Intel Z68 SSD Disk Caching Showdown

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
When we tested out Intel's 'Smart Response Technology' last month, we liked what we saw. But at $110 for a 20GB SLC SSD, we wondered if a larger, more cost-effective option could still make the best use of the technology. With that, we're pitting Kingston's SSDNow V+100 64GB drive, at $150, against Intel's, to see if we retain SRT's effectiveness.

After reading through Ryan's in-depth follow-up look at Intel's Smart Response Technology, discuss it here!

Relayer

E.M.I.
I'm confused. Is this showing the SSD making a difference in game frame rates? I can't read it any other way, but I've never heard of such a thing.

results_10.png

results_11.png

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Your guess is as good as mine, especially since the initial RST testing showed...

07.png

There should be no difference between the frame rates whether the HDD is accelerated or not so switching SSDs shouldn't make even the slightest difference.

During testing there were several results that simply did not make any sense so I'm not sure if it comes down to buggy software or poor implementation but I know my testing is sound. In any instance where the results didn't line up, the tests were run an additional 5 times after a cold reboot.

I was hoping for a more clear cut list of results but sadly that didn't happen. If anybody knows why these numbers are so screwy, feel free to post!

***EDIT: 1111!

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
That's really unusual... a SSD shouldn't boost FPS. It will let the game start much more quickly (so everyone can stop and wait at all the corporate logos) and will make levels load significantly faster, but not FPS. Unless the game is really paging the disk reading/writing, but games are deliberately designed not to do that so they can keep the FPS rates steady.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Exactly. I'm ready to chalk this up to being a young technology with some kinks to work out because I just don't have any explanation for some of the results.

Relayer

E.M.I.
I wonder if the manufacturers might be able to explain it? I'm pretty sure Kingston would want to remedy this.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I would think so as well but at least one question was answered - what drive will work best. It all depends on the work being done. Lots of small files = Intel/Larger files = Kingston.

GIGABYTE has launched a series of boards with Intel's 20GB 311 SSD built into it so disk caching comes all in one box.

Relayer

E.M.I.
Do you have benches with the same system without using the SSD cache function just run from a hard drive and/or SSD? I'd be curious what the FPS was in those situations. Is the storage system only affecting the FPS with the cache function? If so, is it being improved with one or the other, or is it being adversely affected by it?

Sorry for so many questions, but I find it extremely curious.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
The graph that I posted earlier is from the initial look at disk caching. It shows the FPS when using only the hard drive and then again with both acceleration modes enabled using the Intel 311 SSD. Based on these results, there should be -no- difference in the numbers using the Kingston drive since there is almost no difference.

You can ask Rob, I worked away on this article for over 2 weeks because of these wonky results and I'm not closer to understanding why the tests came out the way they did. This puppy should have been done in a week tops.

Relayer

E.M.I.
Thanks a lot for taking the time to fill me in. Sounds like the ball's in Kingston's court to see what the problem is.

Hopefully it's not because it doesn't say "Genuine Intel". ;)

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I plan to hopefully do that in the near future if time allows but I have three cases sitting beside me with more on the way and five CPU coolers to beat up on. They have to take priority but if I have time to revisit this, I surely will.

The main problem now is that the Z68 board is with Rob pending a review and the Kingston SSD is being used in another system. If the stars line up, I'll give it a crack because those numbers are still bugging me so I don't consider this to be a closed case.

In hindsight, it would have made sense to include those numbers as a way to isolate the root cause of the decrease in performance but at the time I didn't feel it was necessary since previous testing performed by others showed that RST simply couldn't match a stand alone SSD.

Last edited:

Psi*

Tech Monkey
Wondering ...

The video card used is PCIe 16 lane. Could it be reducing the available bandwidth or interacting with, the bandwidth available to the SSDs even tho the SSDs are SATA II?

I was just about to post a new thread wondering about a discrepancy that I am experiencing. I have 2 systems nearly identical; ASUS P6X58D Premium e/w 24 GB RAM, one with i7 920, one with an i7 990X. I just installed a SATA III SSD in each, Corsair force 3 60 GB. Both systems are OC-ed to >4.2 GHz & >4.4 GHz, respectively.

The SSD in the 920 system is ~30% slower than the SSD in the 990X. This is after examining all of the tweaks to be found on the net. I can say that with no programs running that there is 0 activity on the SSDs tho.

The 920 system also has a NVIDIA Tesla C2070 GPGPU, the 990X has a Radeon HD 5770. Both are also PCIe 16 lane, but the Tesla would obviously (I think:confused:) put a bigger load on the PCIe bus than the Radeon. This difference is the only thing that I can attribute the performance to. Next would be to start moving parts around so see what follows what if anything ... ugh! :(

This is new territory for me so I just thought I would put it out there for other thoughts.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
X58_blockdiagram.gif

I don't think that's the case seeing how 36 lanes are reserved for discrete GPUs even if they are not being used. Plus I believe that the SATA III capability is being handled by a separate add on chip.

Maybe Robert should weight in on this one.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The video card used is PCIe 16 lane. Could it be reducing the available bandwidth or interacting with, the bandwidth available to the SSDs even tho the SSDs are SATA II?
The SSD in the 920 system is ~30% slower than the SSD in the 990X. This is after examining all of the tweaks to be found on the net. I can say that with no programs running that there is 0 activity on the SSDs tho.

I'd double-check things like AHCI, the driver version, making sure the exact same port is used on each motherboard, checking the properties of the SSD in both machines to see if any of the information doesn't match up (including TRIM being enabled), et cetera.

On-board SATA solutions don't use the PCIe bus, but rather the internal chipset bus (DMI in Z68's case). If the GPU affects SSD performance, something else has to be at play.

I'll ping Robert, he would be the best person to ask.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
I don't think that's the case seeing how 36 lanes are reserved for discrete GPUs even if they are not being used. Plus I believe that the SATA III capability is being handled by a separate add on chip.

Nice graphic to work from ...
The PCIe spec is only up to 32 lanes. So I wonder if that is a typo & I don't think any more than 16 lanes are implemented given the size of our PCIe connectors. Very confusing.:confused:

Regardless, we are now using faster hardware than was conceived being available for the pedestrian user when the boards were made much less than when the chips were designed.

Again, I don't know, but am looking to stir up discussion. I am sure there are limitations to the architecture, just curious what they are and what they are not so I know whether it is me or "it" when it comes time to understanding why things are off.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Alright, lots to cover here.

But I already know I need to lose weight, I don't need to see the numbers on the scale again to know that! :(

I'll ping Robert, he would be the best person to ask.

Pong

The PCIe spec is only up to 32 lanes. So I wonder if that is a typo & I don't think any more than 16 lanes are implemented given the size of our PCIe connectors. Very confusing.

First off, you are mis-interpreting the graphic. :) The "36" lanes here is exactly that, 36 separate PCIe lanes. Remember PCIe is comprised of individual 1x lanes, they can be split, broken up, and allocated however the CPU/motherboard wish to do so.

In this specific instance, the P6X58D has 3x PCIe 2.0 x16 slots. They can be configured to run in x16/x8/x8 or x16/x16/x1 modes. The latter means 33 of the 36 available lanes have been used... there is one additional PCIe 1x port on the motherboard, so the total used is up to 34 lanes. At least one more is connected to the Marvell SATA 6Gbps controller, which leaves 1 PCIe lane out of the original 36 left. It may be used for another onboard peripheral, but you see the point I am making! What you are thinking of is that the PCIe spec allows for a 32x lane SLOT (something that's never been used, at least to date), but the graphic refers simply to the total number of 1x lanes available.

Frankly, there isn't any reason you should be seeing a performance difference if the motherboards are identical. I'd check everything Rob suggested, including BIOS versions, SSD firmware versions, specific ports you used (Such as if you used the Marvel port on one board, and the Intel port on the other without realizing it?), and BIOS settings. The Marvel ports have their own specific AHCI / firmware pass-through settings separate from the Intel ports, as well.

The PCIe lanes are guaranteed the bandwidth allocated, so even if a graphics card was maxing out its slot it shouldn't affect anything else that uses the PCIe bus. And the QPI bus has more than sufficient bandwidth to handle the graphics cards plus SATA ports plus chipset data. Although that reminds me of something else... because you overclocked the 920 you changed your QPI bus ratios. With the 990X, you might not have touched the QPI bus at all, since it is multiplier unlocked.

Both systems are OC-ed to >4.2 GHz & >4.4 GHz, respectively.

The SSD in the 920 system is ~30% slower than the SSD in the 990X.

If you've checked every single thing Rob and I mentioned and can't find a difference.... only then manually change the QPI bus on your 990X until it matches the QPI bus speed of the 920 system, then rerun the tests. It might be what you're seeing.

What is the test you are using to measure the disk performance? CPU speed does affect some program metrics... Some other things could be RAM settings. The Extreme processors have higher rated memory controllers in them. Based on personal experience running 12GB of RAM with three different Core i7 9xx processors, I can tell you only the 980X was capable of running tight memory settings. The system wouldn't even POST when I tried several of the same setting profiles with both the 920 and 930 I had.

So all of that said... if you checked everything we mentioned and still can't find the cause, I bet if you switched the processors on your two systems, you'd notice your results would switch with them... and that would tell you immediately it isn't the systems, but the processor / related settings with it.

Last edited:

Psi*

Tech Monkey
Thanks Kougar, in so many words it is possible to have 2 x16 & 1 x4 slots on the same board?

The SSD firmwares are not the latest as I saw on the Corsair web site that the firmware upgrade is not compatible with Marvell controllers. Of course on these m/bs the SATA III controllers are Marvell. So rather than possibly fight with that, I will switch the cables from the SATA III ports over to the SATA II ports & try the for the latest firmware update.

This afternoon the SSD on the 990X ceased existing. I had to make a cold restart for it to show up again; a warm reboot did not do the trick.

Back before I hijacked this thread, I guess it is probably not a BW issue between the SSD & the graphics card!!

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Thanks Kougar, in so many words it is possible to have 2 x16 & 1 x4 slots on the same board?

The number of PCIe lanes is only limited by the how many are available from the chipset and/or processor.

For years motherboards have offered additional PCIe 16x slots, but had them limited to x8 electrically or it was dependent upon which ports / BIOS settings were used. That isn't going to change any time soon and anyone planning to use multiple GPUs + other PCIe cards needs to be aware of it before choosing a mainboard.

The SSD firmwares are not the latest as I saw on the Corsair web site that the firmware upgrade is not compatible with Marvell controllers. Of course on these m/bs the SATA III controllers are Marvell. So rather than possibly fight with that, I will switch the cables from the SATA III ports over to the SATA II ports & try the for the latest firmware update.

This afternoon the SSD on the 990X ceased existing. I had to make a cold restart for it to show up again; a warm reboot did not do the trick.

Back before I hijacked this thread, I guess it is probably not a BW issue between the SSD & the graphics card!!

Yeah, I suggest not using Marvell's ports at all. I am hearing too many reports about odd, random issues like the one you just described. Intel's SATA 3Gb's ports will deliver better write performance anyway, amusingly enough...