What's your headset?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The IceMat Siberias look a lot like the ATH-A500's. I love the design, it's extremely comfortable.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
I currently use a set of Sony MDR-D600 DJ phones... isolation foam around them, bass response is phenominal! I'm interested in getting a pair of the surround sound headsets... but I want to get one with a boom mike and a USB connection.

I've heard that these work better for in game communique... anyone confirm or deny this?
:confused:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I have personally not noticed a difference between using USB or Audio jacks affecting the communication in any game.

*Maybe* if your USB port was working as a 1.1, then it could be a potential problem, but I've never noticed any real issues.

Blumen

Coastermaker
I use a set of Sony MDR-XD200 headphones, running out of an Onkyo 6.1 reciever. They have a nice fat sound to them, lots of mids and lows, without the highs being tinny.

Alternatively, when i don't feel like lugging those things around on my head, i use a pair of SONY MDREX71SL earbuds through the same reciever.

But yeah, i'll agree with whoever said it... screw headphones normally... I'll take my surround sound loudspeakers any day.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Personally I don't use a headset, I do have a set of Koss UR.40 headphones I wear for quiet gaming or music listening/movie watching but I can slap a boom mic I custom bent to work as a headset type mic on them with a wad of sticky tack for gaming.

Blumen

Coastermaker
Rob Williams said:
Welcome to the forums Ciento!

What SATA problem?

Just getting a Caviar to work on my NF7-S. I think it was a stability issue with the 2600-M in retrospect though. :(

Blumen

Coastermaker
Well, there's a story behind the whole thing. I'll put it in here, and if it's too off-topic, then just delete it.

I was running a 2200+/9600xt on an MSI KM2M board, scoring maybe 32k on best overclock, nothing special. (Aquamark). Decided to upgrade the vid card to a 5900se, and a month after that, decided to go after the socket A/5900 record. Picked up a Mobile Barton 2600 and an MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR. Unfortunately, the mobile wouldn't play nice with the Delta, so i threw he 2200 back on that for a little bit while i did some more research on motherboards. Ended up with an AN7, got the 5900 up to about 49k, which wasn't doing it, the ram and now i realize the board was crapping out on me.

A friend from the Aquamark forums just up and gave me his old Asus V9999, which is technically a 6800nu. So i went for that record, got it, destroyed it at 63k, the previous was 61k. The mobo died on me about 2 weeks ago, so i had to shop around again. Ended up getting the NF7-S, and for some reason, it wasn't stable at first with the 2600. I don't think the cpu was the cause of the HDD problems, but rather the whole system wasn't stable enough to make it through the reformat and install the sata drivers. I gave up on it, ran the 2200+ for a while again, got windows up, updated chipsets, and then swapped the 2600 back in, and now everything seems to be ok. I'm up to 54k still at the "stock" 2.0ghz and stock clocks on the v9999, and this time, with a better board and ram, new bios, i'm shooting for 70k.

But i'm sure the sata drive would work now.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Gotcha. Have to love that string of nuisances :|

70K is a great goal.. is that even possible with a 6800NU though? Gotta get your overclocking butt in gear.

Blumen

Coastermaker
Well... that's where the cheating is...

The 2600-M is capable of 10k+ cpu score, so to call it a socket A is kindof not fair sometimes, depending on stepping.

The Asus v9999 is technically a 6800nu because it has the nu gpu, but it's on the Ultra PCB, and requires the dual molex connectors as well, and has the ultra memory. Mine unlocked to 16/6 with no problems, and no hits on the clocks, which are stock at 350/1.0ghz. I've personally seen mine up to 390/1150, and that wasn't really pushing it.

I got the 63k score with the cpu at 12x200, cpu score of only 8.4k. If this BIOS works, i'll be able to run 10x250, which should get me a solid 9.2k, i think, and the card will go up to 13k with the right cpu i think, so it's all dependent on cpu right now. 70k will happen i'm almost positive.

BATTLE

Obliviot
Hi Rob and great site,was reading your reviews of the Altec and Icemat headsets and theres one question,do you have to have an independant sound card ie Audigy because I have onboard sounds was just wondering because looking to buy a new set but dont wont to buy a new sound card aswell.Hope this makes some sense.

:)

Blumen

Coastermaker
I don't believe that you have to, but with a good headset, it'll always help, you'll notice a large difference, unless you happen to have SoundStorm on your motherboard as onboard.

I just use the onboard now that i have SoundStorm.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Welcome to the forums BATTLE. How's things in Scotland?

On-board would be fine! Of course, stand alone sound cards are usually better, but not that much for headphones. After the review, I actually started using the onboard sound, because I didn't want to keep my speakers unplugged.

Having no problems here :D

BATTLE

Obliviot
Thx for the replies Rob ,ciento.The onboard sound on mine is--Xear3D--C Media 3D Audio,things in Scotland are very cold and wet Rob its like this most times.

:)

Blumen

Coastermaker
I don't think that's too bad as far as onboard goes, but if you really like your music or games, it'll be worth getting a new sound card, either internal or external. First though, decide if you're happy or not with the sound. I'm sure that my setup would sound better with an Audigy 2zs or Platinum, but i'm happy with the soundstorm for now. It all depends on personal preference.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
BATTLE, I hear you there.. kind of. Here in Atlantic Canada, it rains often and is foggy even more often :/

If you do want to get away from on-board sound, I do recommend the Chaintech AV-710. It's half the price of an Audigy 2 ZS (Maybe even cheaper than that).

I love mine, but I have a few buggy issues with a few games, such as Serious Sam 2. When I do have stupid problems like that though, I just use the onboard for those games.