World's most valuable sports teams?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Can you take a stab at guessing the top ten most valuable sports teams in the world right now? Well, you don't have to, since Forbes took the hassle out of things, with a list they recently published. Some cool facts are mentioned there. Did you know that in 2003, there were no sports teams worth over $1B? Did you know that in 2008, there were 24?

An even cooler stat is knowing that the majority of $1B teams belong within the NFL, with the majority of others belonging to various footy (soccer) leagues. The only team to hit the $1B mark for either the MLB, NBA or NHL is the New York Yankees, and that also makes it three NY teams to keep in the top ten. Speaking of... check out how close the Giants and Jets are in terms of worth. Scary close!

1) Manchester United (EPL) $1.8B
2) Dallas Cowboys (NFL) $1.6B
3) Washington Redskins (NFL) $1.5B
4) New England Patriots (NFL) $1.32B
5) New York Yankees (MLB) $1.3B
6) Real Madrid (La Liga) $1.29B
7) Arsenal (EPL) $1.2B
8) New York Giants (NFL) $1.18B
9) New York Jets (NFL) $1.17B
10) Houston Texans (NFL) $1.17B

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ahh, a United fan... I see. Well, I'll allow that, I guess ;)

Arsenal has been having a rough year, indeed. It's been kind of depressing, to be honest. There were many games when we should have won, and didn't, and even the games that were won, were stressful up to the end. Take the v. Everton match the other day, for example. Arsenal struck an equalizer at 92'... insane. I swear, there are few teams out there that wait to the last minute like Arsenal does. Here's a recent quote (and a humorous one) from Arsene Wenger:

"I think we have scored 16 goals in the last 15 minutes of the last 33 games, and we did that again on Saturday."

Gotta love the "I think", as if he just hauled those stats out of his ass or something, haha.

On_Wisconsin

Coastermaker
What the hell are the houston Texans doing on that list?

It is Texas...you guys have a few HS stadiums that are bigger than Wisconsin's D3 colleges (including Whitewater who's been to the nat'l championship like every year the past few years...) :D

On_Wisconsin

Coastermaker
I'm not surprised Man U is on top...almost every soccer player around here is a Man U fan...that or Chelsea...

madstork91

The One, The Only...
It is Texas...you guys have a few HS stadiums that are bigger than Wisconsin's D3 colleges (including Whitewater who's been to the nat'l championship like every year the past few years...) :D

Yeah... but no one here is a huge Texan fan... I havent met one person who was like "IM SUCH A TEXANS FAN!"

As for the D3 colleges bit... Some of our high schools themselves have double the attendance of those colleges. Easy...

160 something ppl graduated from my glass early, and we still had 586 ppl in my graduating class. The incoming frshman class that year was a lil over 1,000 kids. And we were not even the biggest in the Dallas Ft worth area.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Ahh, a United fan... I see. Well, I'll allow that, I guess ;)

Arsenal has been having a rough year, indeed. It's been kind of depressing, to be honest. There were many games when we should have won, and didn't, and even the games that were won, were stressful up to the end. Take the v. Everton match the other day, for example. Arsenal struck an equalizer at 92'... insane. I swear, there are few teams out there that wait to the last minute like Arsenal does. Here's a recent quote (and a humorous one) from Arsene Wenger:

"I think we have scored 16 goals in the last 15 minutes of the last 33 games, and we did that again on Saturday."

Gotta love the "I think", as if he just hauled those stats out of his ass or something, haha.

Ahh a Gunner! well Arsenal has some fresh young blood which will eventually pay off next season or so! Arsene and Ferguson always make a comeback. man i remember that season wen Arsenal went all the way undefeated! Arsene can be funny sometimes.

Last edited:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
What the hell are the houston Texans doing on that list?

I agree with you Stork!

I refuse to believe that they haul in more money than some of the other NFL franchises. Hell, Peyton alone sells like 48 billion dollars in jerseys. WTF?

(...Peyton jersey sales are exaggerated)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm not surprised Man U is on top...almost every soccer player around here is a Man U fan...that or Chelsea...

It helps that both teams tend to be extremely good and well-marketed to nations other than Europe. Both teams also spend a lot of money on players, which is good I guess. Man U just picked up Berbatov, and that has to be one of the best purchases of the year... superb player. Arsenal on the other hand, tries to spend as little as possible and instead just cherry picks less-expensive players from other teams who show great potential. It just takes a while for that to pay off :-/

man i remember that season wen Arsenal went all the way undefeated! Arsene can be funny sometimes.

Great year, that's for sure. We also had Thierry Henry at the time, and that no doubt helped. I wish he'd make a return.

Hell, Peyton alone sells like 48 billion dollars in jerseys. WTF?

Haha, that's probably not too far off. I need to get me one next year, or maybe someone else. Peyton shirts are so popular, wearing one almost makes you look like you just want to be part of the club, heh. Luckily, there are many other great players on that team. Hopefully they'll kick into full gear next year and get to the Superbowl again...

moon111

Coastermaker
Since football and soccer are about as exciting as watching Dotto's cafe, I'll say the Toronto Maple Leafs are the clear cut winners! :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
moon111 said:
Since football and soccer are about as exciting as watching Dotto's cafe, I'll say the Toronto Maple Leafs are the clear cut winners!

Is Dotto even outside of the US? I used to watch his shows a long time ago (must've been over ten years ago), and loved it. Saw an episode a few years ago though, and I was bored out of my skull. Might not help that it's designed for the novice computer user, though.

As for the Leafs, good team, but it would be nice if they won a Stanley Cup once in a while. It's getting a little embarassing.

BlindMonk

E.M.I.
Well, a serious guess would be External Memory Interface but I don't know for sure. Hopefully someone who helped come up with the posting tiers will translate. Personally I'd love to be a Coastermaker for as long as Manchester's on that list.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
To be honest, your guess is about as good as mine. We chose those names via a contest when the site first started, and I'm not even sure if I knew what the meaning was :-/