Welll.... how did I build the card shroud?
First thing though.... It's not totally done. I still have to get a fan mounted in the bottom of this thing, under the Palit logo.
Secondly... I need to get my bolts to properly screw in and hold in... that is always challenging!
But enough about the technicalities... here's how this all went down.
Starting with the blue, 1/4" acrylic, I drew out the design on the protective paper, then cut it out in a general, more manageable form from the 24"x24" panel.
I made the design so that I had flames wrapping around the tubing paths leading to the MAZE5 GPU block. Knowing that the OD of the tubing was 5/8", I grabbed me a spade bit of equivalent diameter and put it on the drill press, and made the preliminary holes for the tubing... keeping in mind that with bending and sanding, the shape of the flames would likely change.
I then dropped in some maneuvering holes to be used while working the scroll saw. My thinking was to put them in places that I may have difficulty turning the acrylic on the saw.
After the initial scroll saw cutting, the rough shape is defined. I was not totally concerned about missing my lines on the flames, as flame work sometimes takes on a life of it's own... and if I had a few flames that were not perfect... I was cool with that! Sanding will refine the shapes as I progress!
For measurement sake, I kept referring back to the card to make sure my perspective was correct. The "P" logo on the right is for Palit, the vedor that is graciously letting me mod some of their product!
Got the P logo cut out, and then compared it against the print out of the logo... not bad! There will be a bit of sanding here to refine the edges. Same concept here... I drilled holes in strategic places on the acrylic to allow me to manuver the scroll saw in some of the tight places.
Take off the paper protector to see how badly I've butchered this piece.... and was pleasantly surprised to not have any cracks or splinters! But... oh my, do I have a lot of cleanup and sanding to do!
Just did the first bend on the side facing the card slot. I also had to cut a notch for the DVI ports. I used the acrylic bender to heat the bending line, then used two blocks of wood to press and hold the bend. My second shroud will be produced a bit differently on the bending technique, as the wood grain left some unwanted imperfections i nthe surface of the acrylic. I'm going to build me another bending jig to mimic the size of the video card and the height that I need.
I flame polished the edges of the entire piece. Lemme say, that it can really, really, *really* make the edges look good.... or it can throw a horrible wrench into the appearance if you over cook an edge. It is a very delicate dance that you must perform, *especially* on the thiner pieces (in my case the flame tips).
Looking underneath the first bend and checking my clearance.
Flip it over and visualize.... I started seeing problems with my tube inlets in this shot, and started investigating....
I <3 this shot...
I dropped in 2 sample pieces of tubing to see how they would fit, and saw that they were not passing through as freely or as straight as I had hoped. So, I ended up taking my dremmel's sanding drum, and sanding/enlarging the opening to better accommodate the tubing. I also reshaped many pieces of flame work, then re-flame polished the edges.
After some more adjustments, I ended up with the below unit. Notice the flame next to the PCI power. I Had to bend a flame lick to insure that it would not impede any power cabling. Because I kept it, I May reshape it to wrap it around the cable line...
Actually, I have a sweet idea for integrated cable management for the PCI power. I'll have to build it off of the top card since it requires a long piece of acrylic to be pulled and shaped from the main body... heheheh, fun fun!