Logitech X-540 5.1 Speakers

U

Unregistered

Know what I did?

Today I stuck my penis in a wall power outlet. It was really cool. You guys should all try it.

U

Unregistered

Today I stuck my penis in a wall power outlet. It was really cool. You guys should all try it.

Stupid....

I just bought this system on ebay cost me 60$ taxes and shipping included.

Afte reading all the comments I think i did a good move.

Hopefully I have a good motherboard with the HD audio 2.1/5.1/7.1 dolby option and all the plug in the back.

And for the one ho are asking if they can have de 5.1 on there x-box or on there computer ho dont have the plugs. I dont think so. But there is an option to arrange that , its not like the real one do

I play CSS and love to listen music, i was checking for a system of this kind for a long time, but being a student don't have a lot of money. The price is just perfect for me.

F

Fazz

I just got a set of these today. I'm mightily impressed. They replace my old worn out passive JBL speakers which on my new soundcard were a bit flat.

They sound great, sure they're not the throbbing kilowatt multi-amp system I have in the car to generate spl with, but they're amazingly flat across the whole spectrum, except maybe they tend not to extend down past about 50-60htz easily with the sub enabled. The sattelites are clean and reproduce from about 150htz all the way up really nicely. The top end isn't too brittle or ear-piercing, which is a big bonus.

The sub can tend to get a bit woolly when given waaay too much juice. Basically as you turn the system up, bring the sub down a bit so it's driving a slightly reduced linear signal. It sounds great at all volumes with that in mind.

For $107 Australian it's a great little set for a small room. It doesn't have the spread of my home theatre or the ball-busting, kidney-failing, eardrum tearing volume of my car system but they stand up and are nice and flat and clean.

9/10 from me.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Glad you are happy with your purchase. Most everyone who has used them, that I have talked to, has enjoyed them thoroughly.

carface

Obliviot
Hi can anyone tell me if these speakers will work with the XBOX 360 elite as that now uses an HDMI lead to connect sound an vision?

U

Unregistered

I was considering either these or the Altec Lansing FX4021.
Im not fussed about being 2.1/5.1, but the main use will be for music in my uni accommodation. And im a big fan of bass :)
Anyone recommend which i should get...?

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I favor the Klipsch myself, the Bass will surely get your neighbors knocking on your door, asking that you turn it down.

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Hi can anyone tell me if these speakers will work with the XBOX 360 elite as that now uses an HDMI lead to connect sound an vision?
HDMI carries the sound along with the image to the monitor/TV

So....in answer to your querry.....No

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

Last edited:
S

Spectra

iPod

Would one of you be so kind to explain, how I hook up my iPod on the X-540? For beginners, please. A picture would help, too. *gg*

Thank you!

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Would one of you be so kind to explain, how I hook up my iPod on the X-540? For beginners, please. A picture would help, too. *gg*

Thank you!

Certainly! If you go to this page (page three of the original review), the first picture down shows you all you need to know in order to get your iPod connected to these speakers. If this isn't enough help, please post back and we can get you squared away.

S

Spectra

Certainly! If you go to this page (page three of the original review), the first picture down shows you all you need to know in order to get your iPod connected to these speakers. If this isn't enough help, please post back and we can get you squared away.

Thank you, DarkSynergy

I am pretty sure that you see something on page 3 about connecting an iPod. I don't see it. I was talking about help for a beginner. I don't even see an iPod on that page.

U

Unregistered

fixit

How would I go about linking this up to both my PC and my PS3? The review says that you can but brushes over how it is done (either that or its meant to be easy). Im running both the PC and PS3 through a Dell 2407.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

For multiple input source you will require a switch.
example: Converge A/V 4-to-1 Component YPbPr A/V Switch
just use the audio connections.

http://www.provantage.com/startech-cpnt410ir~7STRV01R.htm

$28.87

X

xab

im thinking of getting one of these but would it work if i plugged them in to a laptop?
because by the looks of the pictures, it only uses 1 of the 3 jacks and then it wont get full suround sound.
thanks.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
im thinking of getting one of these but would it work if i plugged them in to a laptop?
because by the looks of the pictures, it only uses 1 of the 3 jacks and then it wont get full suround sound.
thanks.

It won't get full-surround-sound probably, but it will still work fine overall. It includes a splitter-cable so you could hook it up to even an MP3 player if you wanted to.

U

Unregistered

MP3 Player (IPOD)???

"... being able to plug my iPod into the remote's headphone jack was nice as well. ..."

how do you do that, or better question, why?

can you "input" sound to the system through that jack "output"?

like this?
pic 1
and this?
pic 2

That means listening to music from MP3 Player, without removing wires from the PC?

PS: it sounds great, not as loud as i thought, but i don't listen at high volume music anyway. and rear satellite cables are about 5 meter long, that's 2-3 meter shorter than i require, but it will do with 3 meter rca-rca cords.

Thank You,
Alin

J

jimvideo

The X-540 is an exceptional PC speaker system.

Dooh, I just made myself look like a total idiot. The X-540 is a 5-channel system, while the Altec FX4021 is only a 2-channel system. Oh well, I suppose in this price range it's better to go 2.1 and get the better speakers than to try and pull off 5.1 sound.

No, the product lacks support for surround sound on several devices listed on the box making your comparison correct in those cases. The box list PC, CD, MP3, DVD, Playstation 3, and Xbox.

Most gaming desktop PCs have three audio outputs, required to get surround sound out of the X-540, making this a PC speaker system. For a desktop PC and a small space this is an exceptionally priced system that looks great.

When does the X-540 compare to the Altec FX4021? For a game console, an MP3 player, or a CD/DVD player, the X-540 can not give you surround sound; Instead, it gives you "Matrix" sound. When not used with a PC it compares functionally to the Altec FX4021.

There was an unanswered question about the cable length. The cables for this PC speaker system are: Front: 5 foot 4 inches, Center: 7 foot 4 inches, Rear 14 foot, PC cable: 6 foot 3 inches. For a PC surround sound system, this might be enough. Audio enthusiast say that including more cable introduces sound lag.

U

Unregistered

Laptop

Is there a cable or something that I can buy that will allow me to use all of the speakers with a laptop? because there are currently three separate cords with only the headphone jack to plug into, so you can only get sound out of the right two, the left two, or the center one at one time. Is there an adapter or just a completely different thing that will connect the three jacks in the back of the sub with the headphone jack?

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Yes, you can run surround sound out of your notebook with the aid of a sound card that allows multiple channel audio. Creative makes a product that connects to one of their PCMCIA Audigy sound cards that allows you to connect surround sound speakers.

What your asking though, assuming I know exactly what your asking, is if you can connect the plugs that go directly into the sub, into your notebook? If that's the case, I know of no product that would allow that.

Let me know if I am off base and I will research a solution for you a bit deeper. Thanks for stopping by.

U

Unregistered

Hi first time iv looked here and great site.

I have a mac mini and i see that i can connect via the green cable and use matrix mode to obtain a surround like sound. Thats good enough for me

Is there any way of hooking these up to the xbox and mac at the same time. By using one of http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Speaker-and-headphone-Splitter/dp/B0007OC96W/ref=pd_sim_ce_6 connected to the green cable. and then using two 3.5mm cables comng out of these two outputs. I could then plug one 3.5mm cable to the mac and one into the RCA adaptor for xbox. Sorry if this sounds confusing but would it work??

Thanks!!