TRENDnet TEW-637AP Wireless N Access Point

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Glued to your current wireless setup but want to make the leap to 802.11n? With the TEW-637AP, it's very possible. By adding this to your existing network, you open up all of the "n" benefits, while retaining all of the settings on your current router. Is 802.11n worthy of such a unique upgrade?

You can read Greg's full article here and discuss it here.

M

mykie

Thanks for the review!

I just bought this AP last week, and I'm happily using it now. I find the range on it more than acceptable, getting well over 100mbit throughout my house with my two Intel 4965AGN-based laptops.

In your review, you made mention of why anyone would want to keep their router but upgrade their wireless. For me, that reason is the ability to use DD-WRT firmware with my Buffalo WHR-G125 router, which has yet to make it on to any competent Wifi-N router.

With the TEW-637AP, i don't have to set up my wifi-g and wifi-b devices again, as they can use the old router, and my wifi-N devices get a dedicated device.

Thanks again!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You seem like the perfect customer for this product, and honestly, it's nice to see someone out there who already owns this product and can speak of its benefits.

It seems like the product is an acquired taste, but definitely proves useful in cases like yours.

B

B-buck

AP? Wireless Bridge?

I think I'd like to use this thing as a wireless bridge, but from the trendnet website/documentation and even this article, I'm not 100% sure that's possible.

Currently, I've got a media player with wireless g and a 10/100 wired interface on it. I'm using the wireless g to connect to it. I already have an N router, and I'd like to put this box next to the player, plug in the wired connection, and "do N" to the media player through this. Make sense?

This whole "upgrade your network (router) from G to N without replacing the router" sales pitch is *interesting*, but it also seems to obscure other useful possibilities. Any additional info about the TEW-637AP's ability to work as a wireless bridge would be appreciated. TIA.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I think I'd like to use this thing as a wireless bridge, but from the trendnet website/documentation and even this article, I'm not 100% sure that's possible.

Currently, I've got a media player with wireless g and a 10/100 wired interface on it. I'm using the wireless g to connect to it. I already have an N router, and I'd like to put this box next to the player, plug in the wired connection, and "do N" to the media player through this. Make sense?

This whole "upgrade your network (router) from G to N without replacing the router" sales pitch is *interesting*, but it also seems to obscure other useful possibilities. Any additional info about the TEW-637AP's ability to work as a wireless bridge would be appreciated. TIA.

I just shot off an email to TRENDnet to see if they will confirm or deny that the 637AP can be used to bridge a connection. I will report their answer here when I get it.

M

Monchie

Useful Review for a Newbie

Your review on TEW-637AP is a very useful reference for me being a newbie in wireless stuff. My current setup is still the Linksys WRT54GL with 2 desktops and 3 laptops connected to it. The setup is working perfectly except for some dead spots in the house. While I’m not up to total revamp yet of my equipment towards the “N”, I’m now thinking of addressing my dead spots problem by acquiring TEW-637AP (vs. Linksys WRE54G Range Extender). My basic question is, when I eventually upgrade fully to “N” , can I still make use of the TEW-637AP in that new “N” setup? Thanks a lot.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Of course you can. While it won't "upgrade" the network to n because your router will be n already, you can use it as an access point to extend your wireless coverage in your house wherever you see fit.

U

Unregistered

How did you get that to work?

i have an IBM t61 with a Intel 4965AGN Card. I also have the Trendnet TEW-637AP.
My laptop doesnt connect at over 54 Mbs. how did you get this to work?

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
It sounds like your going to have to get into the web interface of the 637AP itself and see what connection type you have setup.

By default, the AP will be set to 802.11 b/g/n mixed mode but there are options to set it to individual protocols. It might be set to g. I would also play around with the properties of your wireless network card in your notebook too and see if anything looks out of place there as well.

If all else fails, set both the 637AP and the wireless card to only operate on 802.11n and see if it even works at all.

What are your speeds now? Does it say connected at 54 Mbps or does it say 300 Mpbs? If your worried about actual speeds, don't expect to see a true 300 Mpbs connection as actual real world speeds will be no where near it. If it actually says that your connected at 54 Mpbs then something is wrong somewhere. If thats the case, try what we just suggested and we will word from there.

Good luck!

hilleyja

Obliviot
Does this device do what I want it to without changing my basic wireless network setup?

I currently have a wireless network setup at home. Home includes an outbuilding (workshop) that is about 50' from the main house. Network connectivity is pretty good from all but the computer in the outbuilding -- this connectivity ranges from POOR to GOOD depending on the time of day.

I'm running a Linksys WRT54G router physically connected via one of the 4 ports to one of the desktop computers in the house. I also have a cable modem connected to the router via one of the 4 ports and I have a mutifunction printer/scanner/fax connected to a 3rd port. Another desktop computer in the house is connected wirelessly using a Linksys USB wireless adapter. This computer is about 30' from the router going through 2 walls and generally has GOOD connectivity but not max. A third desktop computer, also using a Linksys USB wireless adapter, is in the outbuilding. Its connectivity is virtually absent except I was able to improve on it by installing a Linksys Wireless Range Extender WRE54G and higher gain antennas on the router. This gives me connectivity between POOR (daytime) and GOOD (nighttime). The extender is separated from the router by about 30' going through 2 walls. It sits on a window sill that provides a line-of-sight between it and the USB wireless adapter connected to the outbuilding desktop computer. A laptop and a Palm Lifedrive make up the other two wireless connections. Their connectivity varies depending on where they are being operated from in the house. The further away from the router the poorer connectivity.

My Question: Can I install this TRENDnet TEW-637AP Wireless N Access Point and improve my connectivity in the outbuilding? I'm not into streaming video of heavy graphics so throughput is not the issue -- the standard WRT54G throughput is more than sufficient. I only need to improve range connectivity -- my goal is to get EXCELLANT connectivity for all devices connected to my wireless network. Also, my internet access works off of the IP address of the Linksys WRT54G router; I would like to keep this as is because I would have to contact the cable company if I change it. What, if any, specially configurations do I need to setup and do I need to change any configurations on the other devices?

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Hi Hilleyja,

Reading through your post a few times, I half assed my way through drawing up a diagram of what I think your situation looks like.

The first thing that strikes me as odd is that your connections vary so much between day and evening. That said, there are a few things that you might try to up your signal strength before spending money on this TRENDnet adapter. You might try a different channel. I believe there are 11 different frequencies that you can set your wireless G to operate on and simply changing them might help out some. It doesn't take long to try and it's free.

I have never worked with that Linksys range extender so I am unsure how they perform. I am however questioning it's power if your still getting poor signal strength even with line of sight. While I have worked with the 637AP extensively, I cannot guarantee that it will solve your problems. The adapter needs to be wired to your router so that alone will limit your placement of the thing. You can run a length of cable if you want to place it someplace different but having Cat5 running across your floor, or under your trim (however you want to run it) is clearly a choice you will have to make.

That said, if the PC in your outbuilding is operating on the G band, you still might encounter the same problems your experiencing right now. The range of N is a lot better than G so if you want to truly take advantage of this new protocol, you'll have to buy a N adapter for your PC in the other building and thats going to add cost to your project.

The TEW-637AP is a great little device and has enabled me to expand my signal all the way out to my barn with is about 60 feet from the house. Like you, I have the adapter setup close to a window so wall interference is kept to a minimum.

I can't guarantee that this device will help you out but I personally think that it will. I am basing this solely off of the information that you gave in your previous post too. If you need any additional help, please stop by again and ask. I will work with you to get a respectable signal in your other building.

*EDIT - You also will not have to change your network settings on your existing router to use this AP. Simply hook it up and run the setup utility. Remember though, you will see the TRENDnet's wireless SSID and not your routers, even though you will still be on the same network.

Last edited:

hilleyja

Obliviot
RE:RE: TRENDnet TEW-637AP Wireless N Access Point

Darksynergy Thanks for your response. By-the-way, I have already purchased the TEW-637AP so that expense is already made.

Well my post above was made before I installed the TEW-637AP (waiting on UPS). I installed it last night (it sits right next to the Linksys WRT54G router) and your suspicions about it not solving my problem appears to be correct. My signal strength in the workshop is no better (and no worse) than the G to G. I had thought the TEW-637AP would, in itself, enhance my range even with a wireless G adapter on the workshop computer. If the signal coming to my workshop computer from the TEW-637AP does not utilize the Linksys Range Extender or the enhanced antennas on the WRT54G router then I'm getting as good a range from the TEW-637AP by itself without the extra help.

If you think changing out the G wireless adapter on my workshop computer to an N will improve my signal strength thats probably the direction I'll go. The other desktop computer in the house is not a problem, its signal strength is maximum. Can you recommend a relatively inexpensive USB Wireless N adapter for my workshop computer? It is running Windows XP Professional.

Heres a note, the Linksys Range Extender is located on the windowsill in the middle of my house. It is about 30' away from the router and behind two walls. The signal has to pass straight through one wall but goes through the other wall at an extreme angle, almost 180 degrees) By-the-way, the studs in my walls are 2x4 wood. The Range Extender's antenna is 50' line-of-site (through two windows) with the Linksys USB Wireless G adapter connected to the workshop computer. The Linksys USB Wireless G adaptor connected to the workshop computer also contains a USB extension cord to get it to the windowsill in the workshop.

I did find that the TEW-637AP does create a new wireless connection (new SSID) source so I had to configure the workshop computer's wireless connectivity to that source.

I will also play with the channel assignments to see if that helps.

Last edited:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Are you looking for USB or would an internal, PCI or PCI-E adapter work just as well?

Is there anything located between your home and your workshop? Power lines above, circuit panel on the wall close by? Cordless phone base near by?

To address your last post, if your connecting to the SSID for the TRENDnet adapter, that Linksys range extender isn't doing you anything at all. It sounds like even at a further distance, the 637AP is giving you just as good of signal as the Linksys range booster. Is running a length of Cat5 out of the question? I would assume it would be as it might be an unsightly idea.

Concerning your walls, if there is any power lines running through the walls, in between the router (or the AP) and the PC, there might be a decent amount of interference. This could be one contributing factor to your poor signal performance.

TRENDnet has a decent USB adapter... three built in antennas and its only 30 bucks after you send in a mail in rebate. I think we are moving in the right direction... we just need to figure out whats keeping you from a solid connection.

U

Unregistered

Trendnet LAN Port

I enjoyed your article on the 637. However, the specs on the Trendnet site only list the LAN port speed at 10/100. Is the trendnet site a typo? (I hope so) I was wondering why an AP with 300 Mb speed would have to be bottled up by a 100 Mb LAN port.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Thank you for the questions. This is in fact a typo on our part and will be corrected. While the numbers don't add up at first glance, you are not going to see actual speeds fast enough to be bottle necked by a 10/100 connection. Thanks again for pointing out our typo!

U

Unregistered

I just shot off an email to TRENDnet to see if they will confirm or deny that the 637AP can be used to bridge a connection. I will report their answer here when I get it.

DarkSynergy did you get an answer to this question? Using two of these to bridge a network would be great on different sides of the house- ie: Router (read: content server) -> 637AP <-Wireless-> 637AP -> Home Theater equipment. I currently have a "G" setup and streaming HD content stutters too much on my PS3.

300 (or even 30!) would be a considerable upgrade over what I'm using now... ~10M max rate using iperf testing...

RadGuy007

Obliviot
I recently purchased the TrendNet and have yet to set it up. I was read that it is recommended this setup be on a "wired" pc. All I have is a laptop on my wireless network. (my son took the desktop to college) Can I still set this up using the laptop?? I currently have a D-Link 4300 router and a new HP laptop with b/g/n.
Thanks

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
RadGuy, yes you can "set it up" over wireless without issue, however do not attempt to update the firmware over a wireless connection.

Wireless is a mishmash of dropped or garbeled packets for any number of huge reasons, even with the laptop next to the router packets can get dropped. If a damaged or corrupted firmware file got flashed to the router it would brick it permanently.

While it is always a good idea to update your router firmware, only attempt to do so on a wired connection. But for things like changing settings and configurations, it does not matter. :)

RadGuy007

Obliviot
When I fired up the new laptop it automatically found the existing network. How do I tell the laptop that I want it to use the N vs G??

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Make sure you secure your network, if all you did was plug the router in anyone can access and view transmitted data!

You need to go into the router config and configure it to use G or N, or a combination of both. You can set this in the router. As long as the laptop supports wireless N it will automatically detect this and use only N.