Crucial Ballistix PC3200 (DDR400) 1GB Kit

U

Unregistered

Rob Williams said:
The new Venice chips overclock very well apparently.

Venice is the overclockers word for God. They are killer cores.

(cf)Eclipse

Micron Lover
DarkSynergy said:
just cause i have had a few brushes with evil people over at dfi street, i will provide my competition :D
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1027479689&postcount=2
(basically the same thing though :p)

Ive read many places ballistix pc 3200 can only do ddr514 2.5-3-3-7/6. I guess well see.
really? that's interesting..
here's how my ballistix does:
chart.png

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
2.5-2-2 at DDR500 speeds? That's some nice timings there. Is that chart from one stick, or two?

abracadabra

Obliviot
Just incase your interested i was still getting errors now at 2.5-3-3-8 so ive set trc and trcf to there max and its passes memtest 5 times. Do you think setting them to max has much of a performance degradation?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, I do highly recommend you start benchmarking in between. That will tell you definitely if there was an adverse affect or not. Good idea though, and I personally am not sure if that actually would degrade that much or not, but I'm doubtful.

I'd still load up EVEREST and see what your Memory Read/Write and Latency are. I'm curious as to what kind of scores you are receiving.

abracadabra

Obliviot
urg! i just cant get this ram stable. Any ballistix guys out there be so kind as to help me get ddr520 out these sticks. Or am i best on a divider running 2-2-2-5? Also memtest recognises my ram as 1023, that right?

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Eclipse just so happens to be offline :/

When I overclock, I always try to stick to 1:1 ratio, to make things easy. I would only change it if my memory was holding back a CPU overclock, which may be possible with your Winnie.

What's been your highest stable configuration so far?

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
abracadabra said:
urg! i just cant get this ram stable. Any ballistix guys out there be so kind as to help me get ddr520 out these sticks. Or am i best on a divider running 2-2-2-5? Also memtest recognises my ram as 1023, that right?

First off, dont worry about what memtest is saying, thats nothing to worry about.

I have the same motherboard as you and was able to get 520 out of it. My setup was 3.0V, 260 x 10 (1:1) and my timings were 2.5-3-3-8. Those timings are somewhat loose but with those volts, 260 was possible. The Ballistix, for the most part, is capable RAM so dont give up just yet. If you do pump those volts through the RAM, make sure you have a fan on the sticks cause they will get warm. You will get better bandwidth with a figher FSB @ 1:1 than lower clock with tigher timings. Now if you go 270 at 3-4-4-10 then it might not be better with those loose timings. Best of luck and post back withyour results.

abracadabra

Obliviot
Ill have to get back to you on that one rob. You see what i did was find my max cpu speed 260*10 and then ive just been trying to get 260 out my ram from then. Ill try find out what my ram is capable of. Should i set 2.5-3-3-8 and up the fsb from 220? A question here. Lets say joe bloggs can run ddr 500 2.5-3-3-8 @ 3v0, would the ram still be stable at ddr400 2.5-3-3-8 3v0?

Thanks dark. Well anything over 2v7 and it errors right away! Seems my ram doesnt like voltage at all. In order for my to be stable at just ddr400 m.y ram musnt be over 2v5. I only have two 120mm fans (in/out) and a zalman cpu cooler i think its the biggest one 7700 rings a bell. would a fan help it run more stable at higher voltages or is it just to keep it cool and make the ram last longer? I do have a large case ( Some Akasa) and i thinks my system stays relitivy cool. That was the plan anyway, doesnt really get too hot over here in the UK, Although you all have aircon dont you. Was kinda hoping i wouldnt have to put another fan in (a) i hate the noise b) would ruin the looks (see through panal)).

Im very new to this overclocking but i just have a hunch that maybe one of the other gallizzion ram timings needs to be changed. Any Ideas anyone?

Last edited:

(cf)Eclipse

Micron Lover
abracadabra said:
Lets say joe bloggs can run ddr 500 2.5-3-3-8 @ 3v0, would the ram still be stable at ddr400 2.5-3-3-8 3v0?
yup. and common notation for voltage would be 3.0v, or 2.6v ;)

my chart is for one stick. i edited it so that it's back up.. my website is going through some major overhauls, so yeah.
if you're really new, there's one thing you should keep in mind at all times:
GO SLOWLY! don't make any big jump. test at a given mhz, bump up a small amount (less than 5mhz), and test again. if you bump up voltage, do so in .1v increments, and see how it changes. same with the timings :p

abracadabra

Obliviot
OK. Im glad you picked up on this. I made it up myself during my A level years to help me out. I have an electronics background and convinced my teacher aswell to take the 3V6 type notation. I believe I did it this way as to a) aviod people mistaking where a "." is positioned, if positioned atall! (especaily useful if writing in pencil), b) A prefix is never forgoten to be added (very important) c) I personally find it easier to read if hand writen. d) "V" can stand for 0.0V if a value must be added and has 3 less charactars in it. I was sure i had a better reason for doing this but i cant remember it. If you can think of any other reason to use this type of notation please point it out as it will all help my cause. My cause? Im trying to get the entire world to use this notation.

Ah cool. Useful chart.

Last edited:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Are you OCing for benching or for everyday use? If it is just to see how high you can get it then by all means, throw a fan on the RAM. It might look shitty but it will help a lot. When you are worried about looks, sometimes performance is something you have to sacrifice sometimes. Again, best of luck, you'll pick up on it...trust me.

(cf)Eclipse

Micron Lover
abracadabra said:
My cause? Im trying to get the entire world to use this notation.
world domination!

and if stability is an absolute must, when you find the limit, back off a bit from that, mhz wise.. just to allow for some fluctuations in room temp and stuff that could effect stability if you left it on the edge :D

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oh yeah, you are not cooling your memory? I forget if you said you were or not. Ballistix, well.. any performance memory get's far too hot while overclocking. A cooler is almost a must.

abracadabra

Obliviot
Urg not stable. Back to one of your ealier questions rob i am stable 2.5-3-3-10 2V7
Would someone please answer these questions for me, i think they would help me alot

1) Would cooler memory run able me to run more stable? I thought it was just to make the chips last longer.

2) Would 2.5-2-2-5 3V1 run hotter than 3-4-4-10 3V1 ?

3) Would ddr500 2.5-3-3-10 2V9 run cooler than ddr600 2.5-3-3-10 2V9 ?

Thats right, there is no direct cooling on my memory. Perhaps i should just set 2V9 and see how high i can go!

U

Unregistered

i just found out something interesting. most 512mb ballistix uses micron 5b G chips.. but i have a friend who just got a stick that's single sided with 5b D (the stuff that goes in 1gb ballistix and value).

if you could look at the little ESD bag that your ballistix came in, does it look like this:

16TG.jpg

on the end of the part number, you see .16TG. this signifies 16 tsop chips, G die revision (5b G)
the stick in question with 5b D says .8TD, which means 8 tsop chips, D revision.
if you could tell us what yours are, it may explain a bit (G oc's better and likes voltage more than D)