Western Digital SiliconEdge Blue 256GB

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The SSD market is littered with competitors, but up to now, few companies behind mechanical storage have entered the arena. Last month though, Western Digital scratched its name off the list, with the help of its SiliconEdge Blue models. We're taking a look at the 256GB variant here, so let's see how it fares against the competition!

You can read Robert's in-depth look here and discuss it here!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I think I post this after just about every SSD review but the price still needs to come down to the point where most users will spring for one.

When you have a 640GB Caviar Black selling for just shy of $70 it's hard to justify shelling out the cash for a drive like this.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Howdy!

Rob do you know when will we have a affordable ssd?

I'm not Rob, but I'm Robert so that should be close enough! :D

I don't expect prices to fall below $2 per GB (for reputable, good performing SSDs) for another 2 years... it's always hard to guess with technology, but I expect we may see SSDs priced below $1 a GB inside 3-5 years.

Now that demand is close to supply for Intel's X25 drives prices on those have reached MSRP levels at long last. I'm not sure how many Intel was producing, but it wasn't anywhere close to enough to meet the demand for several months...

Intel will be releasing both cheaper and moderately faster SSDs this year. As they have been the principle factor in pushing prices down I think it is a safe bet we will see somewhere around ~$2.25 per GB drives from them. Their current G2 drives are $2.75 per GB.

Last edited:

looisboo

Obliviot
Thx for the answer kougar...Hey can you guys also review the c300 ssd? I have already read the review on some other site but i really like your review more...

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Thx for the answer kougar...Hey can you guys also review the c300 ssd? I have already read the review on some other site but i really like your review more...

We don't have one in route but we'll be sure to put a request in to Micron/Crucial for one. In all likelihood I think we'd need to find some more strenuous tests first! :p