Project: Deuce

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Ahhhhhhhhh I was waiting to see how it would look....And it's looken good.

as far as mounting to the rads, maybe a small piece of acrylic going from one leg to another, glued some way, then fasten, you could always unfasten and slide the rad out later if needed.

just a thought....You're doing great...
I hope to see this one in the mod contest as well.

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

You and I are on the same page... I am actually thinking about a piece of blue acrylic that has holes cut in it for the barbs then heated to wrap up the sides and be glued using the weld-on acrylic glue. That stuff actually breaks up the chemical matrix of the acrylic on both sides, then as it "dries", the acrylic forms a solid bond of acrylic through the joint. Almost like a chemical weld.

And, "Oh Hell Yeah!", this thing will be in the ModShop! ;)

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Good afternoon everyone! Midways through my vacation between jobs, I've gotten a lot done! Between prototypes and paint decisions, I'm feeling very good!

Reservoir brackets are prototyped. I used paper to get my measurements down. I wanted on solid piece of acrylic and, if my plans go accordingly, it will use 3 bends per end to make the reservoir brackets. There will be a few more alterations to the presentation, but they will eventually be screwed into the sides of the 5.25" bay area.
res_bracket.jpg

res_bracket2.jpg

My 5th, and final flame test. "Keep it Simple"... and I like it the most! Color is spot on!
flamev5.jpg

flamev5a.jpg

flamev5b.jpg

flamev5c.jpg

flamev5d.jpg

flamev5e.jpg

flamev5f.jpg

I was looping a flame strand under another lick, and I tried this... I got it 50% right! ;) I know what I did wrong and will correct it when I apply this same painting technique to the side panels!
flamev5g_scar.jpg

Learned that I was pushing too hard on the blade when weeding my graphics of the excess tape... note to self, "GO EASY!"
flamev5h_scar.jpg

Also, I am not giving up on the "true fire" style of painting, it's just taking a bit more practice than I was anticipating... but practice is good!
;)
flame_practice.jpg

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Ok, first round of painting is done. I have a bit of cleanup to do around the panel where some of the tape let a bit through, but for the initial application, it looks good!

I have some airbrushing that I need to do as well as some *gulp* pin striping if I can pull it off! (have those other panels to practice on). The striping will be on the outer edge of the green flame work. But the process is committed to the panels now! :)

flamev5i.jpg

flamev5j.jpg

flamev5k.jpg

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Started a new job on Monday... so I have been a bit distracted getting myself acclimated to the new company and it's work requirements.

Looks like this is going to be a good match! ;)

No "work" updates, but I'd like to introduce you to a sweet sponsorship that just blossomed!

palit1.jpg

http://www.palit.biz

Palit is not a well known video card brand here in the USA... yet! ;) They are making a very strong push into the enthusiast market, and with recent reviews of their technology being very strong and promising.... I dont see them going anywhere but up! To work with the Deuce theme, I was shipped 2 of their 1GB 8800GT video cards, for a total of 2GB of frame buffer luvin! Perfect!

video.jpg

video2.jpg

video3.jpg

video4.jpg

My issue that I have to get creative about is that the card is not an NVidia "reference card" design, and as such, the full cover liquid cooling solutions that I was moving toward... wont work. So, now I get to be creative! With a rework in the power system as well as the additional 512MB of memory on the back of the unit, that is going to make it a bit tricky! Before I pull the coolers, I am going to put the cards into the current machine and bench them and make sure there is no artifactingm because once I start pulling these apart, I'm pretty sure Palit's warranty will go bye bye... :)

I've already got a plan or two to really jazz this card up, liquid cool it, and cool the memory and the VR's... I have some options!

gonna be tricky, but I think I'll be able to get some good performance *and* good looks!

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Congrats on the sponsorship man! We've reviewed two Palit cards in the past and have more en route. Only good things to say about them so far.

I do admit that the cooler on that card is the ugliest I've ever seen though. I guess tearing those off is really the only option. Interested to see where you go with it though, haha.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Congrats on the sponsorship man! We've reviewed two Palit cards in the past and have more en route. Only good things to say about them so far.

I do admit that the cooler on that card is the ugliest I've ever seen though. I guess tearing those off is really the only option. Interested to see where you go with it though, haha.
I'm reading that the 7900 series water blocks work with the 8800Gt.
Everyone is saying the mounting holes match up.

One of them here

Last edited:

madmat

Soup Nazi
I'm reading that the 7900 series water blocks work with the 8800Gt.
Everyone is saying the mounting holes match up.

One of them here

The GPU only blocks work but the ramsink screw holes are in different locations so full coverage blocks don't work.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
I'm going to tear down one of the cards in a few days after I have burned them in and made sure they both are working units.

I have a couple of block/cooling alternatives, including a guy in OK with a CNC setup that is interested in helping me do custom water blocks! ;)

We'll see what happens!

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
WOO HOO!!!

Fun stuff!

These will eventually be bent into my reservoir brackets that will mount them to the inside of my 5.25 bay area.
acrylic.jpg

The units with the holes in the pic below will be for retaining my fill ports, the additional flames are for decorative accenting.... but where? ;)
acrylic2.jpg

Flames anyone??
acrylic3.jpg

This will be my solution for supporting the rad from below, you'll see how it all ties together! ;)
acrylic4.jpg

With a little back light, you can see the bottom etching I threw in on the piece.... DEUCE!!
acrylic5.jpg

Etched material from the back
acrylic6.jpg

Flames with the res....
acrylic7.jpg

Fire and water anyone? ;)
acrylic8.jpg

More later!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Haha, oh man this is getting good. I love the "Duece", what inspired you to design the logo like that?

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Awesome.....Just awesome bud.....
Almost time to get my barn cleaned out for airbrushing.
And the fire and ice idea is great.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Haha, oh man this is getting good. I love the "Duece", what inspired you to design the logo like that?

I had actually picked hte font up to assist with the DSF case (The Mo and Turco laser etch on the back used some of these characters)

I have just found myself liking the whole "tagging" font thing as of late, and this one is one of my favorites that I have picked up. I had Deuce in about 8 or 9 final font orientations, and paired it down to 3-5, then put them in front of the wife, and she picked this one!

So, we both liked this one, and as such, it stayed!
;)

Thanks guys!

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Ok, lets have some fun on an update!
;)

I've been ordering and receiving a LOT of equipment as of late. Between painting supplies and acrylic fabrication supplies... plus some modding add ons for this unit... it's been a bit crazy at my house for a week, while the dust settles! So, the last 2 days, I went out and started using one of my newest pieces of equipment, an acrylic heater/bender!
bender.jpg

Let me just say, for the record, this makes for a much higher quality bend in thicker acrylic, as you dont take the change of accidentally overheating it and causing it to flame up or get too hot. Doing so causes bubbles in the material... not pretty! But to test how well it worked on 1/4" sheet cell cast acrylic, I dropped a practice piece on the heated unit for about a minute (going to take a stop watch out there and get a good precise time that is needed) and resulted in this, nice, smooth, no bubble bend on 1/4" acrylic..... Mmmmmmmmmm! :)
bender_thick.jpg

I also ordered some 1/8" clear acrylic rods...
eighth_rods.jpg

"What on earth for?", I hear you asking....
well, light pipes! I have some ideas on this, we'll see if they make the final cut!
eighth_rods2.jpg

Back to the video cards.. and their initial water cooling install....
Strip off the old stuff, which is actually a very good heatsink:
palit1.jpg

palit2.jpg

Thermal pads had excellent placement, and the heatsink TIM on the core was precisely placed, and not gobbed on! I was very happy to seee this, and thought that some of you may want to seriously consider Palit as a video card distributor. Very good use of thermal material on this disassembly!!!
palit3.jpg

Ceramique - The choice of champions!
palit_cerim.jpg

A group shot with hte cards nekkid...
palit4.jpg

And a group shot of the impending new equipment...
palit5.jpg

The cores cleaned up nicely using alcohol and papertowels:
palit6.jpg

One before and one after, to show a comparison:
palit7_b4after.jpg

A close up of the DangerDen Maze5 block mounted:
palit8.jpg

Both cards done and looking siiiiiick!
palit9_sli.jpg

I have plans on how to re-use the video shroud, here was a test fit. I have several ideas on how I want this bit of the mod to proceed:
palit10_tester.jpg

And the pumps were not exempt to the modding... I picked up some clear acrylic tops for my Swiftech 355's!
pump1.jpg

One down, and one to go! Good comparison reference:
pump2.jpg

Both tops mounted with the barbs attached:
pump3.jpg

The acrylic has 2 spaces per top to embed LED's.... you can bet I'll be taking advantage of those!
pump4_light.jpg

The pics below, you will note that this one bracket was only a bending test piece. one end was performed using a heatgun or torch, and the other end was performed using the new bending station.
This end used the heatgun, and as you can see it is less than precise.
res_support_bad.jpg

Ow....
res_support_bad2.jpg

The end that was bent using the station is MUCH more precise! Bends are good quality and well executed. No rippling or bubbles:
res_support_good.jpg

And a test fit of the res in the bracket.
res_n_bracket.jpg

Lots more to come!

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Some great ideas flowing here.

On the video card, what ram cooling are you going to use?
I installed the Duorb on my GT and used the Zalman ram heatsinks ( just to make sure )
The Danggerden Maze5 wc looks great
I may do that with the other 8800GT

Merlin

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Some great ideas flowing here.

On the video card, what ram cooling are you going to use?
I installed the Duorb on my GT and used the Zalman ram heatsinks ( just to make sure )
The Danggerden Maze5 wc looks great
I may do that with the other 8800GT

Merlin

Ram cooling is going to be a bit of a trick, as I have a specific idea for it, and it is 1GB of memory (front and back). I could use available retail cooling strategies that are out there, but you know me.... if it does not look right, I have to figure something else out! Can't say more than that because I am still working on it. But suffice to say... if it works the way I am hoping it will work, this will be a *very* sweet looking cooling system for the video memory!
:)

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Tech Daddy..... looking awesome brother!

If your interested in good RAM sinks for your GPUs, I suggest OCZ's offerings. They are thin finned copper sinks. I also have those same blocks sitting on a self that I used when I had my 7800 GT SLI setup. You can expect some good performance out of them. I prefer those single block solutions better than RAM+CPU blocks as they add a LOT of weight to the card and don't cool the memory much better, if any, than a simple sink from OCZ or Zalman.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Seen them and liked them! And should plan A not work out, then Plan B comes into play! ;)

Either OCZ or Swiftech BGA's will be dolloped onto each chip.

But if PLan A works out... hehehehe, it'll be freaking COOL! (no pun intended)

I'll give you guys a hint, http://www.petrastechshop.com/cu98cokitbyi.html

but more in line with how I do things.... ;)

ANd I have a friend with a CNC that is helping! :eek::eek:
I just shipped off one of the cards to help with the prototyping.

SHHHHHH!!!!! ;)