Logitech X-540 5.1 Speakers

P

Pieter B

Extend rear boxes

Hello Rob, and everyone else.

I have ordered these speakers but have noticed on the logitech website that the wires to the rearboxes won't be long enough. I have been browsing the internet but cannot find a proper cable that can extend my rear wires.

I have found this: http://www.brico.be/wabs/nl/catalogus/p486433/kabel.do

Is this what I am looking for?
And will there be a quality difference?

Thanks in advance
Pieter (Belgium)

madstork91

The One, The Only...
If you are extending from the computer to the sub then you will need something along those lines for every output/input line from the computer to the sub. (which then feeds the speakers)

but...

If you are trying to extend from the sub to the speakers then you will need a wire extensions more like the A/v cables you would find on a console with either both a male and female end, or a way to attach them. Like this:
ux_a08010800ux0051_ux_g.jpg

I use an extension like this for my wii setup. :)

You can usually find either of these types of cords in a Radioshack (or w/e its called in canada) But since i hear some of those are shutting down, you may try your local walmart. (Bestbuy is also an option.)

Good luck with your audio, and keep on rocking in the free world. lml,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdiCJUysIT0

Last edited:
B

bob

matriz mode not working

hey guys i was just wondering if you guys have a problem with the matrix mode. i stored my speakers for 3 months and put it back together and the matrix mode is not working anymore. the front right, the front left and the center are not working at all also. I am thinking the connection inside is bad or is there a trick to it.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Hi Bob, that sounds like some of the plugs aren't connected, or were connected to the wrong jacks. Have you installed the drivers for your sound device and checked the plug profile to see if it can detect which jacks the speakers are plugged into? It should be possible for you to reassign different sound jacks to perform line-out, center/sub, in case it is an issue with the jack itself. If the speakers don't work in normal mode then neither will they work in matrix mode.

S

spankz

X-540 Control Pod Schematic? OR ?

Sept. 2009

I'll shorten this up a bit. 3 weeks ago got X-540 Speakers. Control pod had problem with limited control of subwoofer bass. No base until rotated almost totally clockwise then I would get all the bass. It was all or nothing. Logitech very nice and sent me new system after I cut off the control pod and sent it to them. Now on second system it's amazing but the subwoofer speaker rattles soooo bad it is unuseable. My thought...switch the speaker from the other unit. But I figured oh heck, it's brand new and if there's another problem I could run into a warranty void situation. So I cut off the control pod, sent it to Logitech and I'm currently waiting for the 3rd X-540 system to arrive. Now I have 2 complete systems less control pods and 1 faulty sub speaker. Sure would be nice if I had some kind of schematic for the control pod wiring OR if someone has a bad something and a good control pod I might get my hands on OR if someone has a bad speaker and needs a cheap replacement(like shipping cost only..I'm not trying to make any profit here), something could possibly benefit somebody somehow. I suppose I'll keep all this extra stuff in the shed and check here on occasion to see if any follow up. OR spankz1atgmaildotcom for contact.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Sept. 2009
I'll shorten this up a bit. 3 weeks ago got X-540 Speakers. Control pod had problem with limited control of subwoofer bass. ... Now on second system it's amazing but the subwoofer speaker rattles soooo bad it is unuseable.

The first time around was probably a bad ground on the Bass control. A tiny speck of solder would most likely have straightened it right out... no problem for most technicians.

The second time sounds more like either something loose in the sub-woofer housing or a defective speaker. It's unlikely to be the control pod that's your problem.

But mostly you really should stop cutting things up... with most companies, your warranty would be gone in a heartbeat.

My recommendation... If you hadn't cut the wiring, would have been to take it back to the store where you got it and get a replacement... but this time have them hook it up and test it before you take it home. At least then you have a known good system with your warranty intact.

Last edited:
S

spankz

control pod

Just so ya know..
At Logitechs request..."Cut off the control pod and send it to us". This is how they keep the shipping cost down on warranty returns. Basically it makes the rest of the system worthless. Also, I am very capable of swapping a speaker and or soldering a few wires and connections but being new, warranty is the only way to go. Also seeing as how these were purchased online...it's difficult to test them first don't you think? That was a worthless post.

U

Unregistered

Will the speakers....

Will the satellite speakers (the 4 longish ones) stick to my walls without any screws or anything?

like does it have a sticky pad on the bottom to stick to my wall or what?

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Just so ya know..
At Logitechs request..."Cut off the control pod and send it to us". This is how they keep the shipping cost down on warranty returns. Basically it makes the rest of the system worthless. Also, I am very capable of swapping a speaker and or soldering a few wires and connections but being new, warranty is the only way to go. Also seeing as how these were purchased online...it's difficult to test them first don't you think? That was a worthless post.

Wow... Logitec told you to do that... That's a new one on me.

And yes warranty is the way to go... except that you're getting another unknown in the box... But you really don't have a choice when buying online.

skier

Obliviot
connection for laptop?

What kind of audio cable(s) come with the Logitech X540's that allow you to connect this speaker system to a laptop? As one would expect, my new laptop only has the standard headset plug-in. Does the X540 come with such a cable, or are you required to have a special audio card in your laptop to connect to? If so, what type of audio card is required?

I don't believe it matters, but the onboard laptop speakers are Altec-Lansing, so of course that's the built-in drivers also.

I'd like to know in advance so I can determine if I can order them from HP.. Currently HP has them for $75 ($25 instant rebate), plus I get another 20% off due to having purchased my laptop & other accessories from them recently..

Thx, Don

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
What kind of audio cable(s) come with the Logitech X540's that allow you to connect this speaker system to a laptop? As one would expect, my new laptop only has the standard headset plug-in. Does the X540 come with such a cable, or are you required to have a special audio card in your laptop to connect to? If so, what type of audio card is required?

It speakers work in a regular PC using the green audio cable, then they'll work in the laptop. While the laptop shows a headphones icon for the audio, regular speakers will work there fine also.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Hey guys!

i was thinking of going for some affordable 5.1s! Will it be a big difference from 4.1 to 5.1s?! even a small one will do, if it be significant, lol!
the 5.1 i can buy are:

1)Logitech X-540 5.1 Speaker
2)Logitech X530
3)Creative Inspire T-6100 5.1 Speaker System

any ideas!??? i will do some review reading too but never hurts to ask innit! lol!

PS: oh and i just moved the 2 speakers which r supposed to be the back one, i had them on my left and front side but wider of the front ones, but now i moved em to my left/right back and the difference in sound is amazing! truly surround, which is why i want a proper 5.1!

Last edited:

gibbersome

Coastermaker
Hey guys!

i was thinking of going for some affordable 5.1s! Will it be a big difference from 4.1 to 5.1s?! even a small one will do, if it be significant, lol!
the 5.1 i can buy are:

1)Logitech X-540 5.1 Speaker
2)Logitech X530
3)Creative Inspire T-6100 5.1 Speaker System

any ideas!??? i will do some review reading too but never hurts to ask innit! lol!

PS: oh and i just moved the 2 speakers which r supposed to be the back one, i had them on my left and front side but wider of the front ones, but now i moved em to my left/right back and the difference in sound is amazing! truly surround, which is why i want a proper 5.1!

My friend has an X-540, it packs quite a punch. How much can you get them for? Be aware though that Logitech has been known to skimp on wire lengths, what size room will you need these for?

Also, what will you be using them for? Gaming, music, movies, etc.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
My friend has an X-540, it packs quite a punch. How much can you get them for? Be aware though that Logitech has been known to skimp on wire lengths, what size room will you need these for?

Also, what will you be using them for? Gaming, music, movies, etc.

Logitec speakers are generally characterized by good electronics packages (you can build a decent amplifier for peanuts these days) coupled to really bad satellite speakers. I have a set of X-240s which I didn't hesitate to modify with the expected far better results. Most of the "beaming" and "one note bass" complaints are related to characteristics of their speakers and enclosures. Typical of PC speakers they used tiny little paper coned speakers (2" communications speakers) in thin plastic cases (less than 2mm thick)... expect them to sound boxy and nasal beside real audio gear.

Frankly, for not too much more money you could get a proper home theatre amplifier and speakers which I'm very sure will give you a far more satisfying experience. Even the most low end home theatre system is going to be better than PC speakers, unless you have the skills and time to do heavy modifications.

A setup like this is going to blow just about any PC sound system right out of the water.

If you want good audio on your system, look outside the PC realm... you won't regret it.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
@gibbersome:

i can the X-540s for around Rs7400($89)....my room is normal but we have the balcony moved in and its like a small room in the corner of my room...like i have my back speakers , well just behind me, barely half a feet...and i will be using them for Gaming(alot!!) movies(normal), music(a little).....

i was just wondering whether 1 5.1 will be any improvement over 4.1 though!???

@2Tired:

any Home theater setup under $100?? does it have the plug ins to connect with a 5.1 soundcard?!?

gibbersome

Coastermaker
@gibbersome:

i can the X-540s for around Rs7400($89)....my room is normal but we have the balcony moved in and its like a small room in the corner of my room...like i have my back speakers , well just behind me, barely half a feet...and i will be using them for Gaming(alot!!) movies(normal), music(a little).....

i was just wondering whether 1 5.1 will be any improvement over 4.1 though!???

@2Tired:

any Home theater setup under $100?? does it have the plug ins to connect with a 5.1 soundcard?!?

You'll be fine with the X-540 or similar setup. Gaming and movies would be good, but music is going to sound flat.

With the smaller space, the wiring shouldn't be a problem.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
thanx gibbersome....i'll go for the X-540s ....But First!
i'm also thinking about wot 2Tired said! HOme theatre setup!
@2Tired:

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey

It's pretty unlikely you will find new home theatre equipment under $100. Even the X-540s are going to cost you $150... But if you go into the used market and test before you pay, you might pull it off.

Home theatre gear almost always has multiple inputs so the extra money is worth it because you can also connect in your television set and your music system, giving you an overall better experience on all fronts. When I'm asked I generally recommend that half of a home theatre budget should be spent on audio... with a firm instance on wood or cast aluminum speaker boxes.

To hook up you will most likely need spdif or hdmi outputs on your soundcard. There are adaptors to go between the typical 3 jack PC setup and the spdif input of home theatre, but it's usually cheaper to update your soundcard.

If you're looking for under $100 sound, expect what you paid for... cheap speakers and mediocre (at best) sound quality. As Gibbersome pointed out it will be ok for the beeps bangs and booms of gaming but pretty much an offense to the ear for music.

If you're stiking to your budget you should prefer the Creative speakers over the Logitech ones...

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

hi im just wondering, i have a great stereo in my room but i want 5.1 sound for my xbox. is the x540 system acctually going to play the 5.1 signal from my xbox because i noticed the "game console adapter" is only a stereo jack anyway, and im not going to bother buying this if i have to use it in matrix mode, it just beats the purpose.