The *Official* I'm Pumped For Borderlands 2 Thread AKA Here's My Wallet, Randy!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'll be going with Gunzerker first and I'm rather stoked about it. Love the idea of dual-wield weapons, and our real-life sizes about match so it's a perfect first.

Figured that about Zero's skill. I do wonder if it'll become really useful later on. Same goes for Siren.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
I some how have three after signing up. I know I got one from the preorder and one from shift, but where the 3rd came from I have no idea.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I don't think the method of giving out keys is perfect. That could be why the site was down for a few days, but there was someone on the Gearbox forums who reported getting 20 keys. If it's on the Internet it -must- be true!

Lemme check my key total...

Nope. Only 1 extra. So congrats, Kayden. You could get a sweet weapon to help you start, one at the midway point to help you get through the grind and then another when you hit the cap.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Couple of quick thoughts, after putting four hours in so far.

The game is awesome. It has little niggles, but those are nothing in the grand scheme. The worst issue I've encountered so far is when someone will attempt to activate a quest object at the same time (such as a telescope) and then one will lose their HUD, forcing them to relog. Fortunately, it seems so far that BL2 is much better than BL1 when it comes to not losing progress when something like that happens.

As much as I hate to given we have so many AMD users on the forums, I have to say that I'm blown away by the PhysX implementation with this game. During boss battles, there's debris everywhere, and the Siren's special skill when it sucks in things from around it just looks amazing (I am not sure if that particular effect is 100% PhysX though). There's also the cool effect where you open up a toilet and a bunch of liquid comes spewing out, but some might consider that a downside ;-) The same effect can be seen with blown-apart element canisters.

Borderlands 2 PhysX.jpg

I am not sure I am 100% fine with the removal as weapon skill levels, but I guess this does enable the ability to not be limited to just one or two weapon-types (although the mods still do prefer a particular one, like SMG for Siren). I do love the addition of Badass Points though.

The humor in the game so far is just brilliant... love it, and I can say the same with the difficulty. While it is much more difficult than the original (I couldn't imagine soloing this, to be honest), I appreciate that it's not quite as easy as I expected it to be. In the original, you could really run and gun all the time with little worry. I in fact really never remember running for cover unless I was nearly dying, but here, running for cover is probably the first thing to do, haha.

I also gotta say the draw distance is also awesome. When Steam dropped out on us once, I could see the others running back to me from the start of the area, and it was a seriously good click away. There's another area too near the start of the game where you are quite a distance from this little sea-side town, but if you zoom in with a weapon, you can see every single detail.

So far, so good. I foresee many gameplay hours in my future.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
My friend David and I are both at the same point and we're having a blast. Instead of a game with a bit of a story thrown in, there's a story with a game built around it. I won't ruin the fun, but holy shit! CATCH A RIDE!

This is the game that will easily take me through the years. Bring on the Mechromancer!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Ok, I don't care who you are, but if you own an AMD-based card, there's always one thing you're jealous of. In-game physics..

Just for shits and giggles I decided to see what my 7850 is capable of and jacked the physics up to high and the results are outstanding! I don't know if it's true, NVIDIA branded PhysX or if it's just bells and whistles added in by the developer with the ability to turn them down for less beefy systems, but wow. What a difference.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Tharic-Nar was having outstanding performance running Physx as well. I am really glad to see that it is working well on AMD systems now.

EDIT: I Just found this today, LMAO!

original.jpg

Last edited:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Nice find.

A friend of mine is running a 6850 and even he is able to run the game full out with PhysX on high on a 22" monitor. *shrug*

Just as a heads up, I ran into my first problem with a quest in the game. It was during the Tiny Tina tea party chain. Hopefully I don't spoil anything but saying this but when it comes time to smack someone, the box is still up. Jump on top of the box, kneel down and move around until you get the "smack" prompt.

Last edited:

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Going from low to high Physx was just... ridiculous. It just adds so many effects in a fire fight, you become blinded with the eye-candy. Personally, I think it's a little over the top, especially with the fire; things just become very difficult to see, so I may drop it down to medium.

Anyway, with the 4-way we had going last night, there were a few moments when my system slowed to a crawl due to Physx, mainly because of a cluster grenade and people letting rip on a Super Raging Badass Brute thing... it all quickly settled back down again after. I think the crossfire rig is really helping though, due to all the extra geometry that gets added to a scene.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Is it just me, or is $10 for a character a significant amount of cash? I am just putting things into perspective. If the four main characters were $10 each, it means the rest of the game clocks in at under $20 .

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Pre-orda!

That was one of the reasons why I wanted to reserve my copy...I'm cheap!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Thanks for the Wiki link, Rob. I was waiting for that.

Pre-ordering means I get the first bit of DLC for free. That's all I was trying to get at, but yes, $10 for a character is very steep. I'm thinking that Gearbox may offer some extra content on top of that. If not, I'd say fuck all ya'll and grab the Season Pass.

I may still do that, but I'm going back and forth on it.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
So my friend and I finished the first play through tonight and BL2 has to be one of the most complete, polished games that I've played in a VERY long time. Aside from dicey controls while in the vending machine/inventory menu and occasionally odd happenings with the AI, I am 100% happy.

I don't want to spoil anything for anybody, but at the same time I want to tell everything about the game.

Now it's a mad dash to 50 before we get to say hello to Gaige!

Last edited:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Wow, the 2nd play through is ROUGH! I'm getting my ass kicked about every half hour. It's still fun, but much harder than the first.