Building a new computer would like some advice

madmat

Soup Nazi
You said you got an exclamation point when you passed 1100 some-odd Mhz on the slider... it sounded like you had. I really wish that they would list the true speed of the ram on video cards as well as the effective clockspeed rather than the effective clocks. You'd be surprised how many people have killed their cards by trying to crank the actual speed to coincide with the advertised effectice clocks, it's really disturbing.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I haven't messed with it....didn't want to without know why it was like that....
You really need to do research before making any changes. You have a very nice system.
I'd hate to see that you burned it out

Merlin

Altrus

Coastermaker
I'd hate to see that too....
I have been researching :D

I'd also like to know something....your OS is only in your HDD right?
Does this mean to change operation systems I could just change out the HDD?
and if so could I have two different HDDs in one with vista 64 and one with say vista32/XP and just disable one or the other to change OSs?

....am I just being delusional?

edit------------
I'm peved now......9800 gtx price dropped to 199$ now...oh well

Last edited:

Altrus

Coastermaker
Haha...finally found the loose screw that was making the horrendously annoying clicking noise.....my sanity is safe....well safer.....

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Talk to the people ya ordered it from, for example Newegg has sometimes given people small price breaks off the original order price when it happens (but not very much). It's cheaper for them to give a little back than to deal with an RMA or two, which is what most people seem to do these days.

Best bit of advice though, if you plan to build it, don't buy until you know exactly when it's replacement is coming out. News about the GT200 launch dates has been out for over a month, pretty big clue the prices were going to get cut! Although I don't think anyone expected it to go quite as far... gotta thank ATI for that. :)

Altrus

Coastermaker
...I bought the 8800 gts but would have bought the 9800 gtx if it had been 200$ at the time....

((Just to clear that up... in case))

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
...I bought the 8800 gts but would have bought the 9800 gtx if it had been 200$ at the time....

((Just to clear that up... in case))

While the price change is unfortunate, you still do have one hell of a card. The 8800 GTS 512, with a small overclock, will match and surpass the 9800 GTX's performance, so you have nothing to worry about. You lost a little bit of money, but you didn't get a much weaker card out of the deal. The main difference will be their top-end overclocks.

Altrus

Coastermaker
While the price change is unfortunate, you still do have one hell of a card. The 8800 GTS 512, with a small overclock, will match and surpass the 9800 GTX's performance, so you have nothing to worry about. You lost a little bit of money, but you didn't get a much weaker card out of the deal. The main difference will be their top-end overclocks.

oh I have no qualm with the 8800gt it can run dmc4 and Mass Effect at 50-60 fps...I just really wanted to one day go 3 way sli and now I'm torn between getting a completely new card to one day do that or getting another 8800gt((Although its completely my fault since I didn't realize that the 8800gt couldn't go 3 way sli before I bought it))

The part I'm mad about is I believe that if it had cost 200 dollars at the time I would have bought it instead...

Most likely now I'm just going to go with a second 8800gt because of money issues...

or I may get neither and one day buy a 9800gx2 and then one day have a Hextuple gpu system...hahahahah

Most likely just another 8800gt tho.....

Last edited:

Altrus

Coastermaker
First,
I'd like to thank everyone for their help in building my computer, its running great haven't had any problems at all....

Second,
I used an 80gbHDD to make a dual boot system between 32/64-bit vista so I'm able to use a ps3 controller for certain games and thats turned out fine.

Third,
I've had to put finishing off my computer on hold...I need to buy a laptop for school and because I won't be allowed to take my current computer with me....:(......I'm going to get a fairly decent laptop instead of a cheap only for typing type, and since I don't know how you'd go about building your own I'm looking at this one
http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668096.php
Gateway P-173X FX
I've read quite a few reviews and so far the only problems I've come across is it over heating during games which should be managable :D

Anyone have any suggestions about this......?

Also- Is it possible to build your own laptop at this point in time?...so far I haven't found a place to?

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
First,
I'd like to thank everyone for their help in building my computer, its running great haven't had any problems at all....

Second,
I used an 80gbHDD to make a dual boot system between 32/64-bit vista so I'm able to use a ps3 controller for certain games and thats turned out fine.

Third,
I've had to put finishing off my computer on hold...I need to buy a laptop for school and because I won't be allowed to take my current computer with me....:(......I'm going to get a fairly decent laptop instead of a cheap only for typing type, and since I don't know how you'd go about building your own I'm looking at this one
http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668096.php
Gateway P-173X FX
I've read quite a few reviews and so far the only problems I've come across is it over heating during games which should be managable :D

Anyone have any suggestions about this......?

Also- Is it possible to build your own laptop at this point in time?...so far I haven't found a place to?
Most of the time, reviews on the same site that sells the item is by the people that are selling the item, look elsewhere for reviews

Merlin

Last edited:

Altrus

Coastermaker
Most of the time, reviews on the same site that sells the item is by the people that are selling the item, look elsewhere for reviews

Merlin

I have looked at a few sites and most of the other problems are just complaints about problems running Crysis....:rolleyes:

I read that review earlier and don't really have a problem with the size and weight....I just needed something that is all in one piece and can be lifted from one desk to another....

Last edited:

Krazy K

Partition Master
I have a thinkpad tablet with microsoft one note and love it. I use it exclusively for school and the tablet feature is incredible, it saves all my hand writing and I can print out all my notes later. Lenovo engineers these things with WWIII in mind, I pour water through my keyboard to show it off, I get 7 hours on the 8 cell bettery and it comes with things that I'll never use. Lenovo FTW everytime!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That Gateway laptop should suit you fine. I have wanted to get one in to test for months, and will in the near-future I hope. Personally, I'd consider it... it's a great price and offers a lot. The guys who were running Crysis were likely trying to run native resolution of the display. If you don't mind turning the graphics down a bit, you should be fine.

It includes a nice GPU, CPU, RAM and most everything else. Due to their site being broken at the moment, I can't see a price, but it looks good all-around specs-wise.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I thought you said you needed one for school, but then you want to play high games on it.....

Merlin

Altrus

Coastermaker
I thought you said you needed one for school, but then you want to play high games on it.....

Merlin

Let me clear that up. I'll be staying in the dorms at college but only from sunday night through thursday night, I'll be going home friday about 11am and going back to school on sunday evening, the college is about 30-45min away from my house depending on what kind of driver you are 15min in some cases, so to save on gas and money, environment will get a bit of a break also, I'll be in the dorms.
My parents won't allow me to bring my computer with me so they said they'd help me buy a laptop for school, but since I'm not a dedicated enough student to spend 112 hours studying I wanted to get a gaming laptop that was capable of playing games at a decent frame rate....
so instead of buying a laptop that was good for nothing other then typing I'm going to get one that I can enjoy also...I'm paying a bit of the difference between the original cheap notebook and the one I'm getting now and the rest is "the" birthday present for today.....

I hope thats better...

More for the better tho... all together my computer must be nearing sixty pounds and would not escape damage from transport, I don't trust leaving it at the school through the weekend, and I wouldn't have it for home...

Last edited: