Barnes & Noble: New Nook

marfig

No ROM battery
Barnes & Noble has announced the New Nook, which can be pre-ordered for now and will become available June, 10.

What they say:
- 50% more contrast than the first edition (you can read in full sunlight)
- Change text size and font
- 80% smoother page turn and flashing minimized
- 8 ounces (~225 grams)
- Huge battery life; one charge = 2 months of reading
- $139 Wi-Fi version

If that battery life is for real (I have to assume 2 months of natural usage, not two months being On all the time) this pretty much eliminates Nook Color off my buying list and I will definitely go with this B&W edition, since color isn't that important for me.

Not the prettiest thing. But damn sexy.

See it here.

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Hey Marfig, sounds like a nice Nook update!

I don't know that much about the Nook... is it a free access reader? Does it allow all sorts of file formats, no restrictions on ebook / text doc types you can upload to it? Or is it more like iTunes where users have to circumvent the software to upload music from third parties?

marfig

No ROM battery
That has been my major concern too. Like you, I didn't know much about it. But I was assured here (post #7) that it isn't vendor locked. I have quite a big collection of pdfs I bought elsewhere, pdfs I downloaded and pdfs I created that couldn't be used, otherwise. And that would make Nook pretty much useless to me.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
I do have about 300 .pdf files from all kinds of sources ... books, MS Power Points written to .pdf that have no issue with the Nook. I do like the price on your find, but color is useful for me.

I bought an 8 GB microSDHC memory expansion card. I wish that I had looked a bit longer & purchased at least a 16 GB card!!! Several hundred .pdf books is no longer unreasonable.

One issue that I am thinking about, and perhaps it is already available but I cannot find it, is a way to reference specific pages ... dog ear or PostIt note a specific page. That would make it the perfect reference library as far as I am concerned!

marfig

No ROM battery
Well, with this one you can bookmark pages and even highlight passages of text.

It's reasonable to assume it shouldn't take long for them to announce the All-New Nook Color. So you will probably want to wait :)

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
This thing sounds like a baby pacifier. My wife just came to me with puppy dog eyes asking for a Kobo Touch. :S