Logitech X-540 5.1 Speakers

U

Unregistered

How would I go about linking this up to both my PC and my PS3? The review says that you can but brushes over how it is done (either that or its meant to be easy). Im running both the PC and PS3 through a Dell 2407.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

U

Unregistered

Xbox 360

Just to make sure, these speakers will work with the Xbox 360 correct? I don't remember seeing anything about an optical cable, so will these work with the HD cables? Also about how long are the cords to the rear speakers?

U

Unregistered

Speaker cables

The rear speaker cable is 14', according to a customer review on cnet.com

http://reviews.cnet.com/pc-speakers...ID=7&messageID=2384775&cval=2384775&tag=uolst

What I'm not sure of is, if I hook up a 360 like in the review, will I get surround sound? It seems like, since you're only hooking up the red and white audio cables to one component cable (the green one that normally goes into a PC?), you could only get the left and right speakers to work? Am I wrong? I'm seriously considering getting these, but I need to know if/how they'll work in surround sound with my '360.

Oh, and if you're buying electronics, you HAVE to give cnet.com a look.

B

Brian

remote

I'm looking fwd to getting mine.

Actually I'm glad for a wired remote. It won't ever leave this room.
I'm sick of feeding my mouse batteries. About to nix the wireless mouse.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Wireless would have been handy, but in all honesty, a wired remote isn't that big of a deal. I have mine sitting on my monitor stand with it's cable neatly routed back with the other cables from the monitor.

U

Unregistered

Logitech x-540 speaker system

I read several reviews for this system, all praised it.
I do not! The bass is too booming low. The sound from the satellite speakers do not overlap the bass to make a smooth output of the system, which leaves out much sound from pieces of common music, much is lost to make many songs sound good. It was said to be a system good for laptops, but there are three conector plugs and I have only one on the back of my desktop and one on my laptop for a speaker system to plug into. And I was always readjusting the volume and bass knobs on the remote, which was a good satellite control unit, perhapsthe best thing about the whole system besides the black color.
I have two old satellite speakers which produce bass and they sound much better, they have better quallity sound than the x-540!
I'm boxing the x-540 and never use it again.
Besides, my 15-year-old speaker system, similar to the x-540 with only 2 small satallies, which I have always used with desktop computers, does much, much better than the x-540.
I'll keep and use my two old satellite speakers with my laptop and appreciate them more now than ever! I'll not buy Logitech again.

M

Mindstate

hi i was thinking of buying these speakers....and i was wondering if i would be able to connect these speakers to my tv as well??....thanks let me know please asap...

A

Ash

I was looking at buying these today but I want to use them with one of the new aluminum iMacs but the iMacs don't have three ports to plug all of the leads into. Does anyone know if it's possible to connect them and still get 5.1 Surround?
Thanks

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
I think the satellite speaker wires are about 15 feet long.

Also, the volume control on the speakers only controls what is fed to the internal 'preamp' stage of the speakers' electronics - it's simply configuring the headphone jack as a 'passthrough' when you plug in a set of headphones. This is useful because you can use the Windows volume control to set a comfortable volume for your headphones, and then you can set the speakers' volume to where you want it without affecting the headphone level. I don't think it's good to run a sound card flat-out at max volume anyway - you're giving up dynamic range.

P

pweathrb

Logitech X-540 Speaker System

I purchased the X-540 system at Sam's Club for $59.95 + tax.
I think this sound system ROCKS! I have it in an upstairs spare bedroom
(which is now my computer room - now that the kids are off to college.)
I had ZZ Top playing from my media library and I had the system set at one-half volume and my wife was complaining that
the thumping on her ceiling (my floor) was disturbing her ability to watch her "Lifetime Movie Network". I find that you lose some of the base when you use the "Matrix" mode, but if you want more base just turn it up. Before I bought this system I shopped at Best Buy and several other stores, listening to different home theater systems.
I don't think that it's worth the several hundred dollars more that you would have to shell out to get a sound that's really not any noticeably better than
this X-540 puts out, in my opinion. I am very glad that I bought this system.
I would indeed recommend it to everyone. For the money, I don't think you can find a better system anywhere. Have a good one.

U

Unregistered

Lots of really good subwoofers don't have their "speakers" protected. See - SVS, HSU etc.

Apart from that, however, it's hard to really tell from the review whether they're any good. The only comment about comparative sound quality seems to be "it isn’t as loud as my home stereo" which isn't particularly helpful, since we have no idea what your home stereo is, and "loud" is hardly that important in this day and age.

Include more comparisons like that, perhaps?

m8 u shud get sum, i just got some for my b-day and they r MINT, im pissing off my next door neighbour by ratteling the floor

U

Unregistered

I read several reviews for this system, all praised it.
I do not! The bass is too booming low. The sound from the satellite speakers do not overlap the bass to make a smooth output of the system, which leaves out much sound from pieces of common music, much is lost to make many songs sound good. It was said to be a system good for laptops, but there are three conector plugs and I have only one on the back of my desktop and one on my laptop for a speaker system to plug into. And I was always readjusting the volume and bass knobs on the remote, which was a good satellite control unit, perhapsthe best thing about the whole system besides the black color.
I have two old satellite speakers which produce bass and they sound much better, they have better quallity sound than the x-540!
I'm boxing the x-540 and never use it again.
Besides, my 15-year-old speaker system, similar to the x-540 with only 2 small satallies, which I have always used with desktop computers, does much, much better than the x-540.
I'll keep and use my two old satellite speakers with my laptop and appreciate them more now than ever! I'll not buy Logitech again
m8 u r silly, you can change the level of bass, my sattelites work fine, and only the green sound plug from the sub is supposed to go in to the comp you goob, i give the x-540 a 10/10, i put chronicals of riddick on and i am in the movie! and my next door neighbour is getting pissed off lol, the sound quality on them is far better than my friends speakers which cost his parents £200, he wants to swap but i said no, if you actually read the manual you will seee how to ajust the sound perception, i found a great mix that sounds perfect on all pc, xbox 360, ps2 and music, up ur iq n there is no point replying to me coz this is the only time im going to come on the site

Last edited by a moderator:
U

Unregistered

send me some pictures

hey i wana buy this setup but im not to sure how i would set it u pto my pc and xbox could some send me some pictures of its setup to pc and xbox 360 i would be some thankfull, pleass send it to ur-mummy-5@hotmail.com and no this hotmail account name is not a joke just a stupied name thnx.

U

Unregistered

Digital

Not knowing much - i'm about to get a Creative SB Extreme X-FI Audio Card PCI-Express - peeps around the place reckon you need a digital speaker set to get the most from the soundcard?

I don't see anything written about these speakers whether or not they are able to directly receive digital input?

Your thoughts?

U

Unregistered

Awesome

I first bought a set of Altec Lansing VS3251's but returned them when I heard a friends newly purchased X-540's. Big ****ing difference!