Tiote was just acting! He ran his chest into Kaka's elbow, and then immediately grabbed his face due to "pain"? There's no need of this crap in football!

Mistakes do happen, but this World Cup has just been riddled with them left right and center. Sometimes it's the refs fault, other times it's the fault of FIFA, being stuck in the stone age and not wanting to invest in new technologies. It's rather absurd for a sports association as rich as this one.

As for Portugal, I didn't see that game but the end score is going to be hard to beat I'm sure ;-)

GFreeman

Coastermaker
I am watching too, epecially like to see Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Portugal and Holland land lol.. I'm a dutchy so keeping track of the Dutch games for sure! Although I must say we've played efficiently, but it hasn't been great to watch so far. We'll see what comes up next! :)

Rob: speaking of mistakes, did you see that French referee point his finger at Fabiano.. like don't do that next time kiddo.. this time it's gonna count as a superior goal.. Unbelievable! The referee in the Chili - Switzerland game was pretty aweful too lol..

As for the whole tournament: it's just kicking off if you ask me.. I haven't seen that many great games so far..

Last edited:

GFreeman

Coastermaker
LOL the biggest mistake of all is that FIFA dragging some Dutch girls in orange Bavaria dresses to court, because Budweiser is the sponser of the tournament. They are just orange dresses, there is no Bavaria name on it. Congratulations FIFA you guys made Bavaria's promotion even more successful lol.. Pathetic these girls had to spend a night in jail.. lol.. They have been dragged to court too.. FIFA even said they could be locked up for six months.. omg. They have been bought out of jail, but court still awaits for them.

Last edited:

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
LOL the biggest mistake of all is that FIFA dragging some Dutch girls in orange Bavaria dresses to court, because Budweiser is the sponser of the tournament. They are just orange dresses, there is no Bavaria name on it. Congratulations FIFA you guys made Bavaria's promotion even more successful lol.. Pathetic these girls had to spend a night in jail.. lol.. They have been dragged to court too.. FIFA even said they could be locked up for six months.. omg. They have been bought out of jail, but court still awaits for them.

i didnot understand why this happened though? wots wrong with their dress? :confused:

GFreeman

Coastermaker
FIFA is attempting to protect one the the Word Cup sponsors "Budweiser". The orange dress is from Bavaria and they aren't part of the list of sponsors of the World Cup. There is no Bavaria label on it or anything.. Kinda stupid really.. I don't really get it either.. :-s

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
I am starting to wonder if the World Cup is even worth watching, because there have been some MAJOR mistakes on behalf of the refs in a couple of games, and FIFA just refuses to overturn the ruling. Last night's Brazil vs. Cote d'Ivore match was riddled with unruled incidents, such as Fabiano's dual handballs that resulted in a goal, and then Tiote running into Kaka, being knocked down, and then Kaka getting the red! To make it worse, Tiote was just acting! He ran his chest into Kaka's elbow, and then immediately grabbed his face due to "pain"? There's no need of this crap in football!

Mistakes do happen, but this World Cup has just been riddled with them left right and center. Sometimes it's the refs fault, other times it's the fault of FIFA, being stuck in the stone age and not wanting to invest in new technologies. It's rather absurd for a sports association as rich as this one.

As for Portugal, I didn't see that game but the end score is going to be hard to beat I'm sure ;-)

even cricket has third empire review decisions and so much stuff to check whats right and wrong, FIFA is just being plain stoopid!:mad:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
GFreeman said:
I am watching too, epecially like to see Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Portugal and Holland land lol.. I'm a dutchy so keeping track of the Dutch games for sure!

I think I mentioned it before, but I'm a Dutch fan also... some wicked footballers there!

GFreeman said:
Rob: speaking of mistakes, did you see that French referee point his finger at Fabiano.. like don't do that next time kiddo.. this time it's gonna count as a superior goal.. Unbelievable! The referee in the Chili - Switzerland game was pretty aweful too lol..

Yes, that was unbelievable. It doesn't make the official look too innocent when he has this huge grin on his face while asking Fabiano if he did a handball. It's as if he knew for certain there was hand contact but just decided to let it slide. Kind of reminds me of a France vs. Ireland match...

GFreeman said:
LOL the biggest mistake of all is that FIFA dragging some Dutch girls in orange Bavaria dresses to court, because Budweiser is the sponser of the tournament.

I read into this and I don't think FIFA took the girls to court, but rather Bavaria. But to keep things calm, charges have been dropped and Bavaria has pretty much agreed to not perform ambush marketing through to 2022. I kind of agree with FIFA on this, because it IS ambush marketing, and marketing that the company didn't pay for. It'd be like me going around to all of our competitor's forums and spamming our website there... I don't think many people would appreciate it.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
France is out! Henry looks to be coming on now, NOW after all the crapp that the coach has done! France's coach disgusts me! freakin' retard!