Windows Vista SP1 Ships Next Week

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
If I remember correctly there are a couple of prior updates that need to be installed for it to show up on Auto-update. I'll see if I can find the link again.

Setup Prerequisites

Windows Vista SP1 requires two prerequisite packages to install; a third is required for versions of Windows Vista that are BitLocker™ Drive Encryption capable (Window Vista Enterprise and Windows Vista Ultimate).

The first of the three prerequisite packages required for the service pack includes updates to the servicing stack—the component that handles installation and removal of software updates, language packs, and optional windows features. This update is necessary to successfully install and uninstall the service pack; it also improves the performance and reliability of the service pack installation.

The second of the three prerequisite packages includes updates required to reliably install or uninstall the service pack.

The third of the three prerequisite packages contains an update necessary for proper servicing of Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption capable PCs.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/005f921e-f706-401e-abb5-eec42ea0a03e1033.mspx?mfr=true

Last edited:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Damn.....lol
There is an update everyday I get home.....
So I guess I better get busy

Merlin :techgage:

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I'm not completely sure with Vista as I've only run the Beta for a short period of time. I just seem to remember reading that is wasn't listed as a critical update as of yet, that comes later.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Installed SP1 on my notebook this afternoon... flawless. Vista now is 100 times better than Vista 6 months ago. I notice a difference. Well I think I perceive a difference. More than likely I want to notice a difference so I do... its all in my mind.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I think the reason I didn't see SP1 through Windows Update yesterday was due to the fact I didn't have previous optional updates installed. Once I got those taken care of, it showed up.

I'm with Greg... all three of my SP1 installations went great, although I haven't delve too much into testing.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Cool, glad everyone is getting things installed without any issues so it should go smooth as silk when I get Vista...............;)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
There's a lot of talk of others around the web having issues, but every installation went fine for me. I still haven't seen real performance increases, but the OS is sure not acting worse.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I am sure people are having problems with Vista, it's inevitable. I bricked a couple of machines installing SP2 on XP when it came out so I can't say that people having problems with Vista surprises me.

I think its to the point now where many just want to bitch about Vista because it's still somewhat chic. Vista today is 100 times better than it was 6 months ago. I actually enjoy it most of the time now.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
There's a lot of talk of others around the web having issues, but every installation went fine for me. I still haven't seen real performance increases, but the OS is sure not acting worse.
Well, today I downloaded 46 updates, 5 at a time because, when I tried to do all of them, it rebooted and didn't install all of them.
Finally after all the reboots, I still don't see SP1.
I even checked the history, just to make sure I didn't already DL it.

I'll wait...maybe it's a good thing.....
I remember the XP SP1 problems at first.

:techgage:Merlin:techgage:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Ah Ha

Ref:
http://www.computerworld.com/action...rticleId=9070278&taxonomyId=11&intsrc=kc_feat

What's the (Microsoft) plan, Stan? Simply put — which nothing is, naturally — Microsoft has said that Vista users can update to SP1 via Windows Update (WU) now by manually selecting the service pack from the WU list. Next month, the company will toggle the automatic bit, so to speak, and begin pushing SP1 to all Vista users who have Automatic Updates set to both download and install fixes automatically. Other users who have Automatic Updates set to download patches but notify them before installing — or to simply notify them that something is available — will get the notices regarding SP1 from Automatic Updates in "mid-April," as Microsoft has said. David Zipkin, a Vista senior product manager, said on Tuesday that Microsoft might flip that bit early if things go well this month.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, today I downloaded 46 updates, 5 at a time because, when I tried to do all of them, it rebooted and didn't install all of them.
Finally after all the reboots, I still don't see SP1.
I even checked the history, just to make sure I didn't already DL it.

I had the same issue tonight. There were NO updates to be had at all... then an hour later, a new one suddenly showed up. I downloaded it, and then four more, and THEN SP1 showed up. What a finicky system!

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Sounds like I'd better get all the manual DL I can while I'm in the big city today, all those DL sound like it would just kill my bandwidth for the entire month.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I had the same issue tonight. There were NO updates to be had at all... then an hour later, a new one suddenly showed up. I downloaded it, and then four more, and THEN SP1 showed up. What a finicky system!
Checked just now and 34 language packs

(I dount neeeed no steeenking language packs )......lol

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
1.5 hrs of installing

Be prepared to spend some time updating
After all the reboots and updating, it may be true that it slows the system down.

Just ran 3DMARK06 and came down from 16460 to 12313

I can always roll back to a created point...
But I'll do some more testing

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
System too slow now

I created a restore point....so I'll back out of the SP1 update
I have slowed to a crawl even oc'd at

Last edited: