Project: Deuce

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Thanks guys!

Looking great TD! Are those flames going to remain the same color on the final product? I like the fact that you are experimenting with the color and not going down the same road so many have with generic coloring.

The flames will be green, but I am going to try and work in the purple color I was going to use for the accent pin stripe, but instead use it to accent the flames. The purple was supposed to be much deeper, but I botched the mix ratio with the transparent base that the candy called for... so it came out light and runny.

The purple accents will be much deeper, and I am going to try and incorporate more shades of green in the final build of the fire. some brighter green accents, possibly some yellow green blends...

I've still got a couple design ideas for layouts that I am going to experiment with, so... stay tuned!

If I have time, and the humidity is not too high... I may step out tonight and paint 2 panels black in preparation for my next experiments. That'll help me get the lead out on my painting and practice, practice, practice!!

I just discovered this gem of a website, and I must say you are all very dedicated.

And this looks like it will be sick, the colors etc are so awesome. Really must take alot of time and effort to do this man, my hat is off to you and everyone else who takes part in this kind of activity.

Seriously, good job man. I can't wait to see the finished product.

NicePants42

Partition Master
I like the paint, TechDaddy! At this point they don't really look like fire, they look round and bubbly, like some kind of gelatenous webbing, almost. It's the wettest looking fire I've ever seen, which I think is perfect.

Of course, you'll probably sharpen everything up with accents and eliminate the liquidy feel - but if it were me, I'd give it a second thought.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Well.... beautiful weather... combined with some time in the garage... equals....

3rd attempt.

I'm starting to plan out how the flames will be on the panel, so I was simulating the curve of the blue graphic...

here is what I plopped down tonight.

I think I figured out what I was doing wrong from the previous 2, and made this one better, but I just thought of something that I did that caused a lot of my overspray, and I'm going to go out and rectify that tonight. Might be a v4 if I can get my equipment cleaned up and re-racked for the 4th attempt.
:)

flamev3.jpg

flamev3b.jpg

flamev3c.jpg

flamev3d.jpg

Getting closer!
;)

More later!

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Looking good Bud......and I see you also use AutoAir paint.
I was going to try to use House Of Kolor, till I saw the price tag.

Merlin

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Absolutely DJ! I cant build normal computers. I Have one in my house, and it's like a splinter in my brain.... it will get modded... oh yes, it will! ;)

Took a couple of days off at the beginning of the week for my daughter's birthday, and had some spare time.... so I whipped out another panel.

Different colors, this one was more teal than green.

I like the design, not a big fan of the color. My wife likes both the color and the design.
;)
flamev4.jpg

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Good evening everyone... just got myself settled after a weekend meeting with the AustinModders (www.austinmodders.com), great to see all you guys again!

While down there, one of the big pieces of this mod came to me.... to say that I am happy would be a severe understatement!

This is 1/4" transparent blue acrylic... that I had lasered to be the rad stand.
This shot is simply to give you a little depth on the color... it really is striking!

rad_stand0a.jpg

These are pieces that were the centers of flame licks.

The whole cut:
rad_stand0.jpg

And several more shots after I got home:
rad_stand1.jpg

rad_stand2.jpg

rad_stand3.jpg

rad_stand4.jpg

rad_stand5.jpg

rad_stand6.jpg

rad_stand7.jpg

I have 98% of these flames cut. Due to the thickness of the material, and the density, some of the laser cuts did not make it all the way through. They are only a few places, but due to the delicate and intricate nature of this cut, it is absolutely essential that I have all of the cuts completed and not hanging as I pull the negative parts of the cut out. I have a plan where I will use an intricate engraver bit on my flexi-shaft Craftsman rotary tool, and use that to complete the cut from the back side of the piece. That way, if I do have a minor scratch, it will not be on the surface of the acrylic.

I have to take this moment to publically thank the person who cut this for me. A good friend that chooses to remain confidential, but they spent almost a full 10 hours cutting this. Only after the cutting had started, did we realize that the density of the material combined with the power of the laser... was going to lead to a Looooong manufacture time. *tips hat* Those that know this person, please quietly nod your head, but do not give his identity away.

After I get both frames removed, my next "impossible* task is to get it bent to the form I want without damaging it... ;) something that many are skeptical I can do! Might even be "crazy" for trying... but that is what I am. I have 2 of these to try and make work. if they do not work, then I have to find another way to execute the vision! ;) Wish me luck!

I'll post up pics of the rad stands after I have them removed.
:D

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Damn, man. I cannot wait to see that paper removed! Kudos to the nameless friend who helped out there... that seems like a seriously tedious job, but the results look extremely solid.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Thanks Rob! Neither can I! I'll remove it after Iheat form it to the shape I am aiming for...

*finally* had both time and weather!

Acrylic is not something I like to muck with when it is pretty cold... I feel like it makes it more brittle. Might be just me, but if I am going to be working with my only 2 copies of my rad stand, I'm taking every precaution, real or likewise... that could make the flames unexpectedly snap....

Well, this last week was busy, then I got clipped with a cold, and that yanked the batteries for about 3 days. Feeling a bit better, the weather warmed up... so I put in a few hours in the garage!

Using a combination of bits, I slowly and carefully worked my way around the acrylic, sometimes using a fine tipped engraving bit, other times using a reinforced wheel... and I started making progress"
rad_stand8.jpg

I had to put a light underneath the acrylic to make out the cuts that were completely through, and then focus on the areas that were still hung.
rad_stand9.jpg

Some of the chunks coming off...
rad_stand10.jpg

Here you can see how I was using the light to path the cuts:
rad_stand11.jpg

Ohhhhh daaaaamn.... almost there!!!
rad_stand12.jpg

3 hours later, the 1st one if free!!!!
rad_stand13.jpg

No broken flames, everything successfully released! I have a bit of careful filing and some polishing to do, but otherwise... HELL YEAH!!!!!

now.. add into this wonderful weekend of success, my wife opted to give me my birthday presents early (Later this month on the 21st) and she landed a 22" wide screen LCD on my lap today! Also got me an MP3 player so that I can listen to tunez while I work out! (I have *got* to get into better shape!)

So.... I'm ecstatic this weekend!

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Fantastic work, I don't know how you manage to keep it from breaking into a thousand little pieces................;)

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Yep... for all of it's thin pieces, it is pretty durable. This will be heated and bent into a wrapping/encompassing radiator stand for the top of the build.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Took the day off from work today to celebrate the ol B-Day, and what better way, than to move ahead on the mod! ;)
First thing up is that in order for me to get most of these bends proper, I build a wooden jig that I could heat the acrylic up on and not worry about damaginf the joints in the rad. Last thing I wanted to do was do something that caused joints in the rad to unsweat...

1st pic is the acrylic laying ontop of my wooden rad/bending jig:
rad_stand14.jpg

Started heating the corners and applying even pressure to the side:
rad_stand15.jpg

rad_stand16.jpg

Eyeballing the other side.....
rad_stand17.jpg

And my first 4 bends are completed! YAY!!!! (wipes sweat)
rad_stand18.jpg

rad_stand19.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll try to get the rad into the acrylic and see how sturdy this is, and what I need to do to get it mounted into the roof section. I've got a plan, I just have to see if it will work! ;)

I've still gotta finish the bends to see how well it attaches to the top of the case... I may end up having to remake this acrylic to a different dimension. If I have to do it again, then you can count on the fact that I will use a local water jetter to cut this (same person that did DST). Or else I will have to source a larger wattage laser cutter. I already have the sheet of acrylic ready if this does not turn out well, but I'm going to do my very best to make this work! I am certailin not going to waste all the effort that my friend put into cutting this!

Damn, I'm happy to have finally bent this stuff!

Oh yeah, and to pinpoint the heat, I used a propane torch. My heat gun was too broad. I needed pinpoint heat application to make sure I did not have unnecessary bowing and shift in the acrylic.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
I did some interpretive "test mounting" today to see how the frame responded.

Not even really a test fit, just an estimation of "where everything is going to go..."

rad_stand20.jpg

rad_stand21.jpg

rad_stand22.jpg

rad_stand23.jpg

The rad will be sitting lower than this in order for the legs to have enough material to be integrated into the top of the case roof.

What I have come up with is that my initial thoughts of having the rad unit structurally supported from wrap under flame licks to the mid section and some encompassing end wraps to hold its front and back... is not going to work. I'll need to integrate the load bearing into each of the 4 "legs", which is likely to mean I'm going to fabricate some sort of support mechanism for the top and bottom of the rad and find a way to tie it into the legs.

When I rested the rad on top of the frame, it was easily supported, When I started suspending the unit the way I was planning on tying it all together, the little simulations had a lot of frame flex. So, I will find a way to tie in my support to the four corners. I've already got an idea... we'll see what happens!

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Ahhhhhhhhh I was waiting to see how it would look....And it's looken good.

as far as mounting to the rads, maybe a small piece of acrylic going from one leg to another, glued some way, then fasten, you could always unfasten and slide the rad out later if needed.

just a thought....You're doing great...
I hope to see this one in the mod contest as well.

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage: