Nice PC at Futureshop!

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Thanks for helping out. I wasn't seriously considering buying that, though. ;) I just wanted to see what you guys thought. And I agree; Future Shop sucks.I was going to order some stuff through NewEgg and put something together a while back. But everyone ganged up on me and forced me to buy at Staples. I got an HP Envy 17, which is not too bad, excepting the overheating GPU. But hey, it doubles as a George Foreman grill!

Good choice. I always prefer home built over prefab but if you don't have the time or want a warranty sometimes it's the better way to go.

To OJC's house for some Burgers since he has that new grill, I'll bring soda. (c;

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Check out what Future Shop's offering: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/hewlett-packard-hp-pavilion-intel-core-i7-2600-desktop-computer-h8-1022-h8-1022/10172478.aspx?path=4f3a99877b79c578452190c13753fa27en02

What do you think? My laptop cost more than this and it only has 6GB RAM, 1TB hard drive, Intel Q740 @ 1.73Ghz, and a Radeon 5850.

HP == Hide Paycheque.

Seriously, I serviced computers (and other office electronics) for a lot of years before retiring. Towards the end I actually made it company policy that "we do not service HP or Dell".

Yeah... they're that bad.

Last edited:

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
What brands are good, in your opinion? Besides HP, there's much else. Acer, but I don't like them much.

As a computer builder I'd have to throw in the the others who are suggesting that you start with a pile of boxes and do it right. In my experience that little bit of tender loving care you give a build makes all the difference.

If you're just after a general purpose computer for SOHO use, MDG is pretty good. They're big enough to give you a bargain but still small enough to give you personal service.

But these juggernaut companies, for the most part, lose contact with the humans their products affect and aren't really prone to caring much what happens beyond their own warehouse doors.