Borderlands 2 revisited

madmat

Soup Nazi
Okay, I know I ruffled a few feathers when I lambasted BL2 for its flaws. I still don't like certain aspects of the game mechanics involving guns and ammo but that's neither here nor there. I've been playing it the last few days because after dumping damn near 800 hours into Skyrim, I've killed everything in the game that respawns over time at least 4 times in the main game and on Solstheim at least 3 times. I even made it through Falskaar in 15 or so hours. So, yeah, it's time to move on to bigger and better things, greener pastures as it were.

Anyway, I'm liking the action but I don't understand the implementation of the save game mechanics. It tells you it's saving the game but it only sorta is. You hang onto all the goodies you had and the progress you made but the world around you doesn't reflect on it. Die in a certain zone and that zone remains as it was when you perished but every other enemy on the map outside that zone respawns. But wait, some stay gone. Example: Bullymogs near Liarsberg, still defeated. Wander out onto the ice and all the freaks are there even though I've killed them off repeatedly.

I played last night and finally managed to beat Boom and Bewm. After that I made my way to Flynt and got my ass handed to me. Unfortunately, it was time to retire to my coffin (I'm a vampire by trade) so I wasn't able to attempt him a second time. Now I have respawning in Liarsberg to look forward to and I'm wondering if I have to mix it up with the cliche twins again.

Why couldn't they use a normal save game system? When you save, not only is your personal progress and inventory saved but your effect on the world is as well. The enemies are slain still and the paths you've cleared out stay that way for at least a few in-game days.

Yeah I know it seems that I must hate the game but I don't. I enjoy getting out in the world, it's very cool in the steampunk meets Marvel Comics style it pulls off (very well I must add) and I hate seeing such a beautiful and otherwise fun game turned into what seems like a chore rather than play.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
You can use the New-U stations to teleport to key locations once unlocked. These are typically at the entrance to a new zone, and each zone has at least one New-U station. Unfortunately, the next key location you unlock is AFTER you kill Flynt.

The good news is that you can just run past the twins, since you have already blown open the door. You can run past most mobs if you want, they do stop chasing you after a while.

Also, don't feel too bad about getting your ass handed to you - the game's difficulty is much higher than the first. Since you don't have your special ability amped up yet through levels, you have to kill the old-fashioned way. Also, your choice of character will make a huge difference as a first-time player. The commando is the easiest to play and get to grips with - just drop the turret in the thick of it and watch it kill everything. The assassin, conversely, is the most difficult to play, due to the way his abilities work (close range stuff).

Remember, this game is as much RPG as it is FPS, pick abilities and skills that suit your play style, just remember to spend the points when you can.

If you decide to mix it up with a 3 or 4-way coop, then the game becomes unbelievably difficult, which is part of the fun I guess.

As for mobs appearing - it's both timed and session based. If you kill everything in an area, die, then run back, most of them will still be dead. If you go to another area (switch maps) and then come back after a while, most of the mobs will have respawned (except bosses). Bosses respawn after you close the session (go to the main menu). Some mobs will respwn while you are running around too, but not to the same extent as to a fresh session. So avoid quitting if you can, otherwise all the mobs will respawn (as well as reset your location). If you just die, you can respawn at a checkpoint and carry on without too much fear of things respawning. And again, later on, you can teleport to locations once unlocked.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Yeah, there are many parts to Borderlands 2 where having a team with you would simplify things considerably. That said the first playthrough is still quite doable solo, you just can't rush headlong into everything and need to be prepared since there's nobody around to get ya back up. BD2 was actually geared more for group players as during the second playthrough some parts were extremely rough for solo play.

And as Tharic said, mobs are time based. I'm not sure if it's 20 minutes or whatever, but general mobs WILL always respawn after a length of time. So if you are running back and forth ferrying weapons to machines, the mobs are going to begin to respawn around you. It is very possible to organize your mission queue so that you end up doing all the missions in one area in one go, to minimize the backtracking and dealing with respawned mobs.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
After playing through on my Commando three times, and my Mechromancer...crap, who knows how many times I've reset Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode, I've finally hit the wall where I simply don't feel like grinding out my weapons for my idea build each time the cap is increased.

There's a good chance that I'll pick up what I'm missing when it goes on sale on Steam, or whenever they finally decide to give us the Hyperion station expansion that we're all salivating for, but for now, Pandora's box stays closed.

Hehehe. Box...

madmat

Soup Nazi
One question. I have a golden key and I haven't used it yet. Exactly when would be the ideal time level wise to use it? I'm at level 11 now but if the items in the chest in Sanctuary improve as I level I'd rather wait to redeem the key.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Regular mode is easy to rip through using just the quest rewards and drops. True vault hunter mode is where things start to get tough, and ultimate vault hunter mode can get down right crazy! I'd suggest waiting until UVHM.

I think I still have about 70 keys or so, but even with the gear that comes out of the chest (which isn't that good, aside from maybe plasma casters) I just can't bring myself to grind out another 11 levels.

Redmax

Obliviot
Digistruct is a grind, I played through that like 9 times and only went up 2 levels. Blasted through a DLCs in an evening and still only went up 2 levels. Currently 67 and kinda tabled it.

Pretty sure I'm not going to reset my progress or start any new characters so when I finally reach 72 that will be the end of Borderlands 2 for me.

As for the golden chest. VHM is when the weapons are most beneficial since they will be level matched. UVHM assumes that you farmed for golds during the second playthru. I'd suggest that you sign up for Shift and start collecting keycodes. After that you'll easily get enough keys to refresh your inventory every 10 levels or so.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Yeah, I've got plenty of keys, I didn't realize they were so easy to obtain. Currently I'm sitting at level 23 and I just finished Pirate Booty. I've found out that you need to be a couple of levels above the mission if you don't want to spend time (and money) being reconstructed. That said, I assaulted the leviathan at level 22 and managed to whoop up on it without running out of ammo (I had no time to get squat out of the ammo chests, stupid sand worms) or dying. It was close but I managed to make it out of "fight for life" mode 5 or 6 times and boosted my health back to full by going straight into gunzerk mode after catching my second wind.

I have to say, I'm really enjoying the game now although there are a few things that bug me like being stopped cold by a change in the angle of the terrain or enemies that are in places you can't reach that drop loot where it's in sight but impossible to get to. Minor quibbles really. So far I have to say it's a fantastic game. I just wish I could get some co-op action going on.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It seems like Gearbox went a little too overkill on the leveling system this time around. In Borderlands 1, I maxed out two characters and it never felt like a grind (I put 250 hours into that game across those two maxed chars and then a level 30). I am almost wondering if I'd even reach max level, which is hilarious to think about given how much time I put into BL1 (I do consider BL2 to be the superior game also).

I have to say, I'm really enjoying the game now although there are a few things that bug me like being stopped cold by a change in the angle of the terrain or enemies that are in places you can't reach that drop loot where it's in sight but impossible to get to. Minor quibbles really. So far I have to say it's a fantastic game. I just wish I could get some co-op action going on.

I am hoping to get some co-op action going soon. As for the things that bug you, I agree. What REALLY bugs me is when it looks like you can get to an area, you can't... there's a hidden barrier. Then two minutes later you could literally get stuck in an area that it DID let you into :D

madmat

Soup Nazi
I got an Infinity pistol today. It's a lvl. 9 Rapid variant. Anyone know how to find one a tad higher level?

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
*sigh*

It was on sale. I had to buy Digistruct Peak, the three head hunters DLCs, and the other Mechromancer skin pack. Now I've got the loot and shoot itch again!