Alright, second time around PC build

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
It's hard to track down for a lot of people though. My Chillaramic compound works very well also but again, it is really hard to find.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
I was going to suggest the MX series. MX2 is the least viscous of the lot, meaning smooth and easy spread, performs pretty close to AS5 (sometimes better). MX4 is more viscous (half way between 2 and 3) and better transfer. MX3 is the most viscous and like trying to spread clay, but the best transfer - also the most expensive. For the most part, go with the MX2, it's cheap, works great and comes in a large tube.

Some new-ish stuff that i've seen popping up is IC Diamond... which i know nothing about, but supposed to be better... but who knows...

The best heat transfer does not mean the best TIM... plain old water is a brilliant TIM, but it boils off quickly, corrodes and is conductive. Even toothpaste can be used in a bind. It's long term stability and how quickly the stuff dries out which should be the most important. AS5 dries out after about 6-8 months. It'll still work after that, but it's not much better than your common 25g tube of gunk...

Last edited:

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
alright, bought the hyper 212+, some thermal paste, and 2 CM 120mm case fans. I'll get more fans later on. should be here tomorrow or tuesday

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
umm...ok this cooler is a freaking beast. I have less than 1/8 inch of room left between the cooler and the sidepanel. Good news is, I used to idle at 42C, now I'm idling at 24C - 26C. :D

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Oh yea? My i7 2600k idles at 19c on stock cooler lol I can't wait to put the Megahalems on it to OC it to 4.8 Ghz.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Well, my first upgrade step will be to get a WD Caviar Black 1Tb and install a fresh copy of Win 7 Pro. It will be my Primary drive for Windows and all the software/games!

A question: 4GB-1600Mhz Dominators for Rs.9500($110) OR 8GB-1600Mhz Vengeance for Rs.11500($133)??

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
For $23 I guess ya might as well double the GB. There's not any real reason to do so, but it's nice to have enough RAM you never have to worry about running out or upgrading down the road. Especially if ya plan to use virtual machines or anything else of that ilk. :)

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
For $23 I guess ya might as well double the GB. There's not any real reason to do so, but it's nice to have enough RAM you never have to worry about running out or upgrading down the road. Especially if ya plan to use virtual machines or anything else of that ilk. :)
Cool! :D

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Well i now have $860 for a CPU, Mobo and Ram. Ram has been decided, thank u Kougar! Mobo will be the Asus P8P67-Pro. Now the cpu i can go for the i7-2600k but i dont know whether it will be overkill for me as i mostly only game and occasionally use Photoshop and Dreamweaver!

with the 2500k my total is: $580 and saving $280!(new GPU :D)
with the 2600k my total is: $710 and saving $150

me thinking 2500k?!? :confused:

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Yeah, there's not a significant difference from the loss of L2 cache, so if you plan to overclock I'd suggest the 2500K and pocket the savings... or use the savings on a new SF-2200 SSD when those launch. :D

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Yeah, there's not a significant difference from the loss of L2 cache, so if you plan to overclock I'd suggest the 2500K and pocket the savings... or use the savings on a new SF-2200 SSD when those launch. :D
Thanx man! Tomorrow i gets all the stuff!! Wohoo! :D

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Well, just got me system upgraded to:
Core i7-2600k
Asus P67 Sabertooth and
8GB-1600 Corsair Vengeance.... :D

When i went t the vendor i was gonna go for a 2500k and Asus P8P67-Pro, but they were out of stock so i whipped out my debit card and said bye bye to most of my savings! :(
But the end result was Wohoo! :D

ps: yes yes i know, no pics! Will post soo though! :)

Psi*

Tech Monkey
Pics? Promises promises LOL

You know, you work, you work hard, you are young(?) ... get yourself a reward that will last for at least a few years. You'll feel better & can make it all back with bonus.

Hopefully you are not wondering why you are still single tho. Just sayin' :D So any woman in your life will obviously need to appreciate or in the very least have a tolerance for the tech interest. If you are really lucky, you will find someone that is awed! ;)

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Pics? Promises promises LOL

You know, you work, you work hard, you are young(?) ... get yourself a reward that will last for at least a few years. You'll feel better & can make it all back with bonus.

Hopefully you are not wondering why you are still single tho. Just sayin' :D So any woman in your life will obviously need to appreciate or in the very least have a tolerance for the tech interest. If you are really lucky, you will find someone that is awed! ;)

lol! When i had a choice to either go back home or buy the i7 and Saber instead, i thought the same thing, i do deserve a reward! Hehe! :D

As for a woman, well, i hope i'm lucky too! :p

ps: I LOVE my signature!! Hahaa! Core i7 duudes!! :D

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Well, i'm looking for a CPU cooler! I have the H50, V6 GT, Tt Frio and Tt Jing available! Will do some 4.2 to 4.5 Ghz overclock!

any recommendations?!?