Alright, second time around PC build

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
The 800D is just too big both in size and in price but looks like a tech geeks wet dream to work in. The 600T is mighty sweet but still a bit pricey and not at all what Doomsday is looking for.

I'll be going with an Antec DF-85 and a temporary lga775 ASUS P5QPL-AM! Thoughts??!?

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
That board in that case is going to be like a 5 foot person in a king size bed - floatin'! It seems like an OK board to me for a temporary setup. I haven't had any problems with anything that I have owned from Asus.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
That board in that case is going to be like a 5 foot person in a king size bed - floatin'! It seems like an OK board to me for a temporary setup. I haven't had any problems with anything that I have owned from Asus.

lol! Yup! Well, I was not happy with my DF-85 so i exchanged it for the awesome HAF-X!! :D

Will be putting the things from the Centurion 590 into the HAF-X tomorrow, too tired today!

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Well the system is setup and ready! Had to install fresh windows due to the blue screen coming up everytime trying to load the old windows! ALso had to use the stock cpu cooler for the processor cause of the flimsy and weak motherboard!

LOVING the HAF-X though!

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
overdue, but here are some pics of it. Did the best with cable management that I could. I'm buying a CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ cooler, some thermal paste, and 2 120mm fans in 2 weeks, as I don't have a rear or side fan right now.

Attachments

• PC1.jpg
    PC1.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 431
  • PC2.jpg
    PC2.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 424
  • PC3.jpg
    PC3.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 399
  • PC4.jpg
    PC4.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 427

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I always wondered why optical drive manufacturers don't paint the casing black to match the bezel.

Good looking setup and I dig that case. Very clean looking with just a hint of check me out.

Have you tried using zip ties to hid wires behind the motherboard tray or on the far side of the drive cage?

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
Have you tried using zip ties to hid wires behind the motherboard tray or on the far side of the drive cage?

I tucked them behind the drive cage the best I could (as the slack would allow) and as for the mobo tray, there is literally less than 1/8 inch room behind it so nothing really fits back there. Oh yeah, I also have the cpu fan ziptied to the top fan slot on the case...because for some reason when the fan spins up high it grinds against the wire and sounds like a lawnmower. haha.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
This is why I think it's best to get air filters and live with the reduced airflow. Dust will do way more damage to a system than reduced airflow - especially with cats in the equation. The biggest killer of systems.... Smoke... but that's been discussed in other threads, lol.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
This is why I think it's best to get air filters and live with the reduced airflow. Dust will do way more damage to a system than reduced airflow - especially with cats in the equation. The biggest killer of systems.... Smoke... but that's been discussed in other threads, lol.

My case has mesh filters over every open space (except the sidepanel and rear fan slots). Even has mesh on the backside of the disc drive covers. Once I get the 3 other fans I want, I'm gonna use the sidepanel and rear for exhaust, and the front and top for intake. That will leave all fan slots WITHOUT mesh filters as exhaust. That should work fine right?

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I would generally go from front to back with regards to airflow. Also allow heat to do what it does best - rise. Front and side panel for intake, rear and top for exhaust.

What you described will work but it's not ideal in my opinion.

120mm fan filters are about $4 a piece and worth every penny!

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Got to go with Optix here. Side panel should be intake, as this is where the GPU lives, bringing cooler air in is a better bet than exhausting hot system air over the GPU and out. Remember, your base mounted PSU is sucking air out as well, so it'll be best to feed it with cool air as well with the side panel. Exhaust should typically be rear and top.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
alright, so I guess I'll take off one of the filters and stick it between the sidepanel and the new fan for intake, then use the top spot where I took the filter off for exhaust. It IS pushing the air out after all..shouldn't pose a dust problem. Thanks for the input :)

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
Ok here are the two different fans I'm looking at...not sure if there's an advantage with the CoolerMaster over the APEVIA, but I trust the CoolerMaster brand. However the APEVIA does come with a volume discount...I'm getting 4 fans so I'd get them for $6.49 each as opposed to $8.99 each for the CM fans. I'm definitely getting one of the CM fans anyway for a push/pull config for the Hyper 212 Plus I'm buying. Thoughts?

cooler/heatsink and thermal paste I'm getting.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I can vouche that the 19db rating on the CM R4's is WAAAAY too generous. They are more in line with the APEVIA model...likely even higher. Regardless, the R4's have been fairly popular and seem to do the job very well. I have yet to deal with APEVIA but I have no intention of doing so either.

The 212+ is a dream both in price and performance so I have no problems with that. I do have a problem with AS5 though. Yes, it performs well and is very popular with enthusiasts but it is conductive and has a burn-in time. There are better performing/more user friendly options out there.

I'm pressed for time at work so I'll have to finish this up later.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
You can and it will work but it's not the best performing TIM. Arctic Cool's MX series is supposed to be very good but I have yet to work with it.