Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz - Wolfdale Arrives

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Intel's 45nm Dual-Cores have finally arrived, so it's only fitting that we take one for a spin. Our test subject is the 3.0GHz E8400, offering 6MB cache, SSE4 and more. Overclocking is impressive, with 3.8GHz stable being possible without even raising the voltage! This chip definitely proves itself a winner.

You can read the full review here and discuss it here.

THUMPer

Coastermaker
I have an Asus P5B Deluxe. Asus is stating this CPU will work, but the 8400 stock voltage is so low, I would have to run an over clock. I am not sure how low the voltage on my board even goes. I guess I should of checked that first before posting, but I am work.

U

Unregistered

Two 2.66ghz cpu's?

Must be a typo or mistake by intel, according to your chart the 8190 and the 8200 have identical specs and speeds. Just seemed odd.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I have an Asus P5B Deluxe. Asus is stating this CPU will work, but the 8400 stock voltage is so low, I would have to run an over clock. I am not sure how low the voltage on my board even goes. I guess I should of checked that first before posting, but I am work.

I doubt that's much to worry about. The voltage on that board wouldn't be higher than 1.2v, and that is the stock voltage. It could run with less, but it won't hurt anything to run it with 1.35v or less.

Must be a typo or mistake by intel, according to your chart the 8190 and the 8200 have identical specs and speeds. Just seemed odd.

The 8190 doesn't support virtualization or Intel TXT (trusted execution technology). That's the reason there are two different models with the same price point/specs.

K

Krisia2006

I just upgrade to this E8400, ASUS P5K SE and a 8800GT.
Only upped cpu to 3.3GHz and all I can say is SMOOTH...

U

Unregistered

Why not test is against a e6850? Same clock speed, same fsb. We get a real comparison of new vs old.

louie101086

Obliviot
if you really wanted to compare i think you should have put the overclocked e8400 against a overclocked 3.6ghz q6600 because that is the question many havent seen a true answer from you should be first to do it

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
if you really wanted to compare i think you should have put the overclocked e8400 against a overclocked 3.6ghz q6600 because that is the question many havent seen a true answer from you should be first to do it

Hmm... I don't get it. How is a 3.6GHz Quad-Core comparable to a 3.0GHz E8400? I think simple math would explain the differences that would be seen. That said, I don't have a G0 revision Q6600 and it would never hit 3.6GHz stable in its wildest dreams.

louie101086

Obliviot
that is where u are wrong i have one q6600 g0 @ 1.4v 3.6ghz perfectly stable and load temps are all around 55c and i would like to see how it goes against a overclock e8400 @ 4.3ghz(or whatever oc you got)

ps. ive seen some(not all) oc q6600 to 4ghz on water

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That comparison still doesn't make any sense... except for you. And my Q6600 does not go that high... it is lucky to get 3.0GHz stable. Newer Q6600's clock higher, mine doesn't.

louie101086

Obliviot
i was only asking you to compare them because maybe there are people out there who would like to know which one is worth the money xbitlabs.com once did a review with the e6850 vs q6600 g0 so i thought maybe you would like to be first to do my test since you have the resources(e8400) and i dont. you should do the review because maybe people would like a cpu that consumes less energy and runs cooler while being close to performance of a quad if not better in some areas

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
i was only asking you to compare them because maybe there are people out there who would like to know which one is worth the money xbitlabs.com once did a review with the e6850 vs q6600 g0 so i thought maybe you would like to be first to do my test since you have the resources(e8400) and i dont. you should do the review because maybe people would like a cpu that consumes less energy and runs cooler while being close to performance of a quad if not better in some areas

Yes, I realize, but the fact of the matter is, that's an odd comparison. I mentioned that the E8400 is able to overclock far enough to beat a Q6600 at stock speed, so obviously, a Q6600 that's overclocked will beat the E8400.

Simple math comes into play:

Q6600 = 2.4GHz * 4 = 9.6GHz
E8400 = 4.2GHz * 2 = 8.4GHz

And a Q6600 that's overclocked to 3.6GHz would be 14.4GHz total. So, for top-end speed, yes the Q6600 would kick the E8400's ass, but that still requires some heavy overclocking.

In the end, I'd purchase the E8400 and overclock it, given the 45nm benefits and temperatures. If I didn't want to overclock a chip so far, I'd stick with the Q6600 and just clock it to 3.0GHz, which still beats out a severely overclocked E8400.

I think the best idea for anyone right now is to just wait until Intel releases their desktop 45nm Quad-Cores, sometime this quarter.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
YEah, I keep waiting for what I think I want, then word comes out something else is coming, then I end up not getting anything...lol
Typical, huh?
Anyway, the next system will be Intel 45 nm at any rate, and the DDR3 systems are looking a lot better.
I guess the main market is for the masses, Like Dell, Compaq and the others.....but when the regular guy goes to buy a computer, they only go by advertising and price.

Merlin

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's hard to go wrong with Intel's 45nm offerings... it just depends on what you want or need, dual or quad. I look forward to the Q9xxx CPUs coming out... those are going to be fun to play with - especially if they overclock like the dual core offerings at all.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
The best price so far is 189.00 on the 8400, but it seems everyone is out of stock...or has a 240.00 price tag

Merlin is still waiting