What Went Wrong With Windows Wista, Err... Vista

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Microsoft might not have had the most successful product launch with Windows Vista, and for the most part, they really haven't admitted to their mistakes in a straight-forward manner. Maximum PC decided to tackle the facts... what caused Vista to become a 'failure' at launch and also bring up points about what can be done with Windows 7 to prevent the same fate from happening.

Seven main points are listed as attributing factors to Vista's harsh launch, with the main one of course being instability. Incompatibility rolls in at a close second, and others, such as performance, activation, UAC and more scatter the rest. It's probably doubtful that any Vista user out there hasn't been affected by at least every-single one of those.

The article further points out admission from Microsoft that a few things could have been changed in order to have a successful launch. One is that the UAC was poorly implemented, and other was that DirectX 10 being stuck to Vista was also a bad idea. Here's another interesting thought: "He conceded that Apple appeals to more and more consumers because the hardware is slick, the price is OK, and Apple doesn’t annoy its customers (or allow third parties to)."

windows_vista_errorssolutions_091108.jpg

Way back in January 2007, after years of hype and anticipation, Microsoft unveiled Windows Vista to a decidedly lukewarm reception by the PC community, IT pros, and tech journalists alike. Instead of a revolutionary next-generation OS that was chock-full of new features, the Windows community got an underwhelming rehash with very little going for it. Oh, and Vista was plagued with performance and incompatibility problems to boot.

Source: Maximum PC

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Well, I have it on both machines, the only problem I have had is the networking, sometimes it looses the network connection, then I have to refresh the ip and then all is good once again

Merlin