Xbox 360 Controller for Windows

Buck-O

Coastermaker
Ok, well, through tinkering with the calibration, i was able to get full axis on the triggers.

HOWEVER...the right trigger works great. The left trigger is reversed.

So its full when released, and reads 0 when depressed.

Works ok for some games that recognize it, works backwards for others. So im gonna see if theres a way i can reverse it.

Z

Zaza

Is there a way to adapt the wireless controller to the PC? A XBOX360 port to USB adaptor?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Zaza said:
Is there a way to adapt the wireless controller to the PC? A XBOX360 port to USB adaptor?

It wouldn't surprise me to see hacks for this in the future, but I'd rather see MS release a USB dongle themselves...

As they should have in the first place.

Buck-O

Coastermaker
Rob Williams said:
It wouldn't surprise me to see hacks for this in the future, but I'd rather see MS release a USB dongle themselves...

As they should have in the first place.

Aparently MS is planning on releaseing a USB dongle for the wireless controlers at a later date.

Somthing to do with a limited supply of wireless controllers dude to their popularity on the 360. So one demand forthe wireless controlers settles down on the console. They will release a "PC version" of the wireless controler (same as the wired) with a USB dongle, and a driver CD.

THats the rumor going around thus far.

Buck-O

Coastermaker
Big Daddy said:
Has anyone tested the PC version of Call of Duty 2 with the Xbox controller? Thanks!

Havent tried it.
Cant say i ever will. PC first person shooters are meant to be played with a mouse and keyboard. Trying to play with a controler will jsut be an exercise in frustration.

I dont think that COD2 has any special PC functionality for the 360 controler. Im sure it would work jsut as a basic input device would.

I think that the only current PC game that supports Xinput for the 360 controler completely, is Price of Persia: The Two Thrones.

Buck-O

Coastermaker
Also, there is a new version of the driver out at redcl0uds. Helps fix some bugs with the input layout. Works very nice now.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From MS:

While we don’t have a comprehensive list of games supporting the controller, the recently released “Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones†from Ubisoft includes native support for the Xbox 360 Controller for Windows. Other titles are expected in the future. Additionally, most game titles that support peripheral controllers should be able to recognize and support the Xbox 360 Controller for Windows as long as the proper driver is loaded onto the PC. Depending on the game, users may also be able to assign or adjust button configuration. However, that feature is dependent on the game options. Some Windows game titles that already work with the Xbox 360 Controller for Windows include: “Moto GP URT 3,†“Halo,†“Lego Star Wars,†“Need for Speed Underground 2,†“Psychonauts†and “F.E.A.R.†<o>.</o>
<o></o>
Games in development which use the XInput API, to support features such as force feedback, will be able to utilize the full range of features and functionality of controller. Developers have had access to the XInput controller API since early October of this year and we have been working closely with industry partners to ensure compatibility between games and controllers.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
No :(

I have a feeling that they don't care that much, because there is an obvious desire to have it. I hope someone else will come along, like Logitech and create a controller similar to the 360 but be wireless.

Buck-O

Coastermaker
Ive read a couple of little blurbs that MS plans to release a USB dongle that will be compatible with the wireless controlers. But theres no idea when that will happen.

And its somwhat unlikely that a thrid party will release a USB dongled version either. COnsidering that if they made a version for the 360, as a licenced partner they would have full access, to the built in wireless of the 360, and wpuldent have a USB dongle. And even if they did decide to, i wonder if MS would get a bit lippy with them over their contractural licencing agreements.

Heres to hoping though. Id love to see a wireless PC version of the controler.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It doesn't make sense to me.. Microsoft has the money to 'gamble' on a wireless controller for the PC. People are asking for it, I have no idea why they are not hurrying up.

tomato

Obliviot
So... does anyone have any further updates about using the wireless XBox 360 controller with a PC? I was considering the wired controller, but there are more than enough wires in & around my PC, so if I could eliminate even one, it would be helpful...

U

Unregistered

I've tried to use the wireless controller with the play and charge cord, and XP doesn't not install it correctly. I've download and installed the drivers from MS with no success. I also tried XBCD program mentioned earlier with no success.

I cannot understand why if the controller is plugged via a USB port it will not work.

I've searched around MS site, and nothing about trying this setup. One would assume if it will not work with the wireless controller with the plug and play adapter they would have a mention of it on the product info or in the MS games section.

And why would someone want to get the cord version of the controller if they have the x360. It's not much more to get the wireless.

If MS wanted to make some quick and easy money, they could just sell the dangle for the wireless controller to use with the PC. I don't know how much demand there would be for the dangle, but I'm sure plenty of people would play like $10 bucks for it.

U

Unregistered

No Lite and no Rumble

Iv downloaded the drivers as posted in the fourms and dune as the readmefiles state and still no lite or rumble anyone have any idea's

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hey,

The light will never turn on unless you plug the controller into the Xbox 360. As for the rumble, it will only work with very specific games as far as I know, but I don't have a list sadly.

Microsoft isn't exactly supporting the controller for Windows that well... I hate to say. I wish they would smarten up their act and give this thing better support.

U

Unregistered

Thax

Thank you for the quick reply and i agree with wtf they are missing the boat on this on i rember the first time i touched the 360 controler it was like the first time i touched pussy it just felt right!