Project : DST (Dallas Stars Tribute)

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
On my airbursh setup, it is just a little silent airpump with a Badger Crescendo series airbrush.

No HVLP yet... I am going to be pricing those guns in a few... along with a larger comperessor for the equipment.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Too much paint talk.. I can smell the fumes! Seriously though, after seeing how cool that White looks, I feel like trying my hand at something like this in the future.

Buck-O

Coastermaker
No Rob, thats just your upper lip. ;)

And yes, it does look really impressive.

I must say, that as a profesional detailer, i have thoguht many a time about having a custom case painted with automotive paints (im partial tot he Subaru limited edition Rally Mica Black, which was a black pigment, with the Rally Mica Blue flake in it, looks absolutely stunning with properly detailed, and in direct full spectrum or sun light). Just so i could detail it to that perfect shine. Unfortunately, i have yet to find "that case" worth modding the bejesus out of.

Ult1mate x64

Obliviot
Pretty kewl mod you have here, I hope you finished it.

May I ask what kind of white that is, because that is the same white I want to paint my frame.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
I believe it was simply Krylon semi-gloss white.

*huff*
*puff*
*bloooooows the dust off...*

;)

Please pardon my "less than gracefull re-entry back into this mod.

Several things came out of a trip I took reciently that have allowed me to progress a few things on this mod...

So, without further adeiu...

scuff1.jpg

I scuffed the top and sides way back in March.

panel1.jpg

top1.jpg

I also painted the pieces way back then too!

decal1.jpg

The two uncut decal layouts...

decal2.jpg

Robidas being trimmed up for decal removal. These are waterslide decals. Which means that when I remove them, they are completely emersed in water. Since I print these on an ink jet, I must shoot a solid layer of clear coat on top of the decal print job. If I dont get compete coverage... well, you can likely guess what will happen...

decal3_bleed.jpg

1st time, I did not use enough clear sealent and the colors bled out...

decal4_trans.jpg

Whoops... transparent is just that.... you need an all white background for phtography like this to work. Also, putting a tranparent decal on a black surface should be considered a general no-no, there is nothing to bring the colors of the picture out. Use transparent only on lighter backgrounds....

I have a friend, and he hooks me up so well....
decal_grill.jpg

Now, I also had several completely custom 80mm fan grills and several 120mm fan grills that are patterned after the Dallas Stars logo, incorporating the Star from the middle to make the fan grill....

decal.jpg

Those are high res shots printed straight on the vinyl.

madmat

Soup Nazi
So, are you going with vinyl decals now or are they still waterslide? I must say that I'm digging the fan grills, who made them?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yeah, those fan grills are pimp. Must cost a fair bit to get customs made?

Thanks for filling us in man, I look forward to seeing progress :D

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
So, are you going with vinyl decals now or are they still waterslide? I must say that I'm digging the fan grills, who made them?

Yeah, going to try the vinyl, the waterslide just was not giving me the results I wanted. Going to try this method now.

As for the grills, I am not at liberty to give a name. He works for a company that has the ability to produce these items, and we snuck them through "while the boss man" was not looking. So, to reduce his exposure, he shall remain nameless. :)

But, for the record, laser cutters ROCK!!! ;)

madmat

Soup Nazi
Yeah, going to try the vinyl, the waterslide just was not giving me the results I wanted. Going to try this method now.

As for the grills, I am not at liberty to give a name. He works for a company that has the ability to produce these items, and we snuck them through "while the boss man" was not looking. So, to reduce his exposure, he shall remain nameless. :)

But, for the record, laser cutters ROCK!!! ;)

Simply saying "A friend" or "Buddy from work" or what have you would suffice it for me. :) Tell him your forum friends say "Job well done!"

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Nice progress Greg! Those grills are pimp.. wait let me retype that.. Man dem grillz be strait pimp yo! lol Cool of that friend(s) to hook you up with that stuff. I can't wait!

moon111

Coastermaker
Great job, although the Dallas Stars are definately not my team. I could never put a player's name on my computer because sure enough it would mean they would be traded A.S.A.P. It's a curse like getting you're wife's name tattoo'd or sharing an email address eg cindyndave@gettingdivorced.com.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
It is going to rock... mark my words....
;)

I'm using this case as a testing platform for some ideas, but my agreement with the Stars, was that for use of their logo and access to their image library and players, I had to do one for them as well.

It will be a case that will be auctioned off by the Dallas Stars Foundation for their charitable fundraiser. I have commitments from Crucial, Nvidia and Coolermaster. I will be contacting other vendors as well to add into the rig, but I cannot wait to get to work on this next one.

But I cannot get too excited on that one, as I need to finish this one first and proove the concepts.

:)

It is going to be a bit exciting around my house over the next few months. Add into this that I am going to loose at least one month, possibly 2 to recovery from foot and ankle surgery that I go in for this next Thursday. So, my modding is going to be severly curtailed until I can stand for any decent period of time. (Kind of necessary for modding, dont you think?)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You sound like a busy man T-D. I can't wait to see where both Stars mods go. How was it that they found out about you, or did you just contact them? Either way, building a PC for them to auction off is an honor :D

madstork91

The One, The Only...
And any free tickets you dont want that they shower you with will be greatly appreciated going my way ;)

Seriously though, I love what ive seen of your work so far. I hope it turns out Uber!

Edit: Btw what happened to your foot man? I hope youre ok. Ive got a bone chip in my left one. :(

Last edited: