TRENDnet TEW-637AP Wireless N Access Point

U

Unregistered

DarkSynergy did you get an answer to this question? Using two of these to bridge a network would be great on different sides of the house- ie: Router (read: content server) -> 637AP <-Wireless-> 637AP -> Home Theater equipment. I currently have a "G" setup and streaming HD content stutters too much on my PS3.

300 (or even 30!) would be a considerable upgrade over what I'm using now... ~10M max rate using iperf testing...

Any info?

H

hb5fa

I see value in this device

I came across your messageboard while doing research on this "Easy-N-Upgrader". The TEW-637ap is exactly what I need because of the inferior wireless g performance offered by the iBoss Internet Parental Control I use at home. The iBoss is superior in doing what it does and my family cannot live without it. Unfortunately, its built-in 802.11b/g is just too weak to speak of. Low range and is not MIMO. Having this upgrade makes a world of difference.

You are absolutely correct about have the N-router all by itself; however, TRENDnet fills the nich of the market where homes use hardware based parenting control and not-so-savvy wired/wireless router owners who simply cannot get rid of their existing routers.

Cheer!

P

Peter

Hidden features

Hi,

I´m using this unit for a couple of months already.
At the moment my lap is g only, but even at this stage I get the maximum throughput, a G-WLAN is able to provide (~25MBit/s), while my default router doesn´t exceed 18MBit/s.
In fact, given a long Cat5 cable, the Trendnet can be more flexibly located to maximize reception an througput in all desired areas, while my router is more or less fixed to a radius of 1-2m, as it is an "all inclusive" unit with POTS/ISDN-features, DSL-Modem, Router an WLAN, for those familiar, it´s the so called "Fritz!Box", a very popular device here in Germany and neighboring countries.

Found some intesting details about the setup.
When I purchased it, I made an firmware upgrade from Trendnets homepage. At this time, the firmware was promising more details like adjustable transmit power.
However I never found this option. Contacting Trendnet they denied this option, even though it was written on the homepage as well as in the manual.
After struggling with them about where to get this option, they finally removed it from their hp and reviced the downloadable manual.
Days later calling the setup menu in my browser, for a short moment I saw "hidden" features, which however disappeared. Thereafter I checked the source of the browser and saw some features, however being disabled from being displayed by the code .

What can be done in order to edit these hidden features? Simply use an html editor, in my case MS Frontpage. To open the Trendnet menu, there´s an icon in my browser, which allows editing the browser content with either the text editor or with Frontpage. Having done this, in the edit tab, all features are visible, but can´t be altered and sent to the Trendnet. However, if you open the html tab, the source can be seen there. Now, removing the and the ending command after the lines, which should be hidden, you can again call the normal view tab and the unveiled features can be seen, edited and sent to the router.
In my case, I changed the TX Power from default 100 to 70%, becaue in my present flat this is more than enough. To check, whether this has been succesfull, just call the menu again http://xxx.xxx.xxx.x/wireless/advanced.asp, open the source code, an right at the beginning, var txPower = '70' can be seen.
Experimenting, I found, that even values >100 can be entered and sent to the router, and the networks strength is measurably higher than with 100%, a value i.e. of 120% is entered.
There are more hidden features, which might turn out to be of value for some users.

Just try it and report your results.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Peter

sorry for multiple posts, but something is weired here.
Hope the necessary info is clear.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That is the first time I've ever seen the forums break from someone's post. I'll have to look into this one. Might be due to the allowance of HTML on these forums, but I'm not sure.

Edit: Fixed, but that was odd. Thanks for your information though, that's a cool way of getting around things :)

Last edited:
P

Peter

Hi,

me too, I think the forum broke due to my inserted html code.
Just to mention the "hiding" commands, but not quoting the full command, it is: tr style="display:none" , I just left out the < and >. The end command is /tr again without < and >.
Just look for these commands, remove both the command and it´s neutralizing, then the hidden features should be seen.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yup, it was the HTML code. I'm just not sure how it went through... I thought this forum had disabled HTML, but I was wrong. To post code so that it's seen and not executed, you can hit the pound (#) key in the WYS editor to put code brackets around the code.

A

Anne

TrendNet Wireless N upgrader TEW-637AP

I have the upgrader installed behind a Motorola wireless modem/router combo. I use the wireless G on the Motorola for my Tivos and am attempting to use the AP for the N to my computers in the home. I have it all set up with WEP encryption, mac filtering and hidden SSID. The problem is that when I hide the SSID, closing the computer out, when I return it can not find the SSID and connect to it. It is listed in the preferred networks and is listed first. It should be able to find it without me having to enter it every time I turn on my laptop, but it doesn't. Why can't it find the hidden SSID since it is listed first on the preferred networks?

Thanks in advance for you help

Glued to your current wireless setup but want to make the leap to 802.11n? With the TEW-637AP, it's very possible. By adding this to your existing network, you open up all of the "n" benefits, while retaining all of the settings on your current router. Is 802.11n worthy of such a unique upgrade?

You can read Greg's full article here and discuss it here.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I have the upgrader installed behind a Motorola wireless modem/router combo. I use the wireless G on the Motorola for my Tivos and am attempting to use the AP for the N to my computers in the home. I have it all set up with WEP encryption, mac filtering and hidden SSID. The problem is that when I hide the SSID, closing the computer out, when I return it can not find the SSID and connect to it. It is listed in the preferred networks and is listed first. It should be able to find it without me having to enter it every time I turn on my laptop, but it doesn't. Why can't it find the hidden SSID since it is listed first on the preferred networks?

Thanks in advance for you help

Alright, I am not familiar with hidden SSID's at all, but aren't they supposed to be hidden, as the name implies? I have never used a hidden SSID, but I always figured that the only way to connect to them would be to manually create a connection and type out the SSID for that network, and then tell it to connect automatically each time. If the SSID is hidden, I don't think it should be listed in the network connections at all, unless it's only there because you previously accessed it.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I'm not entirely sure... I forgot to fill in the SSID field on my router once, it didn't seem to matter as the laptop still detected the network. Same thing if I chose a hidden SSID. I never thought much about it though, I just assumed any wireless signal would be easily detectable with the right software.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Hide SSID doesn't actually do much to prevent hackers, since they'll know a signal is there, they just won't know its name. Like meeting someone in a street, you know they're there, you just don't know their name. As you have found out as well, enabling it just causes you problems and it won't deter a hacker, if anything, it provokes. If you want security, go with WPA-2 with AES encryption, or WPA at the least since WEP, even 128 or 256bit, can be cracked in a couple minutes with the right software, SSID on or off. WPA-2 with AES is much stronger, not invincible, but far better than WEP.

Same can be said for MAC address limiting. A hacker can just cause a disconnection of the network (there are guides to do this over the net), causing everyone to do handshakes again, at which point they can listen for mac address data, capture it and emulate it.

Last edited:
B

BMills

set up for a mac

I am trying to set up the basics for my MAC Laptop and desktop. Can't access the TEW637 via 192.168.10.100 Help?!

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
I might consider buying this. I have a G router, and every freaking time someone loads a webpage on another computer with a lot of media on it, I lag like crazy when I'm gaming and my ping SKYROCKETS from 25 to 750 and even higher. This thing would really help me out.

oh and lol "for security purposed" I suppose is supposed to read "security purposes"?

trendnet_tew637ap_12_thumb.jpg

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
I might consider buying this. I have a G router, and every freaking time someone loads a webpage on another computer with a lot of media on it, I lag like crazy when I'm gaming and my ping SKYROCKETS from 25 to 750 and even higher. This thing would really help me out.

Try and look around for a QoS (Quality of Service) option, usually hidden away in either port forwarding or admin, most routers (over the last 5 years at least) have some kind of QoS option, and set HTTP and FTP to Low Priority. If you know the port the game uses, set that as a custom port number and increase it to high priority, or if there's an 'other' port option, set that to high. This makes sure that your game/other port traffic is minimally affected by web activity.... well, tries, in practice it may not have a huge affect, but still worth a try.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
Try and look around for a QoS (Quality of Service) option, usually hidden away in either port forwarding or admin, most routers (over the last 5 years at least) have some kind of QoS option, and set HTTP and FTP to Low Priority. If you know the port the game uses, set that as a custom port number and increase it to high priority, or if there's an 'other' port option, set that to high. This makes sure that your game/other port traffic is minimally affected by web activity.... well, tries, in practice it may not have a huge affect, but still worth a try.

It uses port 27015, so set that one right?

my router is also a Belkin wireless G router, and i've found out that those routers have much less options than most others do...lol

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member

my router is also a Belkin wireless G router, and i've found out that those routers have much less options than most others do...lol

What Belkin router are you using? Like Tharic-Nar said, QoS is your best bet to throttle bandwidth.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member

It seems it's mainly the N and G+ routers in the Belkin range that support QoS, most of the standard G's don't - and even then, it's only over wireless using 11e filtering, no custom settings. Going through the manuals for the ones that do support QoS, the options is usually in Wireless - Channel and SSID, or it's own menu. If it's under Wireless, then your options will be limited, but under most circumstances, it'll help with VoIP.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
That model supports WMM, a form of QoS, but limited to Wireless only... quick description...
WMM (Wi-Fi Multimedia) is a wireless QoS specification, a subset of 802.11e improving quality of video and voice applications for wireless clients.

It can help control latency and jitter when transmitting multimedia content over a wireless connection.
If you're trying to get QoS on your local machine (not including other networked PCs), you can get some software that'll prioritise traffic for you, but only on the local machine. I haven't read into it much, or used any, so I can't really comment on usefulness. One app I saw in passing was NetBalancer , which allows you to set traffic priority on a per process basis, as well as transfer limits (free version limited to 5 process limits). I'm sure there are others, probably much better, so I'd look around.