The Tech Wizard
Out of the E8400 everywhere but tigerdirect for 229.00
I went ahead and ordered :confused:

I think maybe there is a price increase due to all the popularity
So I paid the extra 30.00 :eek:

Merlin

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
You paid a small premium, but it will be worth it ;-) Going to use the CoolIT on it?

Naaaaah.
This coolit is on the hot AMD 6000.
It needs the extra cooling

I figure the Zalman 9700LED that I took off of the AMD2, would take care of the 8400
Yes?
I saw a 10C to 12C difference from the two and the 8400 runs a lot cooler at 45nm.
I'll check it out when it's built.
And maybe later on, get another CoolIt, maybe the Ultra to get deep into OC'ing the 8400.

I'm not getting everything like I usually do, may take a few paydays to get everything.
And I'll post the results.

Merlin

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
You paid a small premium, but it will be worth it ;-) Going to use the CoolIT on it?

I've thought about that since you asked, I just might put the CoolIt on the E8400 just to see how far I can push it.
I get 25C now from a 125 watt CPU and the E8400 is 65 watts, almost half the wattage.
So, it may be interesting to see.

Shippment comes in Tues the 19th, maybe I have time that evening to swap out boards and set up.
Now tiger is out and the next available price is 259.99 for the e8400
Merlin

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
To be honest, unless the motherboard you are getting goes above 500FSB reliably, I wouldn't bother hooking up the CoolIT. As I mentioned in the review, I felt I could go higher, but the bottleneck was my FSB, which seemed to top out at around 470MHz. So even if you hook up the CoolIT, it might not help you any. Heat was the furthest thing from being my issue.

Now if this was a Quad-Core, it would be a different story. Those things get supremely hot.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
To be honest, unless the motherboard you are getting goes above 500FSB reliably, I wouldn't bother hooking up the CoolIT. As I mentioned in the review, I felt I could go higher, but the bottleneck was my FSB, which seemed to top out at around 470MHz. So even if you hook up the CoolIT, it might not help you any. Heat was the furthest thing from being my issue.

Now if this was a Quad-Core, it would be a different story. Those things get supremely hot.

It's the EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard, with a lot of good reviews.
Ordered from Newegg and scheduled for Tuesday delivery.
I have gone with Asus for a few years now, just decided the EVGA board fit what I wanted.

Merlin

U

Unregistered

Hey Rob, great review!!

there have been rumors saying that the e8400 cannot take voltages over its max vid value of 1.36v and still maintain a normal life span. Have u been running the proc at 4.32ghz at 1.43v 24/7 ? and was the proc u used in the review a retail version or an engineering sample?
thanks!!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hi there,

Overclocking in general lessens the lifespan of products supposedly, but I've never had a product die from overclocking in the past. I think you will be upgrading long before something dies from overclocking.

That said, no I haven't been running it at all since the review, and yes, it was a store bought sample, not an engineering sample.

R

Rod

I've ordered a new PC w/e8400. You got a stable 3.6G (I think that's what was in the article, without looking back) at stock voltages. Does that equate to being able to OC to that on the stock cooler? Wondering because here in N.Z. the Zalman sells for around $100.00 and I'm up against it budget wise and can't get one right now (I would've bought an e8500 if I had the extra money, actually. ;)).
I'll save up and get H2O down the road, but do you think it would be safe to run 400 FSB with the stock cooler in the meantime?

Thanks,
Rod

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
If your case has good air flow you might beable to run at those speeds, all depends on the temps that your getting where you live and the conditions where you keep your PC. Just slowly clock the system up and keep a close eye on your temps (idle and load), if they stay within a safe range with the stock cooler at the speed your looking for, you're good to go.

Remeber, every system performs differently under different conditions, watch your temp closely.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Given that the temps were not really the issue, I don't believe you will have too much of a problem. I don't install the Intel stock coolers because I find them incredibly aggravating to install :)

R

Rod

Thanks, guys. That's about what I figured. I know there's no guarantees, though.

Rod

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Rob, I guess this is one of those 500FSB situations you hinted at elsewhere... I am simply curious, did you lower the CPU multiplier to see if the FSB would budge higher? What was the RAM running at at that 470FSB overclock?

Given that the temps were not really the issue, I don't believe you will have too much of a problem. I don't install the Intel stock coolers because I find them incredibly aggravating to install :)

Ohh man I couldn't agree more. It took me roughly 45 mintues to get an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro installed that uses those same mounting pushclips. One of the darn clips would never lock properly, and it would always be a different one each time... only time I have ever had my processor/system shut itself down on me due to overheating.

Hey Rob, great review!!

there have been rumors saying that the e8400 cannot take voltages over its max vid value of 1.36v and still maintain a normal life span. Have u been running the proc at 4.32ghz at 1.43v 24/7 ? and was the proc u used in the review a retail version or an engineering sample?
thanks!!

Engineering Samples always have an "ES" denoted in the CPU-Z screenshot under "Specification".

Intel lists 1.36v as the max VID for 45nm chips. 65nm Core 2 Duos had their VID listed at 1.50v, which is a big difference. Not many users wanted to go beyond 1.5-1.55 volts and knew it was not healthy for the chip. Anything above this "max VID" voltages may reduce the lifespan or functionality (And likely will to a small degree, but as Rob said nothing you'd care about since it would be probably horribly obsolete by the time it died). Intel calls this the "functional limits" voltage.

There is a second voltage given in Intel PDF specifications that they call the absolute maximum, and according to them anything above this voltage is guaranteed to shorten the lifespan if not outright damage the CPU. For 65nm Core 2 Duo based processors this value was 1.55v. For 45nm processors it is now listed as 1.45v. There have been reports or some users killing their 45nm chips around 1.45-1.5v, so it is a good idea to stay below 1.45v... Again because the VID is 1.36v for 45nm chips, anything up to 1.36v is fine (and keeps your CPU warranty valid too).

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Rob, I guess this is one of those 500FSB situations you hinted at elsewhere... I am simply curious, did you lower the CPU multiplier to see if the FSB would budge higher? What was the RAM running at at that 470FSB overclock?

Nah... I take all of that into consideration. I have dropped down to a 6x multiplier and still can't hit 500FSB on any of the processors I test. I am going to install an X48 board tonight, so I'll see where that goes.

Ohh man I couldn't agree more. It took me roughly 45 mintues to get an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro installed that uses those same mounting pushclips. One of the darn clips would never lock properly, and it would always be a different one each time... only time I have ever had my processor/system shut itself down on me due to overheating.

Yup... the first time I installed such a cooler was also the last time. By the end of it, my fingers hurt quite a bit... and I found it FAR too difficult to tell if the clips were even in properly. The only way you could find out easily enough is by powering the beast on and checking the temps.

Good explanation on the VIDs.. it's good knowledge to remember.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
400 FSB

I'm still trying to get it at 400 FSB.
Most I have been able to get is 378
There's some setting somewhere I'm not thinking of.
When it boots, it goes into a reset mode at startup and tells me to reset the CMOS settings
I'm at work on the notebook right now.
Merlin:techgage:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
This is the eVGA 780i you are referring to? It should be a board to hit 500FSB rather easy (from what I gather). The FSB rides on the Northbridge voltage, so make sure you are increasing it there. I believe 1.25v is stock for the 780i NB, so bumping it up to 1.4v might be a good idea.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
1.35-1.4 should take it to 400 real easy, at least I would think. With my old 680i board same basic chip set (minus the PCI-e2 bridge) I was running 400 FSB at 1.3 and 450 FSB at 1.35, so the 780 should be around there as well seeing as they are just hand picked chip sets.