Windows Vista SP1 Ships Next Week

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Now that Windows 7 has a tentative launch-date, does Vista's SP1 launch seem so meh now? No? Then you'll be happy to know that the official launch for the new service-pack will occur next week. It will not become available through Windows built-in updater until April, however.

The latter method is the one I'll take. Not that I don't trust SP1, but I'm sure many others will be jumping on the bandwagon early and noticeable problems will become evident quick, swaying me even further from upgrading. If that's not the case, then we can all feel more confident once it becomes available through Windows Update.

If you are at work or have some time to kill, you can read the lengthy page on what's new in SP1 over at the official site.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
windows_ultimate_7_012508.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
On March 18, Microsoft will post to its download site the manual installer for Vista SP1. This will be a big one, several hundred megabytes in size. On the Vista upgrade disk Microsoft sent me, it weighs in at over 400 MB. If you wait a month or so, Microsoft will deliver SP1 in April via Windows Update.

Source: TechBlog, Via: Download Squad

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
When MS ships me my copy of Vista, I hope its one with SP1 already included, just to save me the download bandwidth.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If it was shipped already, it definitely won't be. You can download the install in advance though (it doesn't have to be through Windows Update).

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I guess I'll just have to have my son download it for me in advance, those huge downloads kill my monthly bandwidth usage...............:(

My son DL's all my large files (Ubuntu, game patches and the like) and brings them out on the weekends. It's getting to the point that I'm going to have to get him a larger flash drive with the size of these updates here lately.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oh, so you don't just have bandwidth issues, but it's limited as well?

That's a tough situation man! I do not envy you :-(

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Yah, we're limited to 7.5 gig for a rolling 30 day period, that means only downloading what is 100% necessary. With 2 of us using the connection, it can get pretty tight at times.

But I guess that's the price I have to pay for living way out in the country..........:(

Satellite internet really does suck for what you have to pay for it, if there was another option, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yup, living out in the sticks is something that I think I'd like, but I am stuck on technology and could never manage with it. With the ever-faster changing technology, you'd imagine that it can't be much longer before a faster solution is available to you.

WiMax sounds really hopeful and is getting good support so far, but even that is a little ways off. And yeah, satellite is a massive rip-off... but their customers are trapped and they know this.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
It seems that Vista SP1 is going to be offically released tomorrow, at lease that's what these folks are saying................:D And it'll be on Windows Update as well;

Customers will be able to download SP1 tomorrow; retail versions will be in stores on Wednesday.

Microsoft's long-awaited service pack for Windows Vista is reported to be heading to consumers tomorrow. The RTM version of Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) was first released to testers in early February after a lengthy gestation period.

Customers will have two ways to obtain SP1: a stand-alone installer can be downloaded directly from Microsoft's Download Center or users can get the update through Windows Update where it will be labeled as an optional update. Systems that have drivers which are currently known to be incompatible with SP1 will not be permitted to install the update.

"Customers who visit Windows Update can choose to install Service Pack 1. Any system that Windows Update determines has a driver known to not upgrade successfully will not be offered SP1," said a Microsoft spokeswoman.

http://www.dailytech.com/Vista+SP1+Consumer+Rollout+Coming+Tomorrow/article11116.htm

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I'll be installing SP1 on my wife's PC as soon as it is released and then my PC if/when I get a replacement PSU and the rest of it is not fried......

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am not so sure it will be available on Windows Update right away, but I could be wrong. I believe that Office 2007's SP1 came out as a public download first, and then became available over Windows Update a month later.

I could be wrong though, so I'll prepare to eat my words.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Well, it looks to be out now.

DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more appropriate download is available on Windows Update.

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone for x64-based Systems (KB936330)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=874a414b-32b2-41cc-bd8b-d71eda5ec07c&DisplayLang=en

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone (KB936330)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b0c7136d-5ebb-413b-89c9-cb3d06d12674&DisplayLang=en

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Grabbing them as we speak. Most of the applied updates in SP1 are already installed on my notebook anyway but I am excited for better transfer speeds and time till completion predictions.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
They are some huge DL, I already emailed the links to my son so he can grab them for me (I'll need them as soon as my copy of Vista gets here along with my new HD)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Paul's reads are great, I agree. I also installed SP1 with no problem... but contrary to what was believed, it is not available through Windows Update.

So far so good though... haven't run into bad problems.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I heard the same thing where people were able to get it through Update today but not yesterday.