Which motherboard chipset do you like better?

werty316

Partition Master
ATI's chipset is still early so it better to wait for them to get the bugs out but then again the 3200 seems stable but I am not sure.

gliffy

Obliviot
werty316 said:
ATI's chipset is still early so it better to wait for them to get the bugs out but then again the 3200 seems stable but I am not sure.

Buying a buggy motherboard is a bad idea. Motherboard is like the heart of your computer, and you don't want to waste time and trouble with dealing with a buggy board.

zachig

Obliviot
I mostly like the nForce4 chipset and this is also the one I have on my nForce4 eVGA 133-K8-NF41-AX motherboard...:)

Lothar

Obliviot
There was a comment earlier (I don't remember by who) that said the ATI 3200 chipset used 16x PCIe for both graphics slots. I just wanted to point out that the Nforce4 SLI32 (SLI16?) chipset has the same capability.

It seems like if you want to run dual Nvidia GPUs you need an Nvidia mobo. If you want to run dual ATI GPUs you need an ATI mobo. Otherwise, either will run both cards, and I like the features in the Nvidia chipset myself.

werty316

Partition Master
Lothar said:
There was a comment earlier (I don't remember by who) that said the ATI 3200 chipset used 16x PCIe for both graphics slots. I just wanted to point out that the Nforce4 SLI32 (SLI16?) chipset has the same capability.

It seems like if you want to run dual Nvidia GPUs you need an Nvidia mobo. If you want to run dual ATI GPUs you need an ATI mobo. Otherwise, either will run both cards, and I like the features in the Nvidia chipset myself.

True but the major feature of the Crossfire 3200 is it is suppose to have the use of two true 16x PCIE slots.

Lothar

Obliviot
From all the benchmarks I've seen to date, there hasn't been an advantage of using 2 16x slots over 2 8x slots. Current GPUs just don't use all the bandwidth. That's not to say that it won't happen, and when it does dual 16x slots will definately have the advantage, but it's not there today.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Only in high end graphic usage will you see an increase by using the dual 16x board. It's not even by that much. Before purchasing my DFI, I looked into the A8N32-Sli. Performance wise the DFI was at the top, but graphically the Asus won out. The margin wasn't big either; we're talking 10-20 fps, max. Even then, that was at the low end of the graphics level 640*480. If I remember correctly.

Really, the best thing would be a good solid board. If you're not going for the uber oc then get a decent board. A Gigabyte, Abit, Asus, something that's already proven itself. A chip in one mb will perform differently than in another.