Project: Deuce

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Pics up tonight... I'm about to fall asleep on my keyboard! :)
You would not believe the number of times I had to re-write stuff just to get the pics up!

I will add full text after I have had some sleep!

placement1.jpg

placement2.jpg

placement3.jpg

placement4.jpg

placement5.jpg

placement6.jpg

placement7.jpg

placement8.jpg

placement_fans_sound.jpg

pumpcable1.jpg

pumpcable2.jpg

pumpcable3.jpg

resbracket1.jpg

resbracket2.jpg

resbracket3.jpg

resbracket4.jpg

resbracket5.jpg

resbracket6.jpg

resbracket7.jpg

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
My poor computer is undergoing therapy for induced feelings of inadequacy. I hope you're happy. :D

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
LOL! You guys are funny!
Spent some time tonight working on the 2nd shroud, and getting the gap set correctly for the SLI bridge.
*THAT* was fun... alot more stress than I was wanting to have!

Nothing broken, nothing mucked up... but let me throw a tip out here.

IMPORTANT SAFTEY TIP!!!
Do NOT turn a lit propane torch in such a way as to hit you in the face! The heat goes WELL beyond the "little blue flame"

that is all...
Hehehe, got a bit rodeo there for a few seconds!
Like I said, no harm to me or the mod, just a very fortunate outcome to a "WHOA CRAP!"
;)

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Finally got my other video card back last week and then *finally* got my correct LED fans delivered! (First set did not have the LED's.... be that as it may! The 2nd video card shroud was ENTIRELY too much drama. ANd I apologize in that I did not take pics of the processing today... only the results.

Card #2 I misjudged on the sanding and ended up taking too much material off, and I spent the rest of the day performing lots of custom bends and tweaks to get the shroud to lay right on the card.

That and the SLI bridge was just more drama than it needed to be! ;)
BUT... I still have some more LED's to mount in the shrouds to make them pop.... but.... welll... see for yourself!

First fan installed and looking pretty darn dapper I might add! ;) I bored out the holes with a counter sink tool to let the screws fall through deep enough to grab the fan fram for a few twists. I flame polished those too! ;)
vc_fan1.jpg

Put in both cards, note the SLI bridge!
vc_fan2.jpg

vc_fan3.jpg

vc_fan4.jpg

Turn on the fans using a little psu I have for hard drives, and drop the lights:
vc_fan5.jpg

vc_fan6.jpg

vc_fan7.jpg

My box is on FIRE!!!!! ;)

I have a few minor tweaks and cleanup to pull off on these units, but I am damn happy!

-=TD

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Wow, a lot of progress since I last checked here. Things are looking great as always T-D... and when you say on fire, you mean in two ways.

The GPU shrouds look absolutely fantastic, especially in the dark. Not to mention that fact that they look like BEASTS on the motherboard. It's like putting a Veyron engine in a Focus :-D

As for the acrylic... it must be a lot of fun being able to shape it in any way you want. Talk about freedom!

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
heheheh.... I like your analogy! Funny!
I have a minor update to post up shortly if I can get off my duff and process the pics!

And, yeah... the acrylic is very free'ing in it's nature, I am learning a ton! Never used this much of the stuff.... :)

More in a few!

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
not a huge update.... but a neat one none the less!
The CPU *should* now have a goood, effective white halo effect due to the addition of this little bit of LED'ness... ;)

cpu_bracket_light.jpg

I bought several of these ridgid strips of LED's, and they can be cut into groups of 3, and have holes for soldering your own custom wiring into them.

So, I cut 2 of then out, cut a bit of wire out and soldered it into place, and used double stick tape to mount to the bottom of the CPU water block bracket. The supply line will be disguised, but am not sure yet how.....

:)

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Quick work tonight, following up on the pre-fab'd LED strips from last night, I incorporated 2 strips of flat top white/90 degree strips to fill up the shroud's dark area on the other side of the water block (opposite of the fan).

I was using a small power source to run the fans and lights, just to make sure everything was still working after install...

lit_up1.jpg

lit_up2.jpg

lit_up3.jpg

Yummy! ;)

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
deuce_window2a.jpg

deuce_window.jpg

I'm letting the clear set on the other pieces (top and other side)

And am madly soldering some LED's for accents. Once I get those in place, the clear should be dry enough for me to finish up the res brackets (that requires sanding and I dont want any more boogers in the clear.... friggen bugs... ), get the res brackets in their final place and I can start placing the tubing. I have two different ways that I have mapped out.

I also need to finish mounting the top res and stuff.... once the roof piece dries a bit more, I can get the acrylics mounted and in place to finalize the tubing!
YAY!!!

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Ok, so I start out with the bestest of intentions of having Seuce ready for it's debutant's ball @ Quakecon2008... so, I started working hard to make that happen... after the fact I have realized that this goal was *wayyyy* too optomistic... but hey... you aim high! ;)

SO... I start filling the machine with equipment to start getting my tubes laid out and routed.

qc_push1.jpg

qc_push2.jpg

WHat is a computer without a good PSU... and folks, Tagan steps up yet again and hammers out a home run with their STELLAR BZ900 modular PSU.... check this baby out!
All the expansion cables are kept in a service bag, that has a screw driver for those PSU screws.... there is more, but yo uwill have to read the review that will come out after I wrap up this mod. Let's just say Tagan has a great. detailed, customer centric presentation that happens right out of the box. It is a stellar unit that veels good and sturdy. I am looking forward to using it!
qc_push3.jpg

qc_push4.jpg

qc_push5.jpg

On the Saturday morning of QC, my wife wakes up to find her husband *still* spinning around the kitchen (yes, I took over hte kitchen, as it was just too hot to work in the garage). I had been working none stop.... and I think it was starting to show.

Center island has the top of the case with the window bent and attached. the Rad is attached, and the 2 hoses poking through there are to the rad...
qc_push6.jpg

I am so surprised that I was still so full of energy. I did not feel tired. Truly inspiring and wierd at the same moment.
qc_push7.jpg

That is Sophie... and she thinks, "Daddy haz leuzed his marblez..."
qc_push8.jpg

Me looking at the completed buildout of hte lower section, sans the roof and radiator...
qc_push9.jpg

I built a power bus bar to be used to hook up the 6 LED's that I had setup on the 5v supply side, as well as the 2 12v pumps sources. I simply took all the lines togheter and tied them into a common spade bit and attached them to a strip on this bus bar. I then built a standard female molex and tied the 12v - G - G- 5v into their corresponding bus bar terminal. I must say, this turned out to be a Godsend of work, as it allowed me to hook up an external PSU and run the pumps without firing up the unit running the motherboard. 1 plug for both the pumps and the corresponding LED work... sahwheet!
qc_push10.jpg

Full the reservoirs, and preparing to turn on the pumpz for a leak check... no wait... I dont eve nhave to turn on the pumps! I came back to the computer after loading the water (30 minutes, as I stepped away for a bit to eat...) and ZOMG! I'm missing water! WTF?!?!? Both res's were half full... uhm the loop on the right haz sum 'splaining to do!
qc_push11.jpg

Not a good pic, but I was grabbing the paper towels at this point....
qc_push12.jpg

qc_push13.jpg

I had 2 confirmed leaks. 1 off of the lower video card (cuz the water kept pouring out in lurches after collecting in the acrylic of the fan shroud!) and the other off of the pump intake.

It was here.... that I threw up my hands, stepped back, and went to QC without my rig.

Also, not pictured here was the fact that my top acrylic that my rad was attached to, cracked. I thought that I had caught all of the potential pain points, and had taked corrective actions to relieve the stresses.... apparently I missed one, because t fractured into the top window acrylics. I'll have to pull the top back off again and rebuild the window. I will likely have to contact Thermaltake to see if htey have nay spare tops laying around that I can buy off of them, because if I dont redesign this top window, I'm just going to be continually breaking and over stressing the acrylics.

what a freakin bummer.... but you dont learn without breaking a few eggs! Unfortunately, this was a rather unique egg that I had cur and etched with a laser.... &@)$&#()$*!!!!

So. I move into post quakecon mode... after taking a break and coming out to QC and hanging with the awesomness that are the Austin Modders, I return home refreshed and more relaxed.

Next up... the results of sleep and a bit more time to think about stuff....

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
So...I started working on this now, and put my head in a "post Quakecon" mode... making damn sure that this thing would be ready for the Republic of Gamers convention happening here in Dallas this next weekend. Already have my ticket, already have my hotel room... and this time, I'm going to game and have fun! ;)

First things first.... these drives have too much bulk on the power cables... see how they roler coaster all over the place? Well... that had to go....
post_qc_push1.jpg

post_qc_push2.jpg

post_qc_push3.jpg

Ahhhhh! Much better!!!

My MAZE5 had a leak, under the fitting with the little nick behind it. (Staring down at the top, the nozzle on the right). I took it out, and I'll be darned if the thing did not have an O ring seal in it!!! I pulled one off of another in the garage, and it has sealed itself up nice and tight!
post_qc_push4.jpg

After all of my leak checks, this is what I have been left with.... yummy!!!
post_qc_push5.jpg

post_qc_push6.jpg

post_qc_push7.jpg

post_qc_push8.jpg

post_qc_push9.jpg

post_qc_push10.jpg

post_qc_push11.jpg

The cards are now sporting Tweakmonster BGA ram sinks, they were chromed, and seem to fit the auto motif the best of all of the sinks that I had found! I adhered them with Arctic Alumina Thermal adhesive. I used a bit more alumina in the mix to make the epoxy a bit more diluted... should I want to pull them off.
post_qc_push12.jpg

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Wow, I missed a lot of updates here. Am I blind, or did I miss how you did that cool blue flame paint-job on the chassis door? It looks sharp as hell.

Nice hack-job on the PSU as well, haha. You really do seem to have patience, that's for sure!

It's too bad the acrylic hassle you went through though... I guess it's to be expected from a project of this magnitude, but still sucks regardless.

That all aside, it's good to see things are going well now, and I have to say, those GPU RAM sinks are AWESOME... best I've ever seen, hands-down. They will really help add some more charm to the rig.

I am asking too late I 'm sure, but will this be making an appearance at RoG?

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Wow, I missed a lot of updates here. Am I blind, or did I miss how you did that cool blue flame paint-job on the chassis door? It looks sharp as hell.

Nice hack-job on the PSU as well, haha. You really do seem to have patience, that's for sure!

It's too bad the acrylic hassle you went through though... I guess it's to be expected from a project of this magnitude, but still sucks regardless.

That all aside, it's good to see things are going well now, and I have to say, those GPU RAM sinks are AWESOME... best I've ever seen, hands-down. They will really help add some more charm to the rig.

I am asking too late I 'm sure, but will this be making an appearance at RoG?

Thanks Rob!

Unless something catastrophic happens, it will be there. I'm going to put the acrylic shrouds back on the video cards tonight, now that I know the leaks are gone. I will likely have to alter their flame a bit on the front side to get the shrouds to mount without disconnecting all the tubes.

As of last night, I have both of the side panels on (not fully buffed, but they'll do until I get them fully clear coated and polished). I have the video card shrouds to put on, and the top rad cover to get in place.

My mobo is on the way out of this reality, both of my onboard NIC's cratered, and I cannot get into the BIOS to disable them. So, I Have to go out and get a USB/RJ45 network adaptor in order to game @ ROGCon. hehehh WHEE!!!!

I'll also be reloading all of my games (or at least the ones I am going to play) at the con. I'm hoping to get most of the game software loaded up tonight (had to reload my OS)...

but, I am saying this with 99% certainty... Deuce will be there. I've still got more work to do to it, regarding the painting of the keyboard and mouse, and after I get the surface nice and smooth, I have my pin striping to get done, and my flame work to airbrush on to the front "shilds" (those will not be on for the event).

-=TD