Has Blizzard sold its soul to the Devil Diablo!!

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Kayden, not to mention folks with monthly caps.

Defiantly a point I should have mentioned, they get screwed even more so, sadly.

Its the end of Single Player as we know it! :eek:

As for cheaters, that should be restricted to online characters, if i want to use a trainer to have some more fun, I dont want Blizzass getting in my way! :D

Agreed, you should be able to play a SP game any way you want, not the way they want you because then it's just a Multiplayer char and not Single, again.

Edit: Oh yeah if there are customers out there who would like to make their SP char accessible with Battle.net they SHOULD have made this optional, not mandatory. This way if you can have a true SP exp if you don't have internet or just want a char you can play at lan parties with no inet.

There are so many options available to them but they refuse to look at them because they want their way or the highway and that's just BS.

Last edited:

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Posted on another gaming website by the site's admin: :D

Silence, Obey Now! Don't Resist...

You can't play single-player games anymore. You must play multiplayer games all the time, you want to socialize, you want to play with others who also want to socialize. Games have always been about socializing. You want to be on Facebook forever, Diablo III will become as important to you as Facebook. You are not allowed to play single-player games. Single-player games never existed. It's all in your mind. Stop all this imagination at once! This is really inappropriate behavior on your part - talking nasty things about wonderful online gaming and achievements etc. You are no good for this society. I'm afraid I shall have to phone ASPES (the Anti-Single-Player-Elimination Squad). They are coming for you now. Resistance is futile. Don't worry, you will be back online and feeling great in no time. Don't resist, don't think differently. That's a sign of weakness. Together, we are stronger. Online multiplayer is the key to salvation.

-- The Voice of Reason

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
We are Blizzard. Surrender your money, time and all your personal property. Corporate accountability is irrelevant. Fairness is irrelevant. Your rights are irrelevant. YOU are irrelevant.

Glider

Coastermaker
Well if it is that big a problem (which I still highly doubt it is...), vote with your wallet...

Military have the capability to use webcams to "phone home" from the middle of the desert, surely they can do something low bandwith as playing a game, same goes for monthy caps.

As for the death of SP games, maybe D3 wasn't supposed to be SP? There are plenty of games out there that are "online only", some even charge monthly fees...

I also do love the: "I bought it, I can use it how I want" toughts... After DRM and all that crap people would know better...

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Well if it is that big a problem (which I still highly doubt it is...), vote with your wallet...

Military have the capability to use webcams to "phone home" from the middle of the desert, surely they can do something low bandwith as playing a game, same goes for monthy caps.

Trust me I plan on it by not paying for that pos game.

The comment about phone home and bandwidth is where you fail to see the problem with a person who is deployed in forward location. The problem is that the inet is only provided to a forward location by the Government, thus no personal inet is available, those video calls to home are done on that same network and has to be pre-approved before any calls are made. Also any one caught not using the inet for it's intended purpose, ie Military content only can get an article 15 along with a dishonorable discharge for dereliction of duty and failing to follow standing orders so no, no one in their right mind will try to play a game on their network when they can face those kind of charges.

marfig

No ROM battery

The problem with that is, should I lose out on this game?

The "vote with your wallet" argument is not a replacement for the need many of us feel to complain about a decision that is entirely gratuitous from where we stand as players. There's no reason why a SP mode has to be always online on a game like Diablo. Blizzard may bring all kind of justifications to the table, but they never reflect this simple fact.

I'm still very undecided what I will be doing with my wallet on this one. However, one thing is for sure, Glider: I vote with my mouth too. As many others do. If you want, our countries histories weren't built on silent protests. People actually voice their opinions. Companies actions aren't no different. We have the right to protest and influence political decisions. Why shouldn't we about commercial ones?

It's no doubt true that the most powerful decision is not to buy the game. But we know how that turns out. For every one doing it, there will be 10 who won't. And they may do it for entirely legitimate reasons, despite hating the decision. This is a business industry, here. It's quite legitimate to complain about a commercial decision but still not wanting to miss out on something that we know may still hold enough points of interest for us. Since when purchasing a product has been a tacit approval of every decision every made into producing it?

So the "vote with your wallet" is that type of inconsequential truth that serves only to mask the problem and deviate attentions from it and into a false accusation of hypocrisy. It's an actual straw man. As if we actually lead our lives buy purchasing things we were only 100% happy with... We don't.

As for the death of SP games, maybe D3 wasn't supposed to be SP? There are plenty of games out there that are "online only", some even charge monthly fees...

Now, it's a red herring. Let me get something straight to you here, because you don't seem to understand...

Should Blizzard maintain this decision and I decide to buy this game, it's a given fact there will be times when I will be barred from playing the game when I wish to. And this in single-player mode.

Can you understand that simple concept? It's not just your bubble. I have my own bubble too. And yours is just as weak as mine. It just so happens not on this particular issue. But if some commercial decision comes to haunt you, while having no effect on me, how will you like it if I come to you and ridicule your complaining?

The world is a better place with empathy, Glider. And not with the kind of disappointing detachment to the fellow human being you seem to display. I certainly appreciate the "I don't care much about it because it won't affect me". It's genuine and well understood. But what should trouble you is your total detachment and lack of comprehension of how this may affect others.

I don't expect you to hold our banner, for sure. But to see you gratuitously diminishing it... I'm taking notes.

Last edited:

Glider

Coastermaker
The problem with that is, should I lose out on this game?

There is no game that you cannot "lose out on". If you think you can't, you are a prime example of sheep mentality.

The "vote with your wallet" argument is not a replacement for the need many of us feel to complain about a decision that is entirely gratuitous from where we stand as players. There's no reason why a SP mode has to be always online on a game like Diablo. Blizzard may bring all kind of justifications to the table, but they never reflect this simple fact.

I'm still very undecided what I will be doing with my wallet on this one. However, one thing is for sure, Glider: I vote with my mouth too. As many others do. If you want, our countries histories weren't built on silent protests. People actually voice their opinions. Companies actions aren't no different. We have the right to protest and influence political decisions. Why shouldn't we about commercial ones?

It's no doubt true that the most powerful decision is not to buy the game. But we know how that turns out. For every one doing it, there will be 10 who won't. And they may do it for entirely legitimate reasons, despite hating the decision. This is a business industry, here. It's quite legitimate to complain about a commercial decision but still not wanting to miss out on something that we know may still hold enough points of interest for us. Since when purchasing a product has been a tacit approval of every decision every made into producing it?

So the "vote with your wallet" is that type of inconsequential truth that serves only to mask the problem and deviate attentions from it and into a false accusation of hypocrisy. It's an actual straw man. As if we actually lead our lives buy purchasing things we were only 100% happy with... We don't.

Maybe everyone should get off their high horses? It IS a freaking game... Just because some people on a forum complain about it, isn't going to make Blizzard change its strategy. The only thing that can persuade a company is hard cash facts, and even then, it won't hurt them at all, probably...

I am not masking the truth, on the contrary, I seem to be the only one that is looking at it from a buisness perspective. Blizzard wants control over what happens with their intellectual property, which is their own good right. You are thinking the OSS way, my software, I do with it as I please. But unfortunately lots of softwares are closed source, so you don't have that freedom... The only freedom you have in there is, either not to use it, or use it as the developer has planned for it. I fully understand that a company, which has wages to pay and infrastructure to maintain, takes drastic measures to ensure that their product isn't stolen or used in an (for their views) inappropriate way.

If you want a game with lots of mods and player added things, good for you... There are plenty games that offer you that. This one just doesn't.

Now, it's a red herring. Let me get something straight to you here, because you don't seem to understand...

Should Blizzard maintain this decision and I decide to buy this game, it's a given fact there will be times when I will be barred from playing the game when I wish to. And this in single-player mode.

Can you understand that simple concept? It's not just your bubble. I have my own bubble too. And yours is just as weak as mine. It just so happens not on this particular issue. But if some commercial decision comes to haunt you, while having no effect on me, how will you like it if I come to you and ridicule your complaining?

The world is a better place with empathy, Glider. And not with the kind of disappointing detachment to the fellow human being you seem to display. I certainly appreciate the "I don't care much about it because it won't affect me". It's genuine and well understood. But what should trouble you is your total detachment and lack of comprehension of how this may affect others.

I don't expect you to hold our banner, for sure. But to see you gratuitously diminishing it... I'm taking notes.

Well, sorry to burst your bubble then, but you should open your eyes and look how many millions game producers miss by all the illegal software, millions that are mainly lost in single player mode. Those millions serve to pay costs, development is a huge cost for instance... You seem to completely miss the reason for measures like this. You think any company wants to invest in development and infrastructure to do stuff like this? You think all the development time that went into this is just because "Blizzard wants to mess with their customers"? I'm sure any company would rather invest that time and money into their core buisness, but yet they see that they lose a lot of revenue, which a company is all about, to illegal use of their software. So they take measures like these. Don't complain to me for defending that, complain to all those idiots that play illegal games and mess things up for everyone else. Because of these idiots, companies have to enforce things like this.

Also, if you actually read what will be on the box of the game you buy, you'll most likely see that an internet connection will be required to play the game. If you don't have one, you don't meet the minimum requirements, thus cannot play. When you purchased your game, you knew the requirements, you bought it, thus agreed with them. I can name hundreds of games I cannot play, because there is no Linux support for them, do you hear me complaining about it? No, I just grin, shake my head and not buy the game, I vote with my wallet...

Maybe I have a first hand addition to your notes. I have played D1 and D2 (and all the expansions) for years, since the first day all came out, on a more then dayly base even. A couple of months ago I moved homes and I decided to install D2: LoD again just for fun. The entire battle.net server was infested with duped items and annoying advertisement bots for their shops with "super unique items", and this was on the ladder! If that is your definition of "freedom to do as you please" with your game, I just find your definition wrong and annoying. If ANY game producer can get rid of those annoyences, bring it on! I've also been anticipating D3 ever since first word about it was spread on battle.net in LoD version 1.07 or so... 6 years later I still think about buying this game (and installing Windows again to play it) when it comes. So it does affect me.

[sarcasm]So thanks for the character analysis about me, it changed my day and enlightened me. But my lack of comprehension and empathy still fails to make me care about what any fellow human being thinks about me, but maybe you should put in your notes a little side note that I am holding no banner, I just see justified reasons for Blizzard to do things like this, like, keep their business going and not sacking their employees. How many bubbles would burst in that case?[/sarcasm]

But if you want to turn this into a discussion about who I am, please PM me, before you jump to wrong conclusions again...

marfig

No ROM battery
There is no game that you cannot "lose out on". If you think you can't, you are a prime example of sheep mentality.

Of course. Video games are to be celebrated... but not. Someone complaining about something is always a hopeless freak, too weak to detach themselves from the thing he's complaining about. Whereas someone celebrating a game or choosing not to complain about it shows no sign of being a slave to it. I've seen that reasoning before... Keep at it.

>> Maybe everyone should get off their high horses? It IS a freaking game...

And maybe you should realize that no one here thinks this or any other game is larger than life, just because they chose to discuss it in a bad light. It IS a freaking game. But then what's your point? We shouldn't discuss it? Or maybe we should only discuss the good things. That way we don't show any of the sheep mentality of anyone who actually wastes their time complaining about a bad decision. Right?

>> I am not masking the truth, on the contrary, I seem to be the only one that is looking at it from a buisness perspective. Blizzard wants control over what happens with their intellectual property, which is their own good right.

Reminds me of a parable between the father and the son. The son is a rebel, misbehaving constantly. Every time the father grounds him, he complains that his father should know better. He's young, he's supposed to behave like that. It's part of his brain development. He's at the age of rebellion. The father finally calmly explains to him he's right. But he is the father and it is his task to curb down his behavior. It's been like this for generations and he should accept that while a son task is to be rebel, a father task is not to let him.

These are called conflicts of interests. They exist all around you. When interests conflict, we want to defend our own. Excuse me while I cater to mine.

But... if I do, does that mean I suffer from sheep mentality?

>> Don't complain to me for defending that, complain to all those idiots that play illegal games and mess things up for everyone else. Because of these idiots, companies have to enforce things like this.

Blizzard has officially announced this is not about DRM. Did you know? You have anything to say about that?

>> But if you want to turn this into a discussion about who I am, please PM me, before you jump to wrong conclusions again...

I don't care one bit about who you are. What was noted was your behavior on this matter. Don't expect to come here, ridicule and be judgmental about everyone who complained about this decision, and that behavior not being met in kind. Turn your implicit accusation on this quote towards yourself first. Why do you think this discussion dragged this long?

You just chose to not discuss the issue but instead the people complaining about the issue. Pray to your god you never catch yourself complaining about a game decision. You'll have a lot of explaining to do to yourself. You don't want to throw yourself with us sheep.

Last edited:

Glider

Coastermaker
And maybe you should realize that no one here thinks this or any other game is larger than life, just because they chose to discuss it in a bad light. It IS a freaking game. But then what's your point? We shouldn't discuss it? Or maybe we should only discuss the good things. That way we don't show any of the sheep mentality of anyone who actually wastes their time complaining about a bad decision. Right?
Discuss it all you want, but don't expect everyone to agree with your point of view.

These are called conflicts of interests. They exist all around you. When interests conflict, we want to defend our own. Excuse me while I cater to mine.
Oh, excuse me, mighty smiter, who was I to doubt your judgement on this path to take...

Blizzard has officially announced this is not about DRM. Did you know? You have anything to say about that?
Just like any big company would do, not to get the world on their backs for implementing DRM in their games. But you do know, that everything that a company officially releases on sensitive subjects is truth.

I don't care one bit about who you are. What was noted was your behavior on this matter. Don't expect to come here, ridicule and be judgmental about everyone who complained about this decision, and that behavior not being met in kind. Turn your implicit accusation on this quote towards yourself first. Why do you think this discussion dragged this long?
Then why all the personal advice? I accused nobody, unlike yourself.

You just chose to not discuss the issue but instead the people complaining about the issue. Pray to your god you never catch yourself complaining about a game decision. You'll have a lot of explaining to do to yourself. You don't want to throw yourself with us sheep.
Did I? Please point me to that in my first 2 posts? I was speaking in general, and expressing my opinion on the matter... I'm sorry that I don't share your opinion, sheesh... God has nothing to do with this, nor with my life.

You are much too "passionate" about this, and take everything way too personal. I'll be the bigger person on this one...

Yes marfig, you are right, who was I to doubt it... I will surely burn in hell for my ignorance...

(Yes, that was sarcasm, and the last I care to say about the subject...)

Brett Thomas

Senior Editor
< pulls out the "troll-free" fire extinguisher >

I just figured I'd say that though I don't really like Blizzard's decision, I'm bothered more by the "This isn't DRM!" concept. I can completely understand why the company wouldn't want to label it as such...but really?

It's a shame that they chose to discontinue support for mods, but the concept of the "always online" worries me more than anything because Ubisoft has already illustrated that this doesn't stop at "my" internet connection. Unfortunately, THEIR servers can (and will) go down, sometimes for days on end...whether it be because of poor implementation or some angry punks DoS-ing it.

When an MMO goes down for days due to a bad update or a server problem, there is a subscription model in place that can be used to reimburse gamers who are not able to play. Unfortunately, in this type of scenario, there is no way to reimburse the SP player - the price has been paid already. It's fine to say "blame the thieves/skript-kiddies/etc" - but in this case the seller introduced a caveat into the contract with the buyer that it was not able to guarantee the assurance of.

I don't argue a company's right to protect its games, and I don't think that this should be as bad as it is being made out to be (though it is a rather large disappointment). But this particular method is rife with exploits that will prevent legitimate users, while likely taking a few days at most for pirates to sidestep. When these things happen in any great level, it encourages more legal users to just crack it, further spinning the piracy wheel out of control (as companies count cracked copies as "stolen" even when legitimate users make use of them).

All in all, it's kind of a sad state of affairs that Blizzard felt such a drastic step was necessary. :(

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
my internet connection was down almost the entire sunday and i kinda wondered, 'what if I was in between something important in Diablo III?'. This really sux! I always looked upto Blizzard but now, I is very disappointed! :(

marfig

No ROM battery
Diablo III is going to suck, just like StarCraft II.

Diablo I and II pretty much defined a few good years of my gameplay history. Diablo III won't be Diablo II, that much seems obvious. It's being designed by a different Blizzard. But let's hope you are wrong.

As for Starcraft II I wouldn't know. That's one of those games that made it reeaaally easy for me to vote with my wallet. Which I gladly did by not purchasing it. Diablo III could become that type of game too. You know... when just very little in it becomes appealing enough for me to care about it.

One thing is for sure, if I come to actually buy it, Diablo III won't be a game I will buy at release day. I trust this company to produce high quality titles with few, if any, showstopping bugs. But I don't plan to reward it for its business model. This is no longer a company I trust to serve its interests without damaging mine.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
@Brett

Lets not forget when they include cracks from people who have all ready made them, when they do finally decide to patch it when the DRM fails, to me their supporting piracy by doing that because they are copying some one else's work. I agree they should protect their property but it's just stupid to think there doing any good with this, but of course there is no arguing with crazy.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Okay, so my inet was out for the past 5 days and if I wanted to play this game for SP I would have been screwed. I know this thread has been dead for a little while now but honestly, this was one of those times requiring inet would have effected me directly, and in a way it did. I wanted to play GTA4 but for some unknown reason it wanted to authenticate again, yes I went on to play something else but my point is that the game forgot even that! Finding ways to prevent pirating is commendable but things like that are reason why it's not needed.