Zalman ZM-HE350 U3 Hard Drive Enclosure Review

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Choosing the right CPU, GPU, or even SSD could be considered difficult - but so could simple peripherals, such as an HDD enclosure. These seem to be a dime a dozen, and while many consumer purchases may boil down to aesthetic value, we've discovered with Zalman's ZM-HE350 U3 that not all external enclosures perform alike.

You can read Ryan's full look at Zalman's latest enclosure and then discuss it here!

U

Unregistered

automatic power on/off

hi and thanks for the review!

you have any ideas if the harddrive assembled into the Zalman ZM-HE350 U3 suspends or powers on and off along with the computer it's attached to? Or is the drive once the case is switched on manually, always on?

thanks!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I cannot verify if it does or doesn't however Windows 7 has a built in feature that will turn off hard drives after 20 minutes of not being accessed. This is a default that is enabled when the OS is installed but I'm not sure if this applies to external since the enclosure may take over as far as power options go.

There are a lot of things on the go right now but I will try to test this out as soon as I can and will report what I find here.

U

Unregistered

chasis/enclosure

Well.. wasn't 'in enclosure' actually USB 3 and 'in chasis' actually SATA?

So why not put those words on the chart?

It can also explain the difference in speed.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I can see your point but I would hope that readers realize that the enclosure being tested is USB 3.0 so we'd be using that interface. Also, because the drive being used in the enclosure is SATA, well, that's self explanatory.

Perhaps USB 3.0/In Enclosure and SATA/In chassis will work in the future.