Windows Vista Version Comparison

U

Unregistered

Warning - OEM Edition does not have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions

Warning - those who purchase the OEM product, which is technically only for distribution with a new computer - will find out that it only has a single version i.e., you will not find both the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions in the box. I believe the retail Upgrade or Full Versions will have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Can someone confirm that?

Kilamon

E.M.I.
What's with the distinction for dual CPU in there? Why is M$ supporting or NOT supporting dual cpus based on it's OS version? XP supports it now.
wtf.gif

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Warning - those who purchase the OEM product, which is technically only for distribution with a new computer - will find out that it only has a single version i.e., you will not find both the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions in the box. I believe the retail Upgrade or Full Versions will have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Can someone confirm that?

Not sure.. I will see what I can find out. I have a special version DVD with 32-Bit versions only, so I can't confirm anything. But... I believe you are right. Maybe that's why the OEM's are so cheap?

What's with the distinction for dual CPU in there? Why is M$ supporting or NOT supporting dual cpus based on it's OS version? XP supports it now.
wtf.gif

I'm going to be looking into this. In essence, that would mean Quad FX owners -have- to buy Vista Ultimate in order to use their extra CPU. Not a wise choice by Microsoft as far as I am concerned.

C

Chris fowler

VISTA and PALM SOFTWARE

I have discovered that XP MEDIA CENTER EDITION is not compatible with Palm software (after purchasing a new computer with MCE - and not being told by Dell). Neither Dell nor Palm can tell me if this problem will be resolved when I upgrade to VISTA PREMIUM!! I am also told the only way to change this situation is to buy another new computer with a non-media center operating system; I cannot up/downgrade the OS on my INSPIRION E1405!! Is this actually true!!?? Why haven't I heard from other Palm Users out there?? I daresay there are a few! Thanks for any thoughts! Chris

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Does this PALM software require a handheld to be tested? I could test install some software if I don't need the handheld.

I fail to understand why the software does not work with MCE though. MCE is essentially XP Professional with a few add-ons. I do find that foolish though. Just let me know what the software is and I can see if it installs/runs fine.

C

Chris Fowler

Palm software

Thank you for your quick response. My handheld is a Tungsten E2. The installation disk that came with it simply says "Tungsten E2 Desktop Software for Windows / Palm One" I can't believe Dell would tell me that XP Media Center OS is not compatible with Palm software, if the difference is simply that this is a "Desktop" software disk!! I am running an Inspiron E1405 laptop. Thanks again, Chris

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hey Chris,

I don't think I understand what you mean exactly, or what's the problem. The software is for your PALM right, for syncing purposes? Have you tried to install the software under your MCE, or does it give an error?

I just don't understand why it would not work under your version of Windows. It's not like you have an alien version... it's just XP Pro with a new name.

As for Dell being misleading... I agree.

U

Unregistered

The article is a little bit misleading regarding the dual CPU's.

People will read it and thing it means that a dual core CPU won't be supported in Home Premium. That's simply not true. Having two dual core CPU's however, if you had some server grade motherboard, would not be. You could run a 4 core or 8 core CPU in Home Premium no problem. Vista is built for multi-core processors.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I do agree with you, I will add a small side note beside that factor. I don't think it was misleading though... it's just how people read it. It's against Dual CPU's, not Dual Core CPU's.

Still, I find the fact that it wouldn't worth with Dual CPUs to be foolish.

U

Unregistered

Damn...I read about the Vista Coupons somewhere that XP Pro -> Business. No games? No Bitlocker? No Movie Maker/DVD Maker?

What about that upgrade-to-another-version-of-Vista? It'll cost me $139 to go from my 'free' Business to the Ultimate. So the end user with XP Pro can only pay $139 for Vista Ultimate, right? Or am I missing another "inflated-ego" cost?

~Ibrahim~

M

Mike

Remote Desktop

Hi,

I read somewhere that Ultimate has Remote Desktop, but the other versions do not (such as Home Premium). Does that mean I don't have RD available to connect into my work PC? Or is it that I can't remote connect into my machine running Vista Home Premium? This might be the deciding factor for me.

Mike.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am not familiar with either, but from what I understand, this is what each has:

Basic: Remote Assistance
Home Premium: Remote Assistance
Business: Remote Desktop
Ultimate: Remote Desktop

I'm not sure of the difference, but like I said, I never used either before. I assume Remote Desktop is a full featured app though, while Remote Assistance is something simple. I couldn't get Remote Desktop to work when I gave it a try, so I left it.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
You read correctly. Home Premium doesn't have Remote Desktop functionality.

I'm can't say Vista will support this program, but <a href="https://secure.logmein.com/">LogMeIn</a> offers the same security and features of the Remote Desktop function. I've known a few who've used it, and enjoy it's functionality.

moon111

Coastermaker
I have discovered that XP MEDIA CENTER EDITION is not compatible with Palm software (after purchasing a new computer with MCE - and not being told by Dell). Neither Dell nor Palm can tell me if this problem will be resolved when I upgrade to VISTA PREMIUM!! I am also told the only way to change this situation is to buy another new computer with a non-media center operating system; I cannot up/downgrade the OS on my INSPIRION E1405!! Is this actually true!!?? Why haven't I heard from other Palm Users out there?? I daresay there are a few! Thanks for any thoughts! Chris

Off topic, but at one time Palm 5's were frying Dell and other makers motherboards. If you touched the hooked up Palm with static, it would fry the MB. I believe Palm blamed Dell and company, they blamed Palm. Can't remember where all the lawsuits landed. Anyways, I wouldn't touch an attached PDA until after I've discharged static on some other surface first.

An interesting note, I've seen people with a PDA / Computer/ Printer all that wouldn't work together. They kepted calling the various tech-support #'s which all went to the same outsourced call-centre.

I looked briefly on the internet and people have gotten it to work. It seems it's like 'uncertified' drivers. Unless a company has paid MS to certify them, the OS will give an ugly message that frightens people off. Maybe it's just an issue where Palm has said enough is enough and we're not giving MS any more money. Have you tried the software? What happens?

M

Mike

Remote Desktop

Seems a bit odd to me - I can download Remote Desktop (1mb) into Windows 98 and use that to connect into my Windows XP machine. I would assume that with Vista Home Premium I would be able to connect into other machines... and that the lack of Remote Desktop is so that other machines cannot connect into my Home Premium.

I will take this up with Microsoft, as Remote Desktop is essential for me to be able to work from home.

Mike.

U

Unregistered

I disagree

I have a DELL XPS 710 H2C with windows xp mce. I have a palm os palm pilot and have no problem with sync. I dont know what could be the problem