Crucial Ballistix PC3200 (DDR400) 1GB Kit

abracadabra

Obliviot
Well after much experimenting i can say my cpu is stable at 265*10 @1.5 v (have zalman heatsink should be fine) my ram though is having great trouble doing any timings at this speed with voltages up to 3v2 though (still only that 1 error at 191.1mb ,perhaps there is another timing that could fix this? I have droped most of them (didnt fix) then droped all of them and couldnt boot up(had to restet cmos). RAM seems fine at 2.5-3-3-8-8-10 at ddr500. Ive looked into memory dividers and have decided not to use them. What do you think about this? perhaps i should run at 2.65ghz and use a memory divider to run 2-2-2-5 on the ram. After a half dozen articles ive read it seems its best to run 1:1 rather than divider with nothing less than 2-5-3-3-8. What are your views on this rob? My target for now is trying to get the ram to work at ddr530 with 2.5-3-3-8-8-10 or similar.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yeah, I'd recommend trying to keep a 1:1 since you have a good CPU speed. If you are running 2.65GHz right now, wouldn't that make your memory DDR530?

Get EVEREST if you haven't already, and then do a Memory Read test and throw me the results :D

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm wondering if it's your CPU holding you back.

I had no problem hitting 270 * 10 @ 1.5v, with 2.5-3-3-8 timings. You could try to bump your DDR Voltage to 3.2, but only if you have adequate cooling, as you seen I have in that review.

You *may* want to try playing around with those new dividers as well.. the ones with the 702 BIOS. I know I had a blast goofing around, but I never actually found any performance benefits.

abracadabra

Obliviot
oh yeah i flashed to 720-2 this morning. Had a butchus at dividers was good fun seeing 2.65ghz with 2-2-2-5! when i do run memtest, th error i recieve is always at 191.1mb on the ram. Would it make any difference if i used a different memtest (using 1.60 buitl into bios at mo). Shame all this really, why did i buy 2-2-2-5 ram if its not helping me?

http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Memory/Crucial-Ballistix-PC3200-2x512MB-Memory-Review/

this is were i saw 2.5-2-2-5 @ ddr510.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
MemTest 1.6 is the latest version, so no need to change that. 2-2-2-5 timings are good to keep, but when I used 2.5-3-3-8 @ 270, I found that to be the ultimate best in the way of Latency and Read/Writes.

You may want to try 2.5-2-2 even. The 191.1 thing.. I don't know if there is a logical reason, really. I've had errors hit at the same spot before, but I never figured out exactly why.

abracadabra

Obliviot
just thanks again for ur help! Well now im starting to get anoyed. After extensive testing at 2.5-3-3-8ddr500 i just cant get it stable even up to 3v2. Maybe im missing a vital setting! but not an obvious one. both ur review and that one i posted im thinking i have not so good ram. :mad:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm doubtful it's your memory, but it *could* be your CPU, I'm completely unsure. Next time I see Eclipse, I'll ding him to take a look here and get his opinions. He knows more about Crucial than anyone else.. in the world :D

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Could be a possibility of too much leniance. That's wierd though.

Did you happen to try my settings of 270 2.5-3-3-8 3.2v ?

abracadabra

Obliviot
Thats a no go too. At he moment i am doing a thorough stabily test on cpu at 260*10, i've done occt 30 min test and super pi 32M and its passed both and now im currentl doing 24 hour prime 95. Im doing this to check the error is not caused by my cpu as per your advise. Any other tests i can do to ensure stability?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
12 hours may be perfect for Prime95. I recommend you use 3D Mark 05 to benchmark. If there's any faults at all, that will usually crash.

U

Unregistered

when testing ram clocks, you want to remove everything else from the equation.

leave ram divider at 200mhz/ddr400 (1:1)
drop cpu multi to 6 or 7x
drop HT link (LDT) multi to 3x/600mhz

and focus on the ram itself.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
This should help you out

This is kind of building on what Eclipse said. Just take it slow and try to figure one thing out at a time, then move onto another issue. The Ballistix is a tricky RAM to get but it's possible to get a lot out of them. Just keep trying and keep posting here so we can help you though it.

I usually run mem-test for about an hour or so. I have heard that 12 to 24 hours is the target time but I am impatient and I hardly ever keep my system OC'd longer than it takes to bench. When I game, I always run stock clocks but when I bench, thats when I pump up the clocks and see what is in the machine.

...................I need another gig of Ballistix!

abracadabra

Obliviot
OKay thanks guys.Ive been having good fun! I would say things are looking up a lil bit. My cpu 100% stable @ 260*10, 3d03 pass, 3d05 pass, prime95 (16 hours) pass, OCCT 30min pass, Siper PI32M pass. Anything else i can do for my own piece of mind? I am working on RAM right now and seems to be holding stable 2.5-3-2-6-8-10 @2.6V ddr 480. So is my target now to run tightish timings @ ddr 520 ? Is that going to be possible? Ive read many places ballistix pc 3200 can only do ddr514 2.5-3-3-7/6. I guess well see.

Edit:My sig is not stable

Edit: Maybe wrong forgot rob got 2.5-3-2-6ddr540@2.9v.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I could have been lucky that time too, I haven't tried to accomplish that again. I am running 2.5-3-3-8 though at DDR540, so I know this memory is capable of a lot.

If I were you, I'd try to just up the voltage, maybe to 3.0 or 3.2 and then turn your divider to 1:1, to *try* for DDR520. I might tri 2.5-3-3-8 as well.. and if it's not stable, I would blame your CPU. The new Venice chips overclock very well apparently.

abracadabra

Obliviot
things loking good ive just passed two passes of memtest, ddr520 2.5-3-3-6 @ 2v6+0v03. Ill let it run for 8-10 hours?? then try for 2.5-3-2-6. Pray my memory stays stable at 2.5-3-3-6 for me. Thanks for all your help, i think what was holding me back (providing it does stay stable) was the fact i kept my Trc and Trcf at 8 and 10. Set it back to auto if not running 2-2-2-5 and seems to be holding up.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Sweet man, that's great. I'd keep MemTest going for a few hours.. no need to go any longer if you are just going to try to OC it more.

Yeah, sometimes the TRC and TRCF can screw you over, I forgot to mention that. There are other misc timings in there that held back my OC before as well, so I just turned everything to Auto except the basics.