Nice PC at Futureshop!

Kayden

Tech Monkey
I don't think it is a bad price to be honest. The only problem I see with it is that it's sold out and it's 2600 so you wont be able to overclock it much, if you wanted to go that direction. How much is it for you after shipping and extended warranty if your going for that?

Last edited:

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
With taxes, I'd have to pay about $1241. Not that big on overclocking, so the 2600 is not a problem. I just saw this online, and I thought it was pretty cool. Especially for Future Shop. Last time I went in there they tried to sell me a laptop with a 4000 series amd card, telling me it was top of the line for gaming. :eek:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I'm not big on Futureshop's pre-built systems because they tend to use proprietary motherboards, many of which aren't worth the circuit board they are printed on. I've seen too many of them go *POP* to put any trust in them.

That is one hell of a deal though.

***EDIT: Sorry. Too much sun today I guess. I thought it was an Acer. HP motherboards tend to be freakishly tough.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
I'm not big on Futureshop's pre-built systems because they tend to use proprietary motherboards, many of which aren't worth the circuit board they are printed on. I've seen too many of them go *POP* to put any trust in them.

That is one hell of a deal though.

***EDIT: Sorry. Too much sun today I guess. I thought it was an Acer. HP motherboards tend to be freakishly tough.

TBH I dislike anything pre-built but you can't really beat that price point, unless you build it yourself then you run the hassle of all of the crap that goes with it.

Your right about Acer though and Comcrap err Compaq they are total waist of money. HP are defiantly the most reliable venders out there right now.

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
I've been wanting to build my own for a while. Hopefully I will soon. By the way, when's that Thermaltake chassis contest over?:p

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
No... No no no no no. Don't botther. The heatsink will keep it at about mid to upper 80C more than likely. The components are probably subpar an may fail. The PSU is likely junk as well. Build your own, you probably could for that price.

EDIT: WTF? 10gb of ram?? That is not standard at all and will slow it down for sure.

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
No... No no no no no. Don't botther. The heatsink will keep it at about mid to upper 80C more than likely. The components are probably subpar an may fail. The PSU is likely junk as well. Build your own, you probably could for that price.

EDIT: WTF? 10gb of ram?? That is not standard at all and will slow it down for sure.

I try to tell people this -- vendors stuff their PCs with cheap parts and jack up prices. But they won't listen.

How do you order your parts? The people I have to deal with are paranoid about knowing "who they're dealing with". And yeah, I have my own money and can order stuff if I want to, but I have to live with them and listen to them ramble. You know, women .... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I think that I've finally drilled it into the head of a co-worker that pre-built PCs are junk. It took about 6 months along with a crappy motherboard and memory kit but I think he finally believes me.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
That's like saying what do you need less to survive - food, water or air. All are critical over enough time.

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
Oh that's easy! Air is most critical (a minute without it, not counting surviving with brain damage), water (hours), food (days). :D

Anyway, a lot of people say Dell is the worst.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Buy this instead:

7-11-20114-10-26PM.png

Subtotal: $1,192.91

eunoia

Partition Master
I refuse to let anyone on a computer forum buy one from Future Shop. I'm warning you, I'm fairly passionate about this, and anyone who disagrees with me is an enemy.

Corsair TX650 V2 650W ATX 12V Single Rail 53A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80PLUS Bronze $84.99

Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced ATX Mid Tower Case Black 4X5.25 1X3.5EXT 6X3.5INT *No PSU* $99.99

NCIX Value Bundle Deal Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core CPU & MSI P67A-C43 DDR3 Motherboard $319.99 (-$10.00)
Free Ground Shipping for entire order! * (Up to 100 lbs)

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 AM3 LGA1366 LGA1155 LGA1156 120MM $25.64

Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte PC3-12800 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 1.5V Dual Channel Memory $70.91

Western Digital WD20EARS Caviar Green 2TB SATA2 3Gbps 64MB Cache 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM $77.99

XFX Radeon HD 6850 775MHZ 1GB 4.0GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI Display Port HDMI PCI-E Video Card $169.99 (-$25.00)

Total War - Shogun 2 - Electronic Digital Download Coupon *AMD Promo Only* $0.00

LG CH12LS28 12X Blu-Ray Reader & Lightscribe DVD Writer Combo Drive $76.54

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM $119.98

Logitech K200 Media Keyboard $21.99

Logitech B120 Corded Optical Mouse PS2 USB OEM - Includes Side to Side Scrolling Wheel $15.99

Memory Card Reader say, ~$20.00

$1104.18 or ~$1069.18 after rebates with a free game, no pricematching yet, but if you like, I will shop around so you can have it built, guaranteed and shipped under $1100.

eunoia

Partition Master
O.K. I'm still a bit upset about Future Shop even being mentioned here, but time for honest disclosure: With the configuration above, you're giving up some processing power at stock speeds and 2 GB of RAM.

I mention this because disclosure is important, it's all in what they don't tell you. For example if there are no specs on the PSU for the computer you posted, you may assume they use a 240W Clowny made by child labour in Burkina Faso with peak efficiency of 65%. Adding even a cold cathode to your rig will make it explode. "10 GB (Expandable To 16 GB)" is also technically correct, if you throw away whatever stupid combination of DIMMS they used and buy another 16GB.

Last edited:

eunoia

Partition Master
Had a look at the NCIX weekly sale and had this advice for someone on another message board (lost the links, but start here: http://www.ncix.com/promo/promosale.php?webid=MavisGrandOpening-ONLINE)

Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Unlocked Processor LGA1155 3.3GHZ Sandy Bridge 6MB $199.99

Free GROUND SHIPPING for this order!

G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory $59.99

Gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3 ATX LGA1155 Z68 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI SLI SATA3 USB3.0 Moth *IR-$20* $199.99 (-$20.00 MIR)

Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced ATX Mid Tower Case Black 4X5.25 1X3.5EXT 6X3.5INT *No PSU* $99.99

Corsair TX650 V2 650W ATX 12V Single Rail 53A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80PLUS Bronze $84.99

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM $89.98

Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E 2XDVI HDMI 2x Mini DisplayPort Video Card $199.99

Samsung SH-S243D/BEBE 24X Black DVD Writer SATA OEM $15.99

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 AM3 LGA1366 LGA1155 LGA1156 120MM $25.64

$976.55 (~$956.55 after mail-in rebate)

Price matching:

(Price matching with Direct Canada is automatically approved, it's their sister company)

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=25350DR0783&vpn=WD1002FAEX&manufacture=Western%20Digital%20WD $84.69 (saves $5.29)

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11130AC9811&vpn=RC-692-KKN2&manufacture=COOLERMASTER
$79.69 (saves $20.30)

saving $25.59 new price $950.96 (~930.96 after mail-in rebate)

If you add PC Assembly and Testing With 1 Year Limited NCIX System Warranty on the same page as the processor before adding to cart it comes to $41.09 for a total under $1000 built, guaranteed and shipped.

You can switch to the Blu-Ray and 2TB posted on page 1, add peripherals and card reader, then get ready to click a few buttons and join the 4Ghz club without breaking a sweat. You will also be able to add a second GPU (and a bunch of other stuff in the future) with this mobo if a 6950 isn't fast enough. :D

Last edited:

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
Thanks for helping out. I wasn't seriously considering buying that, though. ;) I just wanted to see what you guys thought. And I agree; Future Shop sucks.I was going to order some stuff through NewEgg and put something together a while back. But everyone ganged up on me and forced me to buy at Staples. I got an HP Envy 17, which is not too bad, excepting the overheating GPU. But hey, it doubles as a George Foreman grill!