Building a new computer would like some advice

Krazy K

Partition Master
Yes, it is risky. If you want the speed then you have to pay for it with reliability. JBOD is the way to go if you just want one large drive, you don't get the performance boost but you don't lose reliability. I've never used it but apparently you can lose a drive and still have the overall integrity intact and be able to recover the files. If you can still use the 'array' when a drive has failed, I don't know.

Altrus

Coastermaker
Well, the first 3 parts came in a day early on Thursday((Happy :D(Case,MOBO,RAM))

Now I just need to choose a PSU and order the rest...

Last edited:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Well, the first 3 parts came in a day early on Thursday((Happy :D(Case,MOBO,RAM))

Now I just need to choose a PSU and order the rest...
What is your final decision on all the componants?
That has a lot to do with what PSU you need

Merlin

Altrus

Coastermaker
Lets see....
Antec Twelve Hundred Case
nforce 780i
OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz
Evga Geforce 8800gt 512Mb
Zalman 9700 LED 110mm CPU cooler((with artic silver 5 Ther. Comp.))
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB
with vista ultimate 64bit

...the 8800gt does have a combo with this PSU...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817814014

and most likely sometime in the near future I'll get a second 8800gt

Last edited:

madmat

Soup Nazi
That PSU isn't worth the cost. You don't need more than 500W for that system even with SLI 8800GT's so why pay $200 (or whatever the combo deal is, maybe $30 off?) for a mediocre 800W PSU when you can get a really good 500W+ for under $100? If modular is important to you look into the HX520W by Corsair. You can find it (not at newegg but elsewhere) for about $90. It's a very strong 520 watt PSU that is also modular and doesn't look like it escaped from a circus.

Altrus

Coastermaker
After reading up on modular power supplies I'd rather not go with one....
any other PSUs you'd recommend?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member

There's nothing wrong with modular power supplies. Die-hard enthusiasts will state otherwise, but it's a moot issue as far as I'm concerned. I far more appreciate being able to use only the connectors I need and keep a clean case than have a PSU with far, far more connectors than I need.

I have used modular PSUs in all my PCs for the past three years and have never had an issue.

Matt already recommended a $100 PSU to you, that's non-modular:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

madmat

Soup Nazi

Where did you read about modular PSU's? PC Power & Cooling's website with the FUD they disseminate like perverts handing out candy to children? It's all BS, at worst you'll lose less than a tenth of a watt at normal PC loads to a modular interface and maybe half a watt under full load. It's enough to be a non issue.

PC P&C and all their FUD spouting fanboys try to make modular PSU's sound like the ultimate evil but Mr. Dodson has been quoted as having a PC P&C modular PSU in the works so that shows you just how much he believes his own hyperbole.

Altrus

Coastermaker
Yes it was about that and some said that they had cooling issues.....
but if thats untrue I'll most likely go with the 520wt corsair that madmat suggested....

madmat

Soup Nazi
The cooling on a single 120mm+ fan PSU versus either a single 80mm or dual 80mm fan cooled PSU is going to slightly worse as the air has to turn 90 degrees in the PSU rather than flow in a laminar fashion (straight line) so there are dead areas but those are more apparent at high temps such as would be encountered in a server room not an enthusiast's home PC. The 80mm fanned PSU will be far noisier than the bigger fanned PSU due to the higher RPM's needed for an 80mm fan to compete on a CFM level.

In the long run for a home user the PSU with the larger fan will be as well cooled in a home user environment as the 80mm PSU will be and not be as distracting in a quiet PC. The HX520W is rated very high as far as power and quiet.

Krazy K

Partition Master
OK GL!! Keep in touch if you start having troubles.

Remember, if it doesn't go in easily, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

Altrus

Coastermaker
OK GL!! Keep in touch if you start having troubles.

Remember, if it doesn't go in easily, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

yes...the retaining clip for the zalman 9700 took everything I had to screw in...((thats as far as I've gotten))
nforce 780i
corsair hx520w modular power supply

final price $1406
still have a few rebates tho so it should be about 1300 after that...

Altrus

Coastermaker
A question...
the 780i comes with a small fan for the Nbridge should I put this in since its so close to the zalman?

Altrus

Coastermaker
humm...am i suppose to use the little red washers when screwing in my mobo?
does anyone know?

Krazy K

Partition Master
A question...
the 780i comes with a small fan for the Nbridge should I put this in since its so close to the zalman?

I would put it in anyway especially if it's being given to you. After the build you should be able to monitor your MB temp which is usually taken from the NB die (contact manufacturer to verify). If the noise is unbearable or it is physically in the way, you might be able to disconnect it, but do so while you can monitor the temp. You can also buy small adhesive heat-sinks that are passive which should do enough if the Zalman is moving some amount of air over the die.

Krazy K

Partition Master
yes...the retaining clip for the zalman 9700 took everything I had to screw in...((thats as far as I've gotten))
nforce 780i
corsair hx520w modular power supply

final price $1406
still have a few rebates tho so it should be about 1300 after that...

Did you have to replace the back plate for that cooler? Sometime the holes don't line up perfectly on cheap-o coolers but that doesn't seem like something you would expect from Zalman. If you didn't cross-thread the bolts, or crack the CPU die I would say move on. They need to hold the cooler and the CPU tight so don't expect it to fit loosely over the CPU.

How much grease did you use?