Show off your desktop!

MacMan

Partition Master
Is it true that.....

Recently, I have been trying to keep a nice, tidy and clean desktop, because I read that a cluttered desktop can cause a performance hit on a computer.

Is it true that a clutter desktop, in fact, can slow down your computers performance? And, if so, just how much of a latency hit can it produce?

According to an article I recently read, but hell if I can remember where, stated that each and every icon, folder or other piece of crap on your desktop uses memory, etc. and can, if your desktop is really cluttered like my desktop, can induce a significant slow down! Question: IS THAT TRUE?

To be on the safe side, I am going to try and keep my desktops as simple as can be, like this recent shot.

Attachments

• Scaled Image.jpg
    Scaled Image.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 696
Last edited:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Aside from the theme, I love your desktop organization. I am the same way in a sense. I have everything down below in my quick start bar and virtually nothing on the desktop. I however enjoy a straight black background over any pictures.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
According to an article I recently read, but hell if I can remember where, stated that each and every icon, folder or other piece of crap on your desktop uses memory, etc. and can, if your desktop is really cluttered like my desktop, can induce a significant slow down! Question: IS THAT TRUE?

To be on the safe side, I am going to try and keep my desktops as simple as can be, like this recent shot.

I dont know if I buy that. If thats the case, then everything in the start menu would slow the system down since, like the desktop icons, the start menu is just made up of shortcuts. I just don't know if I can jump on board with that theory. If it is actually true though, I think I could live with the performance hit as I do not want to follow the entire file path to each and every program installed on my PC.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yes a lot of icons will cause increased latency. This was more of a problem with older computers though (>2000). If you pile up your desktop with a bunch of hi-res icons, it could be a noticeable performance hit. If you don't feel one, then it's not a problem.

Ben

Site Developer
Here is my desktop:

I shamelessly copied this idea from this Wiki page where I saw a screen shot of a similar setup.

I'm using a custom cursor from here.
I'm also using Tahoma for all my fonts.

Running KDE 3.5.6 with the Plastik theme.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Nice setup Ben. I see you have an Xfce kind of look going on with your KDE. I tried Tahoma and couldn't get into it.. I just like smooth fonts too much. Updated my desktop... mainly icon differences. It's hard to look at the same icons for months.

Attachments

• july07desktop.jpg
    july07desktop.jpg
    554.1 KB · Views: 898

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Um... It been a while since ive posted in here...

As usual, as cluttered as my desktop is, This is semi organized. ;-p

So F@K off.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 619

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Cool, clean wallpaper ccdarkness, I like it. Stork, if your PC suddenly dies, I'll assume it's because of lack of breathing room ;-)

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I actually managed to reduce that down by a column...

ok so I do a lot of stuff... You should see some of those sub folders i have on there...

madstork91

The One, The Only...
um... none.

I think I have pretty much every major program installed plus a few major games. ~24gb left.

And thats with a -LOT- of music and movies as well.