Cooler Master R4 Fans!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
They look great to me. Pretty good CFM with really low noise plus they look pretty good too. Go for it.

x.clay

Obliviot
I have a couple of the blue LED version of these fans in my case. They are a bit loud at full speed but they respond very well to using a fan controller. One of the 3 I ordered makes a small clicking noise but the noise only shows up at full speed.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
The Scythe Kaze Q is a small (3.5), cheap, well made 4 channel controller and I am sure you could run the 5th fan off of your motherboard. It may be an option and it would look right at home in a 590. You could even stealth it pretty easily.

It is going to be my weapon of choise in keeping 3 120mm Scythe Slip Stream fans quiet.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
The Scythe Kaze Q is a small (3.5), cheap, well made 4 channel controller and I am sure you could run the 5th fan off of your motherboard. It may be an option and it would look right at home in a 590. You could even stealth it pretty easily.

It is going to be my weapon of choise in keeping 3 120mm Scythe Slip Stream fans quiet.

hey good thinking! :D

CM R4 fans move a good amount of air without being overly loud. I recommend them.

Thanx man! will definitely order them! :D

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
2,000RPM is just a bit above the threshold I'd recommend for near silence... for a 120mm fan I'd look for 1,400-1,600RPM as the range, but everyone's hearing is a bit different (along with people's definition of what qualifies as silence!). However, these are sleeve bearing fans, so that will help somewhat.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Hey Kougar...you should sit beside a Tempest with all fans wide open.

What? What?

I can't wait to get my new gear so I can actually hear what people are saying in the other room.

You could check out the Scythe Slip Stream's as well, Doomsday. The ones I am going for seem to offer the best CFM at the lowest db - 65CM @ 24db. Tons of air at a pretty low noise level. They can be controlled as well.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
yyees! i have read bout Scythe Slipstreams, they seem very good though, but they be not LEDs! hmm... :)

and i have been wondering bout the noise with 5 R4's though, lol!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
5 of any fan that moves a signifigant amount of air is going to be loud...even some less efficient fans are still loud. If LED's are your main reason then the R4's should be perfect. Couple with fan controller, perfection!

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Give up on silent fans and get some delta's :p, then all your CFM problems will be out the window.... probably literary. They can be fan controlled..... if you have a 30 Watt controller per channel.

Delta TFB1212GHE
Specifications: 120x120x38mm
220.01 CFM @ 4600 RPM,
65.0 dBA, 29.40 watts, 2.45 amps,
Maximum Air Pressure 26.44 mm H2O

Yup, 220CFM at just a mere 65dBA...... Maybe not.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Give up on silent fans and get some delta's :p, then all your CFM problems will be out the window.... probably literary. They can be fan controlled..... if you have a 30 Watt controller per channel.

Delta TFB1212GHE
220.01 CFM @ 4600 RPM,

:eek:omg!! lol, Hahaa! :D

i think i'll be sticking with the R4s, hehee! ;)

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member

Delta TFB1212GHE
220.01 CFM @ 4600 RPM,

I bought one off ebay just for the hell of it. Great fan... it sprints across any flat surface if not anchored (not a light fan, either), and has enough CFM to power most model aircraft (assuming you could find a large enough battery to power it). The noise is indeed deafening. It will instantly upgrade any room into a server room. :rolleyes:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I had a 60mm Delta and it scared the hell out of me. When I fired it up there was so much torque it almost jumped out of my hand. One time I made the mistake of getting a knuckle too close to it. NEEEEER! Bye, bye skin. Hello blood.

The BIOS showed it topping out at 5,200 RPM.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
I had a 60mm Delta and it scared the hell out of me. When I fired it up there was so much torque it almost jumped out of my hand. One time I made the mistake of getting a knuckle too close to it. NEEEEER! Bye, bye skin. Hello blood.

The BIOS showed it topping out at 5,200 RPM.
:eek:

Ouch!! :eek:

Just ordered 4 of the blue R4's this weekend, I'll let you know what I think of them! ;)

Awesome! :D

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
I got a couple of the fans for my new/old Cpu cooler, it was NIB but was a couple years old. These fans are great, it sure seems like they are quieter than the 92mm fan I had in there, there at 1923/1950 RPM and I got my 2 for $10. Microcenter was having a sale, one was brand new other was open box, $4 for the open one. But all in all so far gotta say decent fans, pain to get on but may have had to do with the coolers odd mountings. Oh and my fans are the no LED versions.