Windows 8 Launches Friday - Will You Be Buying It?

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
It feels like we've been talking about Windows 8 forever and to such a degree that it's sometimes hard to believe it isn't even out yet. In fact, some people have been running the RTM or preview release for months, and companies like AMD, NVIDIA and Intel have stepped up to the plate well in advance of the official launch to release supported drivers. Thanks to this resounding support, we can hope Windows 8 will be become a problem-free launch - but does that matter to you?

windows_8_robs_pc_102312_thumb.jpg

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

Brett Thomas

Senior Editor
I avoid early MS releases like the plague. Windows 8 has a ton of retoolings, and retoolings always mean 1) Unoptimized code, and 2) security vulnerabilities. Granted, I may just try it out...my windows install took a shit recently so I have been meaning to reinstall anyways. But in general, I tend to cringe and avoid unless curiosity gets the better of me.

Big Red Machine

Hellfire and Brimstone
Staff member
Per the article: Am I planning to upgrade to Windows 8 once it's available? Nope. Why/why not? No need to. Windows 7 works very well for me indeed, and buying something new to replace something that works makes no sense to me.

Could I eventually change my mind about Win8 and adopt it in the future? Sure. Anything is possible. But at this point, would I want to PAY for it? Absolutely not. Not when I've already paid for Win7 and have no problems with it.

Question: What would make you want to "upgrade" operating systems as and when they first come out? I've only jumped on a new OS bandwagon once, and that was when Win7 came out. Granted, I'd been on WinXP at the time, so I was happy to move on to DX11. Didn't get Win7 on launch day, but definitely did months before SP1 was issued.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am a sucker for new things... I upgrade most often even if I don't "need" to. I just like knowing I have the most up-to-date OS (this goes for Linux also) possible. Now, if I couldn't get past the Start page, and it bothered me enough, that right there would cause me to back off and sit out a release for once.

As for jumping on an OS right at launch, I think the risk is far smaller than it used to be. It's never been common for Microsoft to detail every little thing before launch, much less get a beta into the hands of common folk early. There's a huge difference between how MS rolled-out Vista and then 7, and 7 turned out to be a winner.

Windows 8 has been beta tested for what... six months or perhaps even more. Then there's the fact that the OS in its current form has been complete since August. Even many companies offered drivers for it at that time. As it is now with my own installation, I haven't run into a single roadblock that I'd expect to with a new OS launch. Whether or not everyone will find themselves in that position, I'm not sure.

madmat

Soup Nazi
If it wasn't for the fact that you have to re-learn the OS (really? They need to hide the power button from the users?) and them being determined that you're going to use a touch inspired interface whether you want to or not, 8 wouldn't be a bad OS. I know when I installed in on the VM Ware on this PC that it installed very quickly and worked well, I just hate (HATE!) the interface. I'll stick to 7 until they either fix 8 or come out with an OS that's more traditional.

marfig

No ROM battery
I will probably be forced into Windows 8 despite my many complaints about it. Let's be clear I don't agree with the UI philosophy, so my relationship with this OS is as bad as it can get. I trust the UI principles that we have been sharing since Windows 95 have been particularly beneficial to everyone involved. Computers today are used by everyone, whether you are 8 or 80.

Metro UI philosophy is borrowed from tablet OSes and the ideas behind touch interfaces. It seems great for tablets and people with touchscreens who won't go into a world of muscle pain from using a touchscreen while seated on a desk the entire day. Metro UI is horrible for anyone else and completely unnecessary.

However I'm a software developer. And I'm in an particular bad position since I'm on the verge of starting a software development company of my own. I cannot ignore Windows 8, particularly because it includes a specific development framework that needs to be studied, learned and eventually programmed against.

But buying that offensive piece of crap? No. I'll get it from my MSDN account. And I cannot possibly see me ever using it as my home operating system. Windows 7 will remain so. My only hope is that Windows 8 fumbles and the world goes back to be a normal place.

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
Last time I booted into 8, I couldn't find the shutdown button .... so no. :p

I'm just going to watch the show for now, see what happens.

Of course you could just download 8 through a torrent. Nothing's stopping you. That's what everyone at my office did when 7 came out. Of course most of the people at my last workplace were douchebags.

MacMan

Partition Master
Per the article: Am I planning to upgrade to Windows 8 once it's available? Nope. Why/why not? No need to. Windows 7 works very well for me indeed, and buying something new to replace something that works makes no sense to me.

I agree, Windows 7 is one sweet OS, but I still find Windows 8 to have its charm, but not enough to replace Windows 7.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Newegg was selling Windows 8 Pro upgrade for $30 (10 off) as early as two weeks ago. I didn't pre-order it then, so I certainly wouldn't buy it now. The price is attractive, but the OS certainly is not. Once the user installs the usual array of programs the start screen and program listings will be cluttered as ****. Even the old-fashioned programs menu had better organization by grouping all software under the publisher's title / name.

So example, one would have a single folder for "Adobe". Under Windows 8, the user will see six or more icons for every single piece of cruddy Adobe software, such as the AIR, updater, and others. Microsoft Office is another program... instead of an Office folder, users get to see every singel installed office program, including those they never use. I don't see how removing folders and just dumping their contents into a single screen is more "organized", or efficient.

Last edited:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Not really sure if I will move to Win8, I am happy with Win7 so far..... I miss the dreamscene that was in Vista Ultimate

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I DO have another machine with no OS sitting in the corner. If I hear something good...and it has to be really good, then I'll load a builders system of Win8

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I DO have another machine with no OS sitting in the corner. If I hear something good...and it has to be really good, then I'll load a builders system of Win8

Just tried to see the preview of Win8 and it said I needed SilverLight. I don't want Silverlight on my system. There seems to be a backdoor for maleware to sneak in from what I was reading.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I had planned on playing around with it in a VM, but for some reason the console won't open in VMWare Server 2 (free download/no longer supported) because it thinks the plugin isn't loaded. Grrr!

What's worse, this puts the brakes on my MCITP studying until I can figure it out or find an alternative.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
lol windows 8 is for tablets and AIOs. There should be a label on the box saying "Not Intended for Desktops".

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Just tried to see the preview of Win8 and it said I needed SilverLight. I don't want Silverlight on my system. There seems to be a backdoor for maleware to sneak in from what I was reading.

Holes like that creep up all the time... can't avoid them. Usually the big ones get patched quick.

What's worse, this puts the brakes on my MCITP studying until I can figure it out or find an alternative.

You could just install it with VMware Player or something. I have found W8 in a VM isn't as good as native installed though, mainly because of the hotspots the new OS has (like putting your mouse to any of the four corners to activate a respective function). Just tedious to pull off in a VM.

Edit: Well unless you run it in full-screen I guess.

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
You can also just set up a server box someplace and RDP into it via Wnidows 7... that's my preferred method for dorking around in Windows 8. As Rob said trying to use Win 8 inside a VM just makes a bad experience worse...

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Try VirtualBox. I was going to suggest Microsoft Virtual PC, but that doesn't seem to support Windows 8 at the moment. Interestingly though, Windows 8 itself will come with Hyper-V for virtualizing - the same stack used in Windows Server.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I still recommend VMware Player unless there's a specific reason to recommend VirtualBox. Player is absolutely free, and in my experience has always offered the better experience.

marfig

No ROM battery
I would not recommend VirtualBox. Unless something changed in the meantime (which I doubt because this bug has existed for years), maximizing it in Windows is very likely to corrupt your mouse cursor if you are using a dual-monitor setup.