Which One?

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
The Pi's aren't available through my favorite online retailer plus I think the heatsinks would cause problems with heatsink clearance although that is very much up in the air.

Being a budget build I am leaning towards the Scythe Mugen 2 but may go with the Zalman Performa or Thermalright MUX-120 unless the Coolit ECO proves to be a winner.

The ECO would likely put me over budget.

Last edited:

radaja

Obliviot
so hows your setup?i just sold mine and went and got me a golden batch i7-920.
now i need to get some triple channel memory,although these 2200's work alright
in dual channel.but i want 6gigs

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
One of the two boxes reached the processing depot about an hour and a half away from me. The other box still shows in Montreal, about 8 hours away but I am hoping it is just a goof on the part of the tracking website.

If everything goes as planned I should get everything tomorrow.

*fingers crossed*

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Well, some parts arrived today and others are still in transit. I'm hoping it is just the case that is in transit because I'll run the rig nekkid just to test it and then stick everything in the case when it arrives.

We'll see.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Woohoo! The 2nd package just hit the depot in Moncton so if the last one is any indication it should be delivered tomorrow morning.

With the shift that I am working my wife leaves for work and takes my son to daycare in the morning and I hang out at home for 2+ hours. When I get home my son is in bed and my wife is only up for another 2 or 3 hours and then I am up by myself for another 3.

All of that translates into me missing my family pretty bad but tons of free time to put the new rig together, test it and get to overclocking.

radaja

Obliviot
just be sure to post your results.
i just got my golden batch i7-920 #3845B027 today,fired it up and it has a stock vcore is 1.13v
runs super hot.my watercooling setup should be here thursday,then it will be time to take this
chip to 4.6Ghz and beyond.
good luck putting your system together Optix.cant wait to see your results.the i3-530's are monsterCLARKers.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
What do you mean by golden batch, Radaja? Is that like what Tank Guys were talking about with their confirmed overclock chips or something else all together?

radaja

Obliviot
yea kind of.tankguys just find decent Ocers.golden batches a like mine are the early 920 DO's
right before they switched from CO/C1's.the one made in weeks 45 and 49 had a lot of great OCers with awesome IMC on them.mine is one of the best i7-920 batches out there.ive had a few of them now,and the two best ones for me were batches -#3845B027 and #3849B018.they are binned very good.t.intel used the week 45 and 49's for there xeon W3540's, W3570's.
you can see in this batch list,the week 45-49 trend.

Intel core i7 Series batch guide

thats why in my thread at XS im trying to keep a record of the clarkdale batches so we can see which ones OC the best:D

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
As I said over on OCN, everything came in except for my case and silver SATA cables. If I wasn't so tired I would run it nekkid, get the OS installed and test the system at least but that will have to wait until tomorrow.

It was like Christmas though. Packing peanuts and bubble wrap was flying everywhere.

Any info on my batch, 3943A921? I checked your XS thread and it was like Battleship. People had batches all around me but none with the exact number.

radaja

Obliviot
yea they are still new so it will take a while till the database gets built up.
good thing is though a lot of people are buying 3-4 in a row because they
are so cheap so the base grows daily.i'll try and find something on your batch.
once your up and running i'll get your stock vcore(vid) for your chip and put it
in the database.and after you have OCed it for a whail i'll put you highest OC
there too.

Last edited:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
My rig is great. My case sucks...balls.

What a pain. I'll drop the chip info over on OCN.

x.clay

Obliviot
My rig is great. My case sucks...balls.

What a pain. I'll drop the chip info over on OCN.

What don't you like about the case? (just curious). Thermaltake has a some pretty products (Element series cases, Toughpower PSUs) and some that are pretty poor. From the pictures is looks a bit cramped.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
There is zero clearance between the top edge of the motherboard and the top of the case. The 8-pin power connector and the top row of latches on the DIMM slots are located and the top of the motherboard meaning you cannot install fans in the proper location above either of these areas. Just about all boards that I have looked at will have some sort of clearance issue with one of these two.

I ended up having to mount the top fans using the holes that are meant for the air to come through. Because of this the holes do not match up so I was only able to use 2 screws for each causing vibrations and my quiet fans (14db pushing 72CFM) are not so quiet now.

What Tt should have done was make the case an inch taller but leave that inch for fan installation.

Here are some pictures that I am using for a build log over on another forum.

This is with the fans installed in the correct location. The motherboard isn't even all the way up in these two shots.

DSCN4174.jpg

DSCN4179.jpg

Here is how the fans are now mounted.

DSCN4181.jpg

DSCN4182.jpg

Here is how things look on the inside.

DSCN4183.jpg

Also the fan on the bottom of the case is too far back and I cannot install it in the proper location either because my power supply is there.

For a case from an enthusiast company like this they really didn't do their homework. It has soured me from ever using another Tt case. I should have gone with the NZXT Beta like I was going to. I know their cases are actually planned out.

Last edited:

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Ouch man that case looks CRAMPED, I thought my case was kinda small lol. If/when I do another PC build I will probably go larger on the case, maybe Antec 1200 size or similar.

radaja

Obliviot
@Optix,that suck big time.my antec 900 case made my H55M-UD2H
look too small because of it being Micro-ATX but man that case looks like
it was made for Mini-ITX.i so want a corsair obsidian 800D for my gigabyte
X58A-UD3R,so it looks like a micro-ATX.800D is huge

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I was running a NZXT Tempest but it's just too big so I opted for this smaller, low cost solution. Ugh...what a nightmare.

I'll have a build log on OCN shortly once I dial down my overclock.

I may lean on you a bit for pointer, radaja.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Ouch man, that's a bad case! Thermaltake has some interesting twists on designs, but I won't buy anything with their name on it. Cheap cases are usually cheap for a reason, but I would've expected better from that one even so.

I'll admit it does look like the memory slots are placed rather high on that motherboard, but still the fan placements would interfere with most boards in some way or another.