Alright, second time around PC build

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
Ok I just looked on newegg's tracking and the last 2 packages are sitting on my porch. I'm at college atm, and I have a 2-hour break between Economics (which I'm in now) and my Tennis class. I'm seriously about to skip tennis, partly because I want to get that PC put together NOW, aaaaand partly because I don't feel comfortable leaving $300 in computer parts sitting on my porch for another 5 hours. yeah...I'm going home :p

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
If you can't skip Tennis could you ask a neighbour to wrangle your gear and hang onto it until you get home?

Couriers leaving parts is a no go for me. I'd rather make a separate trip to the depot a day or two late than run the risk of having my gear swiped, which I'm sure would happen in an apartment building.

Oh, don't worry about the OEM DVD and HD packaging. All of the rigs I've built have had those components shipped in the same way. It's par for the course and the reason why they cost less than their standard retail box counterparts.

Last edited:

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
is it ok if i ask a few PC build questions of my own in this thread Crimsondude?!? :D

too lazy to make a new one me is!

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
is it ok if i ask a few PC build questions of my own in this thread Crimsondude?!? :D

too lazy to make a new one me is!

haha sure go ahead :p

oh and I put it all together; at a friend's house right now so I can't get pics up yet. maybe tomorrow. The 6870 is HUGE O_O. anyway, got it all together, turned it on and went to install windows 7...but I can't find my disc...I threw it out by accident...lol. Thankfully it was an ISO download from MSDN at my college, so I can just go there, download it again, and I have an activator so that's not an issue. also when the cpu fan gets around 4000 rpm it gets LOUD like really loud buzzing. found out the wire for the fan wasn't completely tucked away inside the fan module so the fan was grazing the wire at higher speeds. I used a tiewrap and now it's fine. I'm downloading win7 here at my friend's house (he gets WAY better internet than me. I get 186kb/s download, he gets 2mb/s download) and I'll burn it to a dvd and install it tomorrow morning and post pics I took.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
thanx man! Post pics soon! :D

Well, i have saved $605 and i was thinking of joining intel's brotherhood of 'i' cpus but right now all the games i play run without any issues so i thought of getting a better/bigger chassis which would have lots of room, good ventilation and i could buy it once and not have to worry bout new chassis again. My current one has problems with the V8, had to remove both top and one side fan, so, i have 2 options:
buy the
Antec DF-85($163) or Cooler Master Storm Sniper($152) and wait a few months till i have enough money to change the CPU, Mobo, RAM and GPU..

OR stick with my current chassis and upgrade my CPU, Mobo and RAM(no GPU) to

Core i7 870($308),
Asus P7P55D($166) and
Corsair DOMINATOR DDR3 TWIN KIT 2X4096-1600 ($130)

what would u guys do?!? or recommend?!?:eek:

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Chassis' rarely change in price, and not made obsolete every 6 months. By purchasing a new chassis, you can save up for some hot, more modern gear. As you already said what you have works fine for now, getting a beefier chassis means you can fit more into it at a later date.

Remember, inbound Q1 and Q2 2011 we have Sandy Bridge and Bulldozer from Intel and AMD respectively, which will mean new sockets for both, so new MB's as well. Could save up for longer and get a killer system.

As for cases, there are so many to choose, I seem to be developing a taste for Corsair after a long stint of 3 Thermaltake monsters (Xaser III, Kandolf and a Xaser VI, I like Full towers...).

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
You could save a shit ton of cash by going with an Antec Three Hundred or a Haf 912 and sink the rest of the cash into the rest of your gear. If budget cases don't do it for you there is always the Corsair 600T. If I had to money to throw at a case, that would be the one.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
thanx guys! :D

@Tharic: U be right, a better chassis would allow me more room in the future, and i can save more till the new sandy bridge and bulldozer show up!

I only have selected Cooler Master, Antec and Thermaltake chassis available here and the Storm Sniper and DF-85 r the most promising ones!

@Optix: i could save money but ur mentioned cases be mid towers mate! :) They be almost similar to the one i currently have. I also love full tower cases and now i have the cash to buy one! Future proof baby! :D

Loving the DF-85 though! I want to buy something before the Eid holidays kick in!:) Will be going to Doobai! wohoo!

Last edited:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Oh crap, sorry dude. I completely missed the full tower requirement. I'm trying to dodge work and didn't read the posts that well apparently.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
Alright, this thing is a beast. I click on a program to open, and it opens like it's already been running. I get 70-100 frames per second in BC2 on max settings at 1440 x 900. Yeah, I'm happy :D

Can't get pics up yet, internet is being slow as ever. I'll get them up soon hopefully, as well as some gameplay videos :D

dlb

Obliviot
Decent rig, but the power supply is a massive piece of $#!*. Go with an Antec 650w (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015) or 750w (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371026). These are MUCH better units and still fit into your budget and power needs (even with a 2nd Xfire GPU). RaidMax units are really, REALLY crappy PSUs and may end up damaging your components due to high ripple and poor voltage regulation. Saving money on a PSU is unwise. After all, without a quality power supply, a PC is nothing more than an expensive box that just sits there; the PSU is the true heart of the PC: it makes everything else run. Your choice of CPU is excellent!!! I'm running the exact same processor and could NOT be happier!

(after I posted, I realized you have already built the new rig.... you may want to invest in a better PSU sooner vs. later)

Last edited:

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
(after I posted, I realized you have already built the new rig.... you may want to invest in a better PSU sooner vs. later)

I might when I go to crossfire. I read the reviews for it and over half of them had good reviews...most of the bad ones were because some people don't know the power requirements for some things (a few had 2 5770's and an i7 and tried massively overclocking them and destroyed their PC). If I crossfire my 6870, I'll probably get a Corsair 1000W PSU. I got this one because I was on a tight budget using my parents' Bill Me Later and they had a limit to how much money was allowed per order.

Your choice of CPU is excellent!!! I'm running the exact same processor and could NOT be happier!

Oh, I LOVE the CPU. It opens programs like they're already running! I can open up Steam instantly and BC2 takes literally 1 1/2 seconds to open, and when I close, BAM right back to my desktop, no lag at all. VERY pleased with this :D

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
I was watching a movie on my PC last night and suddenly my display went black and all the fans, CPU,Chipset and GPU started running at 100%, i could tell cause of the noise! It wont boot after that. I went to my vendor shop and they tested all the components and it turned out my motherboard is dead!

I dont know what to do now!! Buying a new chassis is out the window. Either i just buy whatever LGA775 motherboard available and get on with my life OR

i go for the below system now and wait for a new chassis later:
Core i7 870($308),
Asus P7P55D($166) and
Corsair DOMINATOR DDR3 TWIN KIT 2X4096-1600 ($130)

i also have another option of buying a LGA775 motherboard with ddr3 support and buy the above ram, and use my current CPU, selling my current RAM!

too confused, any ideas?!?

ps: my vendor thinks they 'might' be able to fix the motherboard!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I had my motherboard up and die after 3 months and I swore it was the generic PSU but I had a friend test it and it seemed to be working fine. It was from the early days of ASRock when their quality was pretty bad.

Are there any domed capacitors or any physical damage on your motherboard, Doomsday?

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
I had my motherboard up and die after 3 months and I swore it was the generic PSU but I had a friend test it and it seemed to be working fine. It was from the early days of ASRock when their quality was pretty bad.

Are there any domed capacitors or any physical damage on your motherboard, Doomsday?
Well no physical damage that i saw, but its with the vendor who will be letting me know by Thursday what the problem is and whether it can be fixed.

I am also considering a temporary lga775 m/b till the new LGA1155 Sandy Bridges come out! :confused:

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Ouch, that sucks, I love my current case but something about the Corsair 800D is calling to me hahahaha. Not to mention my new 11 inch GPU is gonna be a tight fit for the 900.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
The 800D is just too big both in size and in price but looks like a tech geeks wet dream to work in. The 600T is mighty sweet but still a bit pricey and not at all what Doomsday is looking for.