Logitech X-540 5.1 Speakers

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
As enthusiasts, we expect a performance premium from our hardware. A lot of the time, this premium comes at a cost. What if we didn’t have to take out a second mortgage the house to get the performance that we so desire? Today we are taking a look at the latest offering to the audiophile on a budget from Logitech.

You can read the full review here and discuss it here.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I have what I would call "last years" model of these speakers. I'm happy with them.

I definatly wish I would have waited a year to buy them now :(

The "remote" looks kinda gay. kinda gay though :-/

bildge_rat

Obliviot
Corded remote?! Is this thing from the 70's? Did it come with a copy of Saturday Night Fever or a pair vertically striped bell bottoms?

U

Unregistered

Lots of really good subwoofers don't have their "speakers" protected. See - SVS, HSU etc.

Apart from that, however, it's hard to really tell from the review whether they're any good. The only comment about comparative sound quality seems to be "it isn’t as loud as my home stereo" which isn't particularly helpful, since we have no idea what your home stereo is, and "loud" is hardly that important in this day and age.

Include more comparisons like that, perhaps?

Jakal

Tech Monkey
He left out sound quality comparisons, only because he's got nothing other than a home system to compare to.

DarkSynergy said:
I suppose I could also pick apart the overall sound of the X-540 but that really isn’t that fair. I personally have not heard anything in this price range, currently going for around $89.99 (US), that sounds as good as these do

I would like to see a full review including sound comparisons and tonal reproduction myself. It's just something that isn't going to happen as of right now.

A frequency chart with speaker bandwidth and power would be nice. It's something a lot of companies don't produce though. It's one thing to give overall power dissipation, and it's another to how the wattage vs frequency is reproduced through the speakers.

Last edited by a moderator:
U

Unregistered

Sat Speaker Cord Length

I want to have the speakers in the corners of my room and was wondering how long the cords are that come in the pack, and is it possible to extend them?

U

Unregistered

i cant tell you how long they are but you can extend them with a chinch-extention-cord.

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
It would have been cool to see a head-to-head comparison with the also-reviewed Altec Lansing FX4021 system, which is in the same price class. When I listened to these side-by-side at Best Buy, I think the FX4021 was the winner. Its sub went a bit deeper, and had less audible distortion from the subwoofer. I'm big on bass (my home system uses a 500W 12" subwoofer equipped with a pair of 15" passive radiators in addition to the active driver) so a system with a good sub makes a huge difference to me. The two products were fairly close, however, through the midrange and treble.

For the future, how about round-up or head-to-head style reviews for comparison within price brackets?

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
A round up would be a good idea. The two sets of speakers were no where close to each other location wise so unfortunately, the comparison could not have been made. A good idea though none the less.

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
Dooh, I just made myself look like a total idiot. The X-540 is a 5-channel system, while the Altec FX4021 is only a 2-channel system. Oh well, I suppose in this price range it's better to go 2.1 and get the better speakers than to try and pull off 5.1 sound.

W

Wolf68k

I just got these today and so far I think they are great. Picked them up at Directron for $77.99 ($84.42 with tax).

I don't to some people this might not matter but to others it might. The headphone jacks works like one would expect. You plug in the headphones and speakers are muted and the volume control on the remote controls the headphone volume.
I read a review once for the X-530 and that reviewer tried out the headphone port and found that it basically nothing more than extension from the front speaker port on the sound card. The speakers weren't muted, if I remember that correctly, and the volume control for the speakers did not effect the headphone jack.

M

Mike Zoric

I have a question. I just go the Logitech X-540. I think it sounds great, but I noticed when you plug in headphones in the headphone jack, the volume control does not change the headphone volume. It's just a low level sound coming though. It does dis-engage the speakers, but again the volume will not control the headphones.

Is this normal for the unit? It does not seem right.

Thanks.
Mike zoric
mczoric@comcast.net

D

Domn

how long are those satelite cables?
i mean are they long enaug to put them in every corner of the room.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I don't know how large of a room you are wanting to put these in, but anything larger than a closet and your not going to be able to place these in the corners. I am unsure of the exact length, but they aren't super long.

U

Unregistered

How to use sorround sound

I just bought my first surround sound speakers how to you utilize all four speakers without using matrix? If I use matrix I lose a lot of bass if I don't I I only get the center and front two speakers going. Any help would be much appreciated.

U

Unregistered

Charlie

Alright I don't know much about speakers n' all but do you still get the surround sound effect if you place all 4 speakers side by side? Because I also want to put it in the corners of my room but apparently the cords aren't long enough. Thanks.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Alright I don't know much about speakers n' all but do you still get the surround sound effect if you place all 4 speakers side by side? Because I also want to put it in the corners of my room but apparently the cords aren't long enough. Thanks.

The further they are away from your face, the better the result. If they are all on the desk in front of you, it's not going to be very 'surround'.