Who's a sportsfan around here?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
So, who's a sports-fan around here, and what sport's / teams you following?

Both of the leagues I follow (NFL, EPL) start up at around the same time, so I couldn't be more stoked. Right now, there seems to be a game on every-single day, it's great!

For the NFL, I follow the Indianapolis Colts, who seem to be shaping up pretty well so far under their new coach. It's far too early to judge what kind of season is forthcoming though... they have only played two pre-season matches. I think I'm even more excited to see how some other teams are going to fare, though, like the Chiefs who now have Matt Cassel and the Patriots who finally have Tom Brady back. I think this is going to be a very, very interesting season.

For the EPL, I follow Arsenal (no surprise to some, I'm sure), and so far, the season has KICKED ass for them. Not bad given they hardly spent any money through the summer... complete opposite to Manchester City who spent well over $100 million. Then we have teams like Burnley who managed to beat Manchester United the other day... this is also going to be quite the season, I can feel it.

/me is having a hard time keeping the excitement all bottled-up.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Wow, no replies to this? I thought we had some other sports fans here... ;)

Hmm, I had to look up what the EPL was, guess that shows how serious a fan I am. I just know I want the Eagles to get toasted, I'm not to keen they signed Michael Vick back on.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Kougar said:
Hmm, I had to look up what the EPL was, guess that shows how serious a fan I am.

Very few people care to know what the EPL is. It's not as though footy is big in either Canada or the US. We do have a lot of people from outside the US who frequent here who would know what it is, though.

As for Vick... I'm not entirely gung-ho about that, either. He paid for his crime, I admit, but it was a rather gross crime and it seems odd to allow someone like that back into the NFL. Many will disagree with me, but it just seems a little off. Back to footy (soccer)... you'd never see anything like that happen. They take incidents very, very seriously. I've seen players get banned from certain teams for life for seemingly simple things (like public disturbance).

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaack! my net connection got screwed after some very heavy rainfall so anyways.......

UNITED UNITED UNITED!! gonna be cool this year, Tottenham is kicking ass! so is Arsenal with its young gunners! hope the draws come to Real Madrid Vs Man. Utd.... wohoo!!

djw746

Obliviot
Hmm, I had to look up what the EPL was, guess that shows how serious a fan I am. I just know I want the Eagles to get toasted, I'm not to keen they signed Michael Vick back on.

ha me too (is it bad that I watch those games and had no idea it was called EPL?), and I don't mind Vick but I can't stand McNabb so I am with you on the eagles. Some of that might be that I am a Pittsburgh fan (and Dolphin fan).

I have gotten out of the NFL groove since I moved to Virginia. Redskin ball is not my cup of tea. But fortunately NCAA (Gators (UF) and Hokies (VT) all the way) is all over the place as well as world soccer becoming a common event on ESPN.
9-12-09 has been a crazy day for college football tho... Central Michigan win was done in amazing fashion. (It made for a great break from studying).

edit: curling is fun to watch imo at least at the Olympic level...

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Olympic Knitting?

Haha, now that I could get behind!

The NFL season kicked off to a great start so far! Colts beat out Jacksonville (although it was a close one). I caught the end of the Cincinnati v. Denver game too... intense ending right there.

Time for me to get back to work :D

djw746

Obliviot
not to sound to glib about it but looks like Micheal Vick will get a shot at redemption (but not until week 3 since he is still suspended) since Donovan McNabb broke a few ribs... poor philly

ha, sorry... *chuckling*

Rebeca

Obliviot
I used to watch football (a.k.a. soccer) a while ago, but I haven't had cable in years so I'm no longer up to date. Nonetheless, whenever I do get a chance to watch a match, I do. The last one I watched was the one between Brazil and the U.S. I almost jumped of happiness when Brazil scored the winning goal. If they hadn't won, I would probably still be devastated.

From the EPL, I like Manchester United and it's good to see there's another Man. U. fan here.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Whoa, what in the world is with all the Manchester United fans in here?!

I agree Rebeca... I'm not against the US, but if Brazil would have lost that game, I don't know what I'd do. Granted, the "new" Brazilian team isn't as legendary as the old, but even so.

Phineas

Obliviot
Sports? In Vancouver they'll pay to see someone throwing horse manure against the side of a barn.
The Canuckle-leafs are worth watching but not at the prices they charge for a seat.
And unless somebody lays a fee ticket for the men's gold in hockey on me, it'll be Olympic eating and sleeping [typing is hard work].

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
i remember being in Rio De Janero port when Brazil won the world cup in 1994...we did not have the pass to get off the ship to go into the city but after winning the cup they let us go to celebrate with em!

i miss Ronaldo(original), Zidane, Figo, Dunga, Roberto Carlos, Rivaldo, etc....

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm Canadian, so I fulfill the stereotype of following Hockey.

Favorite team: The Vancouver Canucks

Whenever I think of hockey, I feel so anti-Canadian, because I truly have absolutely no interest. I loved it growing up, but for some reason, I just lost complete interest over time. The strikes and drama sure didn't help much though.

Rebeca

Obliviot
Doomsday said:
i remember being in Rio De Janero port when Brazil won the world cup in 1994...we did not have the pass to get off the ship to go into the city but after winning the cup they let us go to celebrate with em!

That must've been awesome. Not as awesome as watching the match and then celebrating, but still. Where did you guys go to?

Rob Williams said:
Whoa, what in the world is with all the Manchester United fans in here?!

We're spreading like a virus. Since I'm new, I don't know why you like Arsenal though. Mind telling me?

Rob Williams said:
I agree Rebeca... I'm not against the US, but if Brazil would have lost that game, I don't know what I'd do. Granted, the "new" Brazilian team isn't as legendary as the old, but even so.

Yes, I have the exact same thoughts. I wonder if the U.S. team will keep improving though. I hadn't watched them play in a while and I noticed this team is not as bad as what I was expecting.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
That must've been awesome. Not as awesome as watching the match and then celebrating, but still. Where did you guys go to?
Well, we were in Rio de Janeiro..so when they allowed us to go off the ship we went into the city and walked around the city. They wanted to dragg us into the dancing too but well, we never danced so we just stood and watched the fire works!....it was fun..aaahh, still remember the Brazilian girls dancing..:) .......

ah well , Man City 3-4 Man Utd... YEAH!!! GO UNITED!!!

Last edited:

Phineas

Obliviot
Originally Posted by TempletonPeckI'm Canadian, so I fulfill the stereotype of following Hockey.

Favorite team: The Vancouver Canucks

My relationship with Vancouver Canucks is "Lucy and the football" to Charlie Brown's kicking: masochistic. Every year for the past 30 I start buying into it: Vancouver 's world famous overly-hyped coverage.
And every year save two for the last 30 the season has ended with anger and frustration....last year our world class goalie allowed seven unanswered goals in the closing game of the Chicago series and here we are with a couple of wins in the pre-season and some Vancouverites, including sports reporters have the parade route set in stone along with plans for the riot afterward.

gibbersome

Coastermaker
Whenever I think of hockey, I feel so anti-Canadian, because I truly have absolutely no interest. I loved it growing up, but for some reason, I just lost complete interest over time. The strikes and drama sure didn't help much though.

Ehh, same here. But then again I'm a Canadian expatriate (college/grad school) so I guess my interest in hockey was bound to erode.

Also the strike didn't help, not to mention the smaller goalie pads, the increased violence, etc. But however much Hockey sucks watching on TV, it's the most entertaining game to watch in person.

In terms of watchability of live in-stadium games, here's my preference:
Hockey>Football>Basketball>>>Baseball

Yes, I'd rather stick a pencil in my eye than go to another baseball game.