What MP3 player do you use?

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I write this post listening to some NOFX on my old Zune 8GB. I have owned an iPod classic, an iPod Touch and always have my iPhone on me and have for the past 3 years. I have also had a Zune HD.

After selling the Zune HD to a good friend about 9 months ago because it lacked the bluetooth needed to sync it with my car. All I am left wish after various purchases and sells is my iPhone (work supplied, can't sell :) ) and the old Zune 8GB.

The Zune has been on the shelf in my garage for the past year, docked in a set of speakers so I can listen to music while working on the car/lawn mower/drinking. Only recently have I pulled it out of retirement and started to carry it again and upon doing so, I am reminded how much I hate iTunes. Now, hate is a strong work but it's fitting in this case.

The Zune software is superior in every way possible. The Marketplace is full of the same music (minus a few big names, i.e. The Beatles) and the program itself is generally easier to deal with. It's not perfect but it's far better.

iTunes is clunky and difficult to use in comparison so in my opinion, its inferior. While I would rather have a MP3 player that allows me to open up it's file structure and drop music into the player directly, the lesser of two evils for me is the Zune software. Sadly the hardware has been axed but the software remains for Windows 7 phones. Thankfully there is still a better option than iTunes for your MP3 player syncing needs.

So anyway, what are you using? Zune for me please.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
I use an iPod touch, Jailbroken and modded, Yay Cydia! iTunes isn't too bad, but I also have my albums organized as individual playlists.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I don't use one but my wife does. I just bought her one of the latest iPod Nano's with the touch screen. She loves it and doesn't think iTunes is too bad.

Hmm...I walk to work each morning so maybe I should pick up a cheapie.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I just use an old Sansa Express 2GB. Has a microSD slot which I threw a dirt cheap 8GB card into, usually is enough for my needs. If I'm extended traveling I'll change up the music from my laptop or log in to my NAS remotely and grab music files that way, so space isn't an issue with it.

2GB microSD cards cost more than the player itself when I originally bought the thing... Wanted a minimal display for better battery life, the built-in Li-ion battery lasts for an entire day of playing. It also has good FM radio reception, and the device doubles as a flash drive / voice recorder in a pinch.

For the downsides, the Express model has a clunky file organization. Instead of by name it organizes by ID# meta-tags, so if these aren't given in the file data it simply randomly plays files within the album folder. I have to check and edit music before I add it to the player if I want to avoid this, as it doesn't fall back on sorting by file name. Only the Express models had this crazy organization issue though. Also, it doesn't receive HD-radio stations, although those weren't around when I got the player it's something I'd love to have.

But it's a good player otherwise. I pair it with some Shure E3C's that provide total sound isolation and can listen to music easily at lower volumes, including when mowing the lawn. I have a cheap $10 pair of earbuds for when I need to hear people talking to me though. :)

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
My iPod touch is good but I feel I would listen to the radio more if it had it (probably not really though) Anyways I just hate how new models come out EVERY year.

On_Wisconsin

Coastermaker
Creative ZEN X-Fi 8GB, purchased late 2009. Doubt it's in production, as it was already superseded at time of purchase. Does the job and sounds nice

misterd

Obliviot
Sansa Fuse 8GB bought to replace my Sansa E260. I don't need iTunes or other unneeded software to sort out my library for me. I can handle drag and drop fine by myself.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Sansa Fuse 8GB bought to replace my Sansa E260. I don't need iTunes or other unneeded software to sort out my library for me. I can handle drag and drop fine by myself.

I sooo wish that this was an option for iTunes and Zune. Oh, and welcome.