What's your headset?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
What headset is everyone using out there?

I've been using my Logitech Premium USB Headset 350 since March, but I recently found that non-USB headsets, don't sound as good as straight audio jacked ones. Using a pair of Altecs that I will be reviewing, and I'm impressed so far.

Speak up peeps, what gear do you have on your head?

Word.

E.M.I.
I have been using Radio shack crap, but ever since i met Spawner, i have been trusting Logitech. So now i use the Logitech Guild wars Bundle. Great sound also.

Bobbythecat

E.M.I.
Here's mine

I have an eDimensional Audio FX Force Feedback Gaming Headset. This thing cost me about $50 incl. shipping and tax, from Newegg. I can flip a switch and a USB powered bass/SW(?) inside the earpiece vibrates like mad listening to trance or going on a shottie rampage in CS:S! The quality of the sound is great, and helps me distinguish wether someone is running behind me or ahead of me. It feels really nice, but I'm getting a bit worried that all that vibration will kill off whatever braincells I have left! :D

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Welcome to the forums Bobby!

Haha, I have a headset I am reviewing at the moment that's similar to those. However, that "booster" doesn't vibrate anything. Maybe somethings loose? I listen to Trance music all the time and have never had that problem, haha.

Bobbythecat

E.M.I.
hmm

My headset is definately vibrating...hmm, it'll be hillarious if it is something that's loose, since it's doing a great job at creating the impression of build-in SubWoofers!

So when I turn on the vibration by flipping a switch, I do feel the vibration that i would feel from standing in front of those gigantic SWs at clubs. It is weird that now the vibration is confined to my ears, and not the entire body :p
When I turn it off, it's just the ordinary sound of bass, playing gentle with my eardrums!

Bobbythecat

E.M.I.
Do you mean, you have a separate mic, sitting in front of you, like in a studio??? Wow, now that's hardcore man. You must be the general in BF2 or something, issuing orders 24/7!! :D

U

Unregistered

correction

Rob -

I don't normally post here, so I'm not sure where to post corrections.
In your review of the Altec Lansing AHS602i Gaming Headset, you mentioned Gone in 60 Seconds. Although you probably don't care and it's not really related to the headset, I think you labled the Mustang wrong. It was a 1967 Shelby Mustang GT 500 - not a '69 Shelby

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Doh! I would've sworn is was a '69.

What is it with me and that number! Thanks a lot for the correction, it's been fixed! You know your stuff :)

skulleh

Obliviot
Hey Rob,

I bought the Altec Lansing AHS602i Gaming Headset about a month ago. I find the sound quality is spectacular; games, music and movies have never sounded better. There are a two issues I have with the headset though.

1) After about 45 minutes of use, my ears start to get really hot and sore, this is annoying because I actually prefer to play games with my headphones on, rather than with my 5.1 speakers.

2) Also, the mic doesn't work well with my Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZX Platinum Pro soundcard. My mic volume is extremely low. Even when I turn all the volume and mic settings in windows and in games up high, and select mic as my recording device, gamers over the net still struggle to hear me over my mic. I saw in your review that you had no troubles with the mic, so I'm thinking it's probably an issue to do with my soundcard drivers or soundcard settings. The headphones and mic are both connected to the front of the I/O drive via two 6.5mm connections I placed on the end of the two 3.5mm connections. Sound input volume is loud and clear, it's just mic output volume that is low and sometimes a bit scratchy. I've been looking all over the Creative forums for a fix for my problem but have yet to find one. Anyway, these are just my experiences with this headset.

U

Unregistered

Just a note:

I got the lower end version of the Altec Lansings you reviewed without SRS (the 502s I think?). They also work great for games which is what I bought them for. Also, my high/low/mute switch for the microphone on the controller works fine. I have a Soundblaster X-Fi card so I use the CMSS 3D it provides for surround sound. Would be interesting to be able to compare that with the 602's SRS. I thought about the 602 but figured I already had 3D output from the soundcard and didn't think I'd like the extra weight and size of the SRS module. The fact that the mic boom swings up and out of the way so you can have a drink/eat and then swings smoothly back to position is nice as well and something not all headsets do well.

I get the typical 2 or so hours of use before I need to take off the headset to give my ears a rest but so far I'm impressed with the sound and the mic when using Ventrilo during online game sessions.

Todd

skulleh

Obliviot
Hi Todd,

I personally find the SRS feature on the 602i headset unnecessary. It doesn't simulate surround sound as well as I thought it would, my audigy 2 zs platinum pro does that for me though, so your not missing out on anything special Todd considering you've got an x-fi soundcard. By the way, my high/low/mute switch controller for my mic works fine as well.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's odd why my High/Mute don't work :/

skulleh, I'm surprised you don't care for the SRS that much. It's definitely not pure surround, but it definitely made everything sound much better imo.

That sucks that your ears actually get sore.. is the headset too tight on your head? Mine definitely get warm after a while, but I don't noticed it until a few hours have passed. s

That's also odd about your mic. If others can hear you at all, and your mic is all the way up.. that's strange. Did you happen to contact Altec Lansing's tech support and see if they have an idea? I wonder if it has anything to do with the specific sound card..

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

skulleh

Obliviot
Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, I'm not into the SRS feature too much. I prefer it off, but I keep a battery in there just in case I want to test it out every now and then.

About the headset on my head, I wouldn't say it's too tight. It's more because I have quite a long head and ears, and the headphones hurt the back part of my ears that curve in. I usually put the headset on further to the front of my head to fix this, but my ears still get really hot quite quickly. I've put a layer of cotton over the ear cups, but they haven't really helped keep my ears cool. I'm pretty sure my ears would get hot with any other headset anyway, so I guess I'll have to get used to it.

I'm still trying to find a solution to my mic issue. I just found out last night that when I play any steam games, such as sven coop and the new DOD: Source, my recording device automatically sets itself to Wave. I have to alt tab out of the game and set it back to Line-In 1/Mic to use my mic in the games. I've read up about this issue, and a lot of people have this issue with audigy 2 soundcards, so I'd say any issues with my mic are soundcard related. Hopefully Creative will release some new drivers that will fix these issues I'm having with my mic. I'll try contacting Altec Lansing and Creative tech support to see if either can give me a solution.

By the way, what do u do with the headset controller? I place mine on my lap whenver I'm using the headset, but it is quite annoying when it falls off.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm with you about the headset.. I have just come to the conclusion that all headsets are uncomfortable, hehe. I should crack open the IceMat Siberia I have on my shelf to see how that feels.. if it's any better or not.

As for the control, I usually leave it up on the desk, near the monitor. It does suck if I move too far and it falls off, but that's not usually too often. It usually stays out of the way. If it was smaller, I wouldn't mind keeping it attached to my shirt.

Ben

Site Developer
I use the DSP-500 for when I need to chat, and I use a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-A500's for listening to music.