Windows Vista Version Comparison

U

Unregistered

Versions

You stated that there were 8 versions in one of your article, I know of the enterprise and the starter versions, can you verify the other 2 versions please?

Thx, Russ

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You stated that there were 8 versions in one of your article, I know of the enterprise and the starter versions, can you verify the other 2 versions please?

Thx, Russ

Hi Russ,

Vista Starter
Vista Home Basic
Vista Home Basic N
Vista Home Premium
Vista Business
Vista Business N
Vista Ultimate
Vista Enterprise

The N versions are for EU... scaled down to please their governments.

U

Unregistered

Hi Russ,

Vista Starter
Vista Home Basic
Vista Home Basic N
Vista Home Premium
Vista Business
Vista Business N
Vista Ultimate
Vista Enterprise

The N versions are for EU... scaled down to please their governments.

Thanks, Russ

C

critofur

Who wants to buy a stripped down version of the OS with features missing? And I'm sure as hell not paying $300 to upgrade. Time to switch to Linux, Microsoft is just way too greedy, in fact, I think it would be immoral to support such a company by buying their products!

gin88

Obliviot
Vista Home Basic v Premium and how much RAM?

Hi Rob,

I am a PC novice, and buying a computer for home. We'll be using it just for emails and photos, no gaming, probably also Itunes/similar for Ipods. I've read your very informative article on the Vista types, but am still confused as to which I should get. The computer I am looking at is a Dell E520 and comes with basic. Is premium better for an extra $90 but will it need a lot more memory? I've been told we'd need at least 1gb of RAM and I don't really want to get any more than that (but was planning to get 1gb).

Please advise!

thanks

Gin88:)

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
You'd be better off saving your money and just going with Home Basic. If you decide later on that you need the extra features you didn't get with Home Basic, then you can use Windows Anytime Upgrade to move to Home Premium, but at a premium.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Aye, I agree. Home Basic would be your best best. The only thing you really miss out on is the Aero interface. Like Tater said, you can upgrade at anytime to a better version if you feel you need it.

U

Unregistered

What's with the distinction for dual CPU in there? Why is M$ supporting or NOT supporting dual cpus based on it's OS version? XP supports it now.
wtf.gif

Because microsoft is a pile of poo, use Linux!

U

Unregistered

Vista Ultimate (Buggiest of all the versions or not)

Hi Guys, hope you can help me. I'm hearing that Vista Ultimate is the buggiest version of all the vista versions, is this true or alot of crock. Is Home Premium the best choice for a gamer/work at home person ect.....

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Warning - those who purchase the OEM product, which is technically only for distribution with a new computer - will find out that it only has a single version i.e., you will not find both the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions in the box. I believe the retail Upgrade or Full Versions will have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Can someone confirm that?

I bought the OEM of Vista Ultimate and it gives you a choice at install.
Only paid 109.00 USD for it

I have been running it on this new build for a few months now, no problems and I would recomend it to any gamer

Merlin

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Hi Rob,

I am a PC novice, and buying a computer for home. We'll be using it just for emails and photos, no gaming, probably also Itunes/similar for Ipods. I've read your very informative article on the Vista types, but am still confused as to which I should get. The computer I am looking at is a Dell E520 and comes with basic. Is premium better for an extra $90 but will it need a lot more memory? I've been told we'd need at least 1gb of RAM and I don't really want to get any more than that (but was planning to get 1gb).

Please advise!

thanks

Gin88:)

Vista is a hungry beast for RAM, It uses at least 750 mb of ram so I suggest you get a twin set of one gig a piece ( 2 gigs DDR2 )

Merlin