Worse performance on an overclock?

THUMPer

Coastermaker
Hey guys,
Just installed my E8400. Took it for a drive in cod4, expected results ensued. overclocked to 3.6 got about 30 fps.

at 3.0 my ram is 833Mhz

at 3.6 my ram is 800Mhz a 1:1

i get a solid 125 FPS(locked) in cod4 at stock speeds, and get about 30 at overclock. What in the hell is going on?

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I have 3.6 also and FSB @ 438
3DMARK06 at 17,770
But then I have 8800GT in SLI.

Could be the video card? :confused:

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
like i said. at 3.0 i get normal 100+ frames. I think the mobo is limiting me.
That's weird
Did you unlink the FSB with memory?....well, of course you did....
Sounds like something is going on if you get better frames at stock cpu speeds
When I over clock, I also look at the memory as I go up...each time it gets near to what my memory speed is, i try that setting.
and reboot.

Could be mobo......dunno

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Sounds more like an unstable OC than anything... how much voltage are you applying to the Northbridge or CPU? You aren't pushing the CPU to 100C+ temps like you did with my QX9650, are you? ;-)

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
The motherboard wouldn't be limiting anything.

Sounds like it is possible the GPU isn't getting enough power once you overclock the system... Remember the 2900 XT was one of the most power hungry graphics cards ever created to date. Are you overclocking the GPU any? What's the PSU, and are you using the 2by4 and 2by3 power plugs?

THUMPer

Coastermaker
The memory goes up as i up the FSB.
The voltage on the E8400 is 1.18. (I Even tried 1.2, and 1.25)
Every other voltage like NB and such is all set to auto.
I put the memory to 2.1v though
On load the CPU reaches about 42-43c.

I an using the 6 PIN, and the 8 PIN Power on the 2900xt
My Power supply is a 750 Watt Corsair. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006
I have a slight OC on the Card using ATI Overdrive

When I had my E6600, The Same thing happened at 3.4Ghz. I got worse Performance.
Do I need to set any other voltages up?
Whats this "FSB Terminiation Voltage"

Last edited:

THUMPer

Coastermaker
ok. upped the PCI-E Frequency. everything is fine now. Stable at 3.6 and 1.18v

And uh merlin...I think your volts are a bit too high. I bet your CPU is running nice and warm. I bet you could run at 1.18/1.2v

I think the max rating by intel is like 1.3 or something.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Yeah, anything over 1.4V for 24/7 use is WAY too much. These CPU's cannot handle the voltage like the 65nm cousins.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Yeah, anything over 1.4V for 24/7 use is WAY too much. These CPU's cannot handle the voltage like the 65nm cousins.
Temps at 1.41 ( ooooops )....not 1.47
Cooled with Zalman 9700LED air
45 nm chips run cooler

Last edited:

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
It's not the temps that cause the problem. It is electrical migration and it is shown all over the web that over 1.4V on these 45nm CPU's is like Russian Roulette. I also feel that program is not only far too optimistic with temperature readings, but E8400's temp to not read properly at all. That CPU is guaranteedly running much hotter at that voltage and speed.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Thanks

It's not the temps that cause the problem. It is electrical migration and it is shown all over the web that over 1.4V on these 45nm CPU's is like Russian Roulette. I also feel that program is not only far too optimistic with temperature readings, but E8400's temp to not read properly at all. That CPU is guaranteedly running much hotter at that voltage and speed.
Okay, I see
I brought it down to 1.18v and still stable at 3.6 and 400 FSB

I must have bumped it when I was pushing it the other day.
LOL...temps are down to 28C now

Thanks

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
The whole thing is the absolute "need" people have to get 4GHz+ out of these CPU's. They expect something magical to happen and for everything to run perfectly when anything over 3Ghz is basically wasted speed. It is fun doing it, but pushing 1.7V through a 45nm CPU just to show how badass you are is silly. That same person will someday be posting his "Why did it die" thread too.