Wooden PC Case in the making - Got Questions.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Get a little 1/16 inch thick felt or rubber washer, place it between anything that vibrates and the wood you are screwing it into.

You dont have to go so far as to custom build a rubber lining for everything (though lord knows that would probably make this thing Uber)

As far as the speaker grill linked to, that is EXACTLY what I was talking about! Nice find! Steam punk anyone?

killem2

Coastermaker
Get a little 1/16 inch thick felt or rubber washer, place it between anything that vibrates and the wood you are screwing it into.

You dont have to go so far as to custom build a rubber lining for everything (though lord knows that would probably make this thing Uber)

As far as the speaker grill linked to, that is EXACTLY what I was talking about! Nice find! Steam punk anyone?

Steam Punk? I will go get some rubber washers. Thanks man :)

killem2

Coastermaker
Just a small update :D, I finished sanding everything down, I only had three type of sand paper in good enough condition to use 60 -> 100 -> 250. I just finally finished putting the indention for my hinges as well, I'm picking up my rubber washers and some nuts tonight, then hopefully start staining. I am mixing a dark walnut and a red mahogany together.

My goal is to make the pc almost look black when its dark, but shine like a nice coffee table in the day ;D

killem2

Coastermaker
Staining version 1.0 :) Apologize for the flash, it is really kind of misleading out much the grain stands out, its really not as bad as it looks.

CIMG3139.jpg

CIMG3140.jpg

CIMG3141.jpg

CIMG3142.jpg

CIMG3143.jpg

CIMG3144.jpg

CIMG3145.jpg

CIMG3146.jpg

CIMG3147.jpg

CIMG3148.jpg

CIMG3149.jpg

CIMG3150.jpg

CIMG3151.jpg

CIMG3152.jpg

CIMG3153.jpg

CIMG3154.jpg

killem2

Coastermaker
the cpu is at 4.0 i had the 5850 at 880/1300 but there is a bug with dual monitors and it causes screen tearing :( so its back to stock My normal temps are usually 30-32 degrees celcius with the door open on my metal case with the door closed with this wood case it hasn't went above 37 degrees. I still need to get some cable managed ment going though

crowTrobot

E.M.I.
Those temps look pretty damn good for that space. I figured an area that small would be producing Pentium 4-like heat, looks like I was wrong.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Not bad... not bad at all.

Only one small suggestion... on your next build you should watch the directions of your woodgrains... It's kind of an unwritten rule that woodgrain always goes along the longest dimension, not across it...

Nice project, well done.

killem2

Coastermaker
Not bad... not bad at all.

Only one small suggestion... on your next build you should watch the directions of your woodgrains... It's kind of an unwritten rule that woodgrain always goes along the longest dimension, not across it...

Nice project, well done.

Yeah there was a lot of things I made mistakes on, next time I make a wood case (which I will try again) when I get an actual house and room for it, I will have much more room to work with, much better wood, and fans blowing air from the bottom upward to the back rather than how it is now.

killem2

Coastermaker
Those temps look pretty damn good for that space. I figured an area that small would be producing Pentium 4-like heat, looks like I was wrong.

Well it is still winter time here in nebraska we'll see how things are in summer time haha. :D With my wire management corrected those temps I listed have dropped by 5-6 degrees now.

crowTrobot

E.M.I.
lol well even winter time up here in Canada my 8800GT and pentium 4s produce so much heat and are only about 5 degrees cooler than in the summer. I think I really have to work on cable management and airflow.

killem2

Coastermaker
lol well even winter time up here in Canada my 8800GT and pentium 4s produce so much heat and are only about 5 degrees cooler than in the summer. I think I really have to work on cable management and airflow.

I should be ok, I mean yes summers in Nebraska are horrible, humid and nasty. However, I think if I play it smart I'll be ok. We're going to see if we can land a good deal on a nice window air unit that is rated in BCUs (i think that is the rating) for the room. Normally though in the summer our living room can to 85F :( the air conditioner we have now only gets it down to 79-80 F which is because the AC is way to tiny for the living room befcause our kitchen/dining room merges with it. (stupid trailers :( )

Last edited: