Jaw-Dropping: Google Lets Us Peer Into its Datacenters

Discussion in 'General Technology' started by Rob Williams, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Editor-in-Chief Staff Member Moderator

Jan 12, 2005
    Atlantic Canada
    Interested in being blown away? Good, Google's got you covered. The company has just launched a new website that let's us peer into its various datacenters, and as you might imagine, some of them are a sight to behold. Seriously - I was left speechless with a few pictures as the scale and intensity is simply hard to fathom. These datacenters are massive, complex, and have aesthetics perfectly-suited for the geek.

[​IMG]

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

2. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Tech Monkey

Apr 9, 2010
    Oh google.... Y u so ridiculous?

3. Optix

Optix Basket Chassis Staff Member

Dec 15, 2009
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Thanks for this, Rob. I would have completely missed it.

My jaw hit the floor looking at the backup infrastructure. I know that the one that we use at Q9 in Ontario is pretty beefy, but this is beyond anything they have.

4. Rob Williams

Jan 12, 2005
    Atlantic Canada
    I agree all-around. I normally don't use tech-stuff as a desktop wallpaper, but some of these were too good to ignore, haha. Seriously, some of them look like they were pulled from a Hollywood movie.

5. Glider

Glider Coastermaker

May 4, 2009
    Belgium
    A friend of mine works at Google Belgium as a techy... He has some fun stories ;-)

6. Rob Williams

Jan 12, 2005
    Atlantic Canada
    I can only imagine!

Also, I'd have to imagine that your basement looks much like the OP picture, Glider ;-)

7. Brett Thomas

Brett Thomas Senior Editor

Apr 10, 2009
    Some of these pictures have been tweaked in a rather substantial way... for example, shot 15 is mirrored horizontally...there are a few that are like that...

Google, y u photoshop so bad?!

8. madmat

madmat Soup Nazi

Jun 16, 2005
    No soup for you!
    The one where they mirrored the line of server racks could be something as simple as the racks being opposite a wall. I can't blame them for not wanting to show a wall or possibly the tangled wires from the rear of an adjacent line of servers. It's PR shots, might as well make it purdy.